PDA

View Full Version : Browning BDA .380

Dragoon 45
06-21-2010, 11:41 PM
I need to buy a carry gun in the near future. I found a Browning BDA .380 for sale for $650 that looks to be about 90% of original condition. I have never fired one, but it seemed like a good fit for my hand size.

From what little bit of info I have found, these pistols were actually made in Italy but I don't know by who (possibly by Beretta?). Also I have read they are considered to be good shooters. Anyone have one, that can give me some more info?

Thank You.

Combat Diver
06-22-2010, 02:08 AM
The Browning BDA is a licensed copy of the Beretta 84 series. It is made in Italy by Beretta for Browning. Remember Beretta is the worlds oldest firearms company going back over 500 yrs. It has a different slide as it is closed compared to open on the Beretta. Safety is different (slide mounted compared to frame) but mags/trigger are the same. Remember .380 ammo is in short supply right now. If you are comfortable with the gun and it fits your hands then don't let me stop you. Price does seem high.

I would think that a G19 or Smith M&Pc would be just as small and have a better preforming cartridge (9x19). Ammo would be more available and cheaper. Might also consider the KelTec compact 9mms.

dragonrider
06-22-2010, 09:18 AM
I have one, and yes it is a good shooter, eats anything I put in it. I will trying Miha's new 380 HP in it this week. Hoping for good results with it. Got it along with a Browning Hi-Power for $200.00 each.

Dragoon 45
06-22-2010, 03:41 PM
The Browning BDA is a licensed copy of the Beretta 84 series. It is made in Italy by Beretta for Browning. Remember Beretta is the worlds oldest firearms company going back over 500 yrs. It has a different slide as it is closed compared to open on the Beretta. Safety is different (slide mounted compared to frame) but mags/trigger are the same. Remember .380 ammo is in short supply right now. If you are comfortable with the gun and it fits your hands then don't let me stop you. Price does seem high.

I would think that a G19 or Smith M&Pc would be just as small and have a better preforming cartridge (9x19). Ammo would be more available and cheaper. Might also consider the KelTec compact 9mms.

Smith makes a great wheel gun, but I have owned four different Smith auto's over the years and can not say a single good thing about them. Everyone I have owned was a piece of junk out of the box. While I grant that Glock's are good pistols, I do not like their balance. They just don't feel right to me.

I want to find a pistol with SA/DA capability and something smaller than my H&K USP .45.

Thanks for the info on the Browning.

Gun Junkie
06-22-2010, 04:57 PM
I have had a BDA 380 for several years. This is a high quality pistol and will stand up to a lot of use. Mine is very accurate for a 380. If it fits and you are comfortable with the 380 cartridge go for it. The price does seem a little high to me but I'm cheap and bought mine 20 years ago. Combat Driver's info on the BDA380 is right on.

Combat Diver
06-23-2010, 02:22 AM
Another suggestion would be a surpluse CZ82 in 9x18 Makarov. Slightly better ballistic than the .380, 12 rd capicity, DA/SA, large trigger guard for a gloved hand and can be found for around $200. These were Czechosolovakian service pistols that replaced the CZ52 and then got replaced by either the CZ75 or P07 (polymor CZ). There is also the CZ83 which is the commercial verison in .380. Here is a pic of my CZ collection, the 83 is in the middle. All three of these can be carried DA or SA/cocked and locked.

http://www.hunt101.com/data/500/medium/9809cz_s_resized.JPG

NickSS
06-23-2010, 05:57 AM
I had a Berretta version of the Browning BDA and liked it but it was a bit large for a 380. The double staked mag made it harder to hide than a flatter gun would be. Personally today I use a Bursa 380 Thunderer for the same purpose I used the Barretta. It is more compact but does hold less rounds but then that makes it easier to carry. It shoots as well as the BDA and you can buy them brand new for under $300.

DanWalker
06-23-2010, 11:41 AM
Sorry for the hijack.
Take a look at Bersa pistols if you're looking for a good reliable carry gun.
Wife bought me a thunder 380 as a fathers day present 2 years ago.
GREAT little pistol! Superbly accurate, great balance, and utterly reliable. Mine will keep a mag full of ammo on a 10" steel plate offhand at 50 yards!
I load mine with the Mihec cast HP's over a good dose of Red Dot.
And as far as ballistic effectiveness goes. I've finished off 3 antelope and a mule deer with it. I don't know of a human on this earth that will be alive 5 seconds after I shoot them in the FACE with it a couple times. Putting it against their sternum and pulling the trigger a couple times will also have the same effect. I agree, it's not enough gun to stop a full blown riot, but that's not it's purpose. It just helps me ALWAYS obey the number one rule of gunfighting. HAVE A GUN!