PDA

View Full Version : Encore 300H&H Custom Shop...

Curlymaple42
06-21-2010, 08:33 PM
Just scored an Encore finally and after calling TC and stripping it down and well, looking at it, figured out it is an original TC Custom Shop Encore, stainless, in 300H&H Magnum with camo furniture. Factory muzzle brake, iron sights, IronSighter scope mount, drilled and tapped from the factory. It has light rust spots on it, but they buffed out pretty easy. I think someone got a moose permit a bunch of yrs ago, sighted the thing in, killed a moose, then hung the gun on the wall. Seriously. Bore is mint but there must have been moisture around given that light surface rust it had.

So my dilemma is this. I don't want a 300H&HMagnum and was planning on just selling the barrel and scope mount. But since it was a complete custom shop gun, would I be better off selling the whole thing and getting what I want? I just don't need another caliber to handload and I want something my girl can hunt with when she gets to be 10.

HEEEELP!!!!!

45r
06-22-2010, 11:04 AM
Since you want to have a rifle that your daughter would like I'd sell it and get a 357 max or 30-30 encore or contender.Both shoot cast well and recoil is light.The max being straight wall would be the easier to work with and brass life is very good.The 30-30 should be resized to have 1 thou headspace to breechface.My most accurate T/C barrel is a 7-tcu but I don't have a mold for it.I shoot cast in the 357Max and like it a lot.I got a 357 mag T/C barrel and a dave mansom rifle reamer to get the best accuracy.MGM makes very good 357 max barrels.

JSH
06-23-2010, 04:08 AM
figured out it is an original TC Custom Shop Encore, stainless, in 300H&H Magnum with
It has light rust spots on it, but they buffed out pretty easy
I just don't need another caliber to handload and I want something my girl can hunt with when she gets to be 10.

I have a few TC's in SS and have not seen one rust? Maybe somone put a SS bake on finish on it? A custom shop barrel will more than likley be marked as such, or Fox Ridge, TC Custom Shop or on othe the other custom barrel makers.

LOP for the Encore will be a bit much for a 10 year old, unless she is tall for her age. Also will be a bit on the heavy side if much packing is to be done. But on the weight side, it helps with recoil.
The statement above regarding the 30-30 and headspace, may be right for his barrel frame combo. I have fooled with enough TC's long enough the sizing brass for them properly, I doubt there are two alike.
If it didn't have a break on it I would suggest at least trying it with CB's. It would be a good candidate for trail boss along with a few other powders. I dislike TC's brake design. If it came with brass and dies i would still say to try it.
I prefer a rimmed case on the TC's. IMHO anything that can be chambered in the Contender is a waste in the Encore. You don't mention what you load for now so I don't know what you are after, or what you plan to use it for.
jeff

leadman
06-23-2010, 11:40 PM
The stainless that T/C uses will lightly rust. Saw a 300 Win. Mag. barrel in a gunshop last week that had light rust on it. Also bought a Ruger revolver that was lightly rusted.

If the receiver is not engraved or has gold in the standard engaving it is unlikely it is a Custom Shop gun. The barrel will be marked as a Custom Shop if it is so. I have several. It could be a ProHunter, especially if the barrel is fluted and the stock has rubber inserts and the forearm has rubber grip surfaces.

You could buy another barrel, either T/C or aftermarket in a smaller caliber. T/C's Custom shop seems to be out of business from what I hear.
Ed's Contenders has a good selection and prices. Good Guy to deal with and takes trades.
I have several Bergera barrels I bought from Natchez and they are pretty accurate, but some do have some flaws.