PDA

View Full Version : Bergara Barrels

Marlin Junky
06-21-2010, 06:03 PM
Anyone have experience with CVA Apex rifles?

I'd like to know how tall the lands are on the Bergara barrels CVA uses for their center fire rifles. I know the barrels are button rifled but that doesn't necessarily mean the grooves are too shallow for HV boolits.

MJ

BCB
06-21-2010, 06:52 PM
Marlin Junky,

There is a website for a guy who is quite knowledgable on T/C stuff...

He has done work for me and it was good...

You might want to browse the website and see if there are and answers to you question...

http://bellmtcs.com/store/

But, someone on here may actually have more experiece as this is "Cast Boolits"...

Good-luck...BCB

Marlin Junky
06-22-2010, 03:12 AM
Been there... I don't think there's one word written about internal barrel geometry or cast boolits. Nevertheless, I just sent him an email.

Thanks,
MJ

P.S. BTW, going to Bellm's website again reminded me about the re-boring/re-rifling services provided by Jesse Ocumpaugh. So thanks again even though Ocumpaugh doesn't turn out small bore cut rifling jobs some day I may have him convert something to .338 or .358.

bigdog454
06-22-2010, 10:55 AM
I have a accura ML with a berger barrel, shoots like a shotgun with buck shot. can only keep 2 out of 5 shots on the paper at 100 yards, they said send it back. Guess I'll find out in 2 to 4 weeks when I get it back, and I'll let ya know.
BD

Marlin Junky
06-22-2010, 02:30 PM
I'm really glad I contacted Bellm because he indicated Jesse Ocumpaugh will eventually tool up for reboring and rifling to .30 caliber. Currently the smallest reboring job he tackles is .338 so perhaps we should contact him to provide some incentive.

I for one would really like a CVA Apex in 30-30 and 30-40 with 5 groove cut rifling.

MJ

rbstern
06-22-2010, 03:59 PM
I've just started shooting a Bergara barrel in .223 with my Optima Elite. It's early yet, but the results are encouraging. I'd love to have a 30-30 barrel. May have to settle for a .308 Win.

Marlin Junky
06-23-2010, 04:28 AM
rbstern,

How many grooves does your .223 barrel have? When you get around to slugging it and shooting some HV boolits through it, please let us know the details. I was thinking of starting my Apex collection with a .222 followed by some .30 to .35 caliber custom barrels.

MJ

rbstern
06-23-2010, 09:52 AM
MJ, looks like a six groove barrel to me.

I have no plans for shooting cast in this rifle. In fact, I intend the 223 for cheap FMJ centerfire rifle plinking, for when I don't feel like casting (yes, I know...blasphemy).

Marlin Junky
06-23-2010, 02:01 PM
MJ, looks like a six groove barrel to me.

I have no plans for shooting cast in this rifle. In fact, I intend the 223 for cheap FMJ centerfire rifle plinking, for when I don't feel like casting (yes, I know...blasphemy).

Take two aspirin and call me in the morning.

MJ