PDA

View Full Version : Lyman 45 issue

jason
06-21-2010, 12:57 PM
Hey all,

I have on old Lyman 45 that WAS in good working condition. I got a little exited (my first time using a lube sizer) and started sizing away on 45 cal boolits in order to use up the lube that was in there.

To make a long story short, I broke the threaded rod that runs through the middle of the lube reservoir. The rod runs into what looks like a small metal cup that was recessed into the bottom of the reservoir. The rod broke just above this cup.

What I think happened (I haven't had a chance to get the leftover lube and the parts out yet) is that the machine ran out of lube and I pulled too hard on the lever. The rod may have been weak to begin with.

Any ideas on how to fix this? I didn't know if there was a source that I might check for parts. I need to find the threaded rod, the piston and whatever else is inside the lube reservoir.

Thanks,

Jason

Duckiller
06-21-2010, 02:49 PM
Jason; Start with Lyman Customer Service. They may have a replacement part or know where you can get one. another possibility the rod for 450 or 4500 may be a suitable replacement. The people that man the phones have always been knowledgeable and helpful. Lyman phone nos are 1-800-225-9626 or 1-800-423-9706, Mon-Fri 9:00am-4:30pm EDT.

jcwit
06-21-2010, 03:26 PM
Yes, the parts from the #45 interchange with parts for the #450 & #4500. While you're at it, I'd suggest getting the newer pressure piston with "O" rings. Total cost less shipping around $20--$25 bucks.

jason
06-21-2010, 06:39 PM
Thanks for the information guys. The 45 was really working great and I hated the thoughts of junking it. If I get a deal on another I may pick it up just for spare parts. I was amazed how easy it was to operate for an old piece of equipment.

fryboy
06-21-2010, 07:45 PM
+1 on the replacement w/ the new pressure nut !!! i love the old 45!!!! while waiting on parts would be a great time to clean it !!! and a lil heat often helps both with the cleaning and the using ,( not sure what kind of lube is in it ) i use a harder lube in mine