PDA

View Full Version : 375248 Lyman mould ?

Jeff.L
06-22-2010, 09:06 PM
I have a 375248 HP mould, never seen another just was wondering if it was a scarce mould.. Thanks Jeff

Green Frog
06-22-2010, 11:59 PM
I have a 375248 HP mould, never seen another just was wondering if it was a scarce mould.. Thanks Jeff

Jeff,

As you are no doubt aware, the regular 375248 was for many years the standard mould for the .38-55. There were probably a pretty large number of those made, even though they are a little thin on the ground around here these days! :(

The hollow point version of the mould that you have acquired is one that didn't get listed a lot, but like many moulds in "the good old days" could be special ordered from the folks with the orange boxes for a slight extra charge. I would say it is pretty scarce but not truly rare, and if you want to sell/swap it, it will probably go pretty fast.

BTW, as-cast diameters for that particular cherry have been observed as being all over the place from the nominal .375 up to .382 or bigger. A large diameter mould tends to be more useful with .38-55s and smokeless particularly, since some of the bores run a bit over sized. :confused:

Regards,
Froggie