PDA

View Full Version : Random Swaging die, Needs Identification

Milltown353
06-21-2010, 12:03 AM
I got this die in with a whole box of regular reloading dies. I don't Swage or know much about it.

http://i23.photobucket.com/albums/b375/Labrador6029/dies002.jpg
http://i23.photobucket.com/albums/b375/Labrador6029/dies005.jpg

Ignore the top punch.

Whole lot I purchased.

http://i23.photobucket.com/albums/b375/Labrador6029/dies006.jpg

deltaenterprizes
06-21-2010, 07:45 PM
It could be a backup die for a primer pocket swaging die set

JonB_in_Glencoe
06-21-2010, 08:10 PM
I'm not sure what that is BUT...just an FYI.
"Wells" made reloading dies and presses and other items for Herters back in the day.
Herters screwed Him over so He went out on his own.
H.F. Wells or R.F. Wells, I can't remember which?
He was located in Howard Lake MN, just 25 miles from Me.
I have a Press and a scale.
Jon

Pressman
06-22-2010, 09:30 AM
That is an RF Wells primer pocket swagging die, missing the button that fits the primer pocket.

Wells, Bystrom Bros., Minnesota Shooters Supply are all the same. Part of a collaboration between Bystrom, who was the actual casting outfit, and Wells to enter the reloading tool business after a parting of the ways with Herter's around 1961. Why the parting I don't know, but speculation is that considerable design changes to the Herter's tool line were taking place and Wells was not getting recognition for his ideas. Wells tools have a lot of the same ideas incorporated in them that showed up on the Herter's tool line at the same time.

Ken

deltaenterprizes
06-22-2010, 12:20 PM
Do I win the door prize?

Milltown353
06-22-2010, 12:53 PM
So what is it worth? What does the piece missing look like?

Pavogrande
06-22-2010, 04:12 PM
I may be missing something here, but the pocket swage "button" appears to be alongside the die in the top photo and group photo -- fits in a 06 shellholder and swages 06 base GI case primer pockets.--
Value? I would guess about 50% of a new one, assuming the button is in good shape. Most new ones come with "buttons" for large and small primers -
I actually prefer this style as it supports the case when swaging the pocket rather than putting all the load on the case rim. I think the "new" style is a bit faster to use though. my ha-penny

Pressman
06-27-2010, 09:21 AM
I may be missing something here, but the pocket swage "button" appears to be alongside the die in the top photo and group photo -- fits in a 06 shellholder and swages 06 base GI case primer pockets.--
Value? I would guess about 50% of a new one, assuming the button is in good shape. Most new ones come with "buttons" for large and small primers -
I actually prefer this style as it supports the case when swaging the pocket rather than putting all the load on the case rim. I think the "new" style is a bit faster to use though. my ha-penny

You arn't missing anything, what is missing is my post with a picture of the die and button. It was here, now its gone.
The top picture, above shows a top punch not the button.
Ken