PDA

View Full Version : Marlin 1893 .32-40 Reloading

David2011
06-21-2010, 08:43 PM
Guys,

I have zero knowledge in this area. I'm getting my Dad's old Model 1893 Marlin in .32-40 which is a black powder rifle according to the markings on the barrel. I keep seeing that Blackhorn 209 is safe in BP guns. Does anyone have any first hand knowledge on loading this cartridge? I'm very aware that traditionally it was considered unsafe to load any BP gun with any smokeless but was looking for info on the newer powders.

Thanks,
David

John Boy
06-21-2010, 09:47 PM
David, Blackhorn 209 is a nitro based substitute powder, really made for modern steel rifles. There is no downloading data for originals with mild steel. I would not use the stuff in an original. Stick with original gunpowder (black) ...
the Lyman 319247, a 165 gr bullet, with 40gr of FFFg

Buckshot
06-22-2010, 02:22 AM
............David2011, it'd be a good idea to hold off buying a mould for the rifle until you get it. You'd be well to slug the barrel to see what you're dealing with first. You may find yourself using 8mm boolits in order to fit the groove. if so the Lyman 323470 drops a 165gr RN Loverin design with a GC. You can also have the mould modified a couple ways. If you're wanting to use PB slugs the GC shank can be bored out. Also the cavities' noses can be drilled and permanent pins fitted to give you a FN, in deference to the tube magazine.

Saeco also offers 2 excellent FNPB moulds for the 32-40. One of 165 grs and the other a 200 gr. Both are a tapered schuetzen type (looks like a Loverin) with base bands going about .323". Hopefully the barrel of your dad's rifle is in good shape. Accurate powder lists a couple smokless loads for the 32-40 commensurate with BP pressures, and there may be others. I take it your barrel is marked, "For Black Powder Only" ?

.............Buckshot

Hondo Lane
06-22-2010, 09:06 AM
I have been loading for a 94 Winchester in 32-40 which was manufactured about 1896. I have been using a "Lee" mold that throws a .323 slug weighing in at 175 grns with a gas check. I am still tinkering abit with loads but 10grns of SR 4756 gives decent accuracy in my gun.I believe my velocity is around 1250-1300fps. I too have considered black powder loading but haven't got around to it. (I don't like the clean-up)Your Marlin should handle smokeless powder and as always start with a minimum loading(from a good manual) and work your way up. These old guns are finicky about powder. One brand of powder will give you pie plate groups and the next the size of a snuff can. Just my $.02...HL...

David2011
06-22-2010, 11:33 PM
Buckshot, the barrel does say "For Black Powder" but it seems that a lot of people are shooting this rifle with mild smokeless loads. I'm not sure I'll shoot it enough to cast for it; might just buy custom boolits from one of the hand casters, thinking they might be able to accomodate the bore size once it's been determined. Dad has never fired the rifle. He got it around 1965. If I shoot it 100 rds/year I would be surprised. I have plenty of other casting needs like the STI in the avatar. It needs LOTS of boolits.

Hondo, it figures. I just emptied a bottle of 4756 making ammo for the STI. Couldn't wait to use it up. I didn't like it in the STI which is a .40 S&W. The recoil impulse seemed very sharp and snappy and it didn't smoke much less than Titegroup. It was not conducive to putting lots of rounds out quickly at the IPSC matches. Thanks for the info.

David

Hondo Lane
06-23-2010, 08:13 AM
Guns are like women David. You have to find what powder turns them on. And they can be VVVVERY fussy about what they eat. Thats the fun part of reloading and casting. Finding what makes them tick...Good Luck...

David2011
06-23-2010, 01:16 PM
HL, Drifting from the .32-40 subject, I just want my gun to recoil like Blake Miguez's does. We shoot the same gun; his just doesn't move much. His dad told me that at one time he was loading with less powder and seating the bullets deeper (.40 S&W) which reduced the recoil impulse while maintaining the velocity. It couldn't be that Blake is half my age!

David

excess650
06-23-2010, 01:19 PM
The Marlin barrels marked "For Blackpowder" are soft and will wear quickly if used with jacketed bullets. These barrels were produced at the same time as the early "Special Smokeless Steel" barrels, and action strength should be the same whether color cased or not. I would shoot plainbase lead bullets in that barrel, and even keep gas checks to a minimum. Once shot out, it could be rebored and rechambered, or relined with a modern steel liner suitable with even jacketed bullets.

David2011
06-23-2010, 08:25 PM
Excess650, 100% lead is all I ever intended to shoot in it. Do you have any load experience with the .32-40? I don't intend to shoot it enought to require a relining. It's a pretty nice rifle.

David

excess650
06-23-2010, 09:22 PM
I shot BP from an old Winchester Highwall 32-40, but didn't keep the Ballard long enough to fool with it.

If I were to be shooting smokeless and cast in a 32-40 I would be looking at 4227, 4759, and AA5744 for powder, but not necessarily in that order. Those old 32-40s will have a 1-16" twist so should do better with 165gr bullets than 200gr. Cast 'em soft and large! Large pistol primers may yield better accuracy provided your firing pin doesn't puncture 'em.

Doubletap
08-12-2010, 12:44 AM
The "For Black Powder" marked Marlins are the "B" grade rifles, originally produced for use with cast slugs and BP. Supposedly they were produced with blued receivers instead of the case coloured ones of the "Special Smokeless" marked ones. I've had a few over the years, most in 38-55 and they worked very well with j-slugs or cast. I used the same loads as the smokeless marked rifles which drove the 260 gr. slugs about 1700 fps with pretty good accuracy. You probably won't shoot enough j-slugs to worry about bore wear, but the nice rifling in them sure works well for cast stuff, and strength isn't an issue. I currently have a rotted out "B" barrel at Bob Hoyt's getting relined bacl tp 38-55 (one of my favorite rounds). Now I need a donor '93 action to fit it too.