PDA

View Full Version : Aluminum Core Stainless Brused Pot OK for Smelting?

bennadatto
06-22-2010, 12:45 PM
Like the title says...is an aluminum core brushed stainless steel pot ok to use for smelting. The pot is 3qt...if that matters.

Thanks all!!!

mooman76
06-22-2010, 08:02 PM
Just a guess but I would think if the outside is stainless, it should be ok. Why you shouldn't use aluminum is because of the low melting point, it can get week enough to loose your pot of lead melt. With the stainless to suppoert the aluminum, it should be fine unless the stainless is super thin. I have used aluminum in the past with no problems before I found out better.

GP100man
06-23-2010, 11:42 AM
I would`nt with others readily available at low $$

How ever I do smelt small batches in 3qt. pots.

sagacious
06-23-2010, 02:29 PM
Yes, works fine. The aluminum core is completely sealed inside the stainless steel. Proceed as usual, good luck.

D Crockett
06-30-2010, 11:16 AM
one thing that those that have answered this thread is we do not know how thick the stainless steel is I for one would not use it I would get a steel pot made like the one I do out of 20lb propane tank you will never have to worry about them coming apart. pot coming apart there is a issue that new person to casting knows very little about . I had a aluminum pot come apart on me a long time ago when I first learned that you could melt lead . I was lucky I had went into the house to get a drink when the pot came apart if I had been standing there I could of been hurt very badly . I will make this offer just for safety sakes . I will make a pot out of a propane tank for anyone that wants one for what it cost to make one and shipping will be D Crockett