PDA

View Full Version : Rossi Rio Grande

helice
06-20-2010, 11:05 PM
This may be really old news for y'all but it was news to me.
www.rossiusa.com/news-detail.cfm?newsID=27
shows a Taurus built rifle that looks like the twin of a 336 Marlin.
What's your take on it? Helice???

corvette8n
06-21-2010, 11:05 AM
see
http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?t=86781

helice
06-21-2010, 12:56 PM
Didn't see you down there. P.S. Nice tractor.

afish4570
10-02-2011, 11:10 PM
Anyone shooting one yet. Just wondering how strong and accurate they are??afish4570

Simon_S
01-11-2013, 12:49 PM
Just got my rifle looks good, not had chance to shoot it yet, will be going at the end this month.
I have had to field strip the rifle down the bag of silica had split open that was in the box. Gave
good clean out with some brunox and cleaned the barrel out. Will see how i get on with it.

joec
01-11-2013, 01:19 PM
I've had one for a while now paying $437 out the door at Bud's (brick and mortar store not on line). Now mine is 45-70 and breaks down like the 336 Marlin so no surprise there. No no hammer extensions will work but Rossi made the hammer wider so it isn't a problem with a scope mounted. Now I went to buy a new marlin in 45-70 and compared 2 marlins one SS and one blued both of which where in the $700 price range. Now both marlins (neither a 336) had minor flaws in the way the stocks fitted up and blemishes in the bluing on that gun. The SS steal finish looked good. Now the Rossi fit and finish externally was perfect on the one I looked at (and bought). Cycling was gritting feeling on both Marlins while the Rossi was smooth. Now that could simply be caused by packing or other things so don't know as I couldn't tear them down to see. I decided to take the Rossi.

When I got it home I stripped down completely and cleaned the factory packing grease which is pretty thick on the Taurus/Rossi guns generally. Now as for finish inside all I can say is it was if not the best close to the best internally finished fire arm I've ever own and that is a lot over 45 years. Now before assembling it I checked each piece of it and it need a bit of fluff and shine on the carrier at the front which didn't take but a couple of minutes to remove the slight burr. Once assembled with some dummy rounds I found the loading gate really hard to depress so removed it and took a bit off of it and now it is pretty easy but works perfectly.

Now last but not least was the plastic magazine follower which I decided to try a Marlin version of which will not work due to the spring diameter being larger in the Rossi. So I contacted two companies with the size I needed those being http://www.thesmithshop.com/magfollow.html and http://beartoothmercantile-2.myshopify.com/products/magazine-follower-stainless-steel-357 both of which built them for me and now sell them on their sites. I've since sighted it in using a Bushnell Banner 1.5-4.5x32mm scope recommended to me by Ranch Dog and it works perfectly. I've shot a number of loads all various 405 gr cast bullets as well as a box of Hornady 45-70 Government 250 gr Monoflex Leverevolution. My loads where loaded with and without gas checks depending on the powder used. I used Black Powder, Trailboss, Unique, Universal, IMR 4198, IMR 3031 and Reloader 7. For the most part all shot well as the expected ranges and purposes with matching recoil for each. Now this gun can handle power levels of a modern lever gun however they can't handle as much as the 1895 models by Marline or Ruger so keep that in mind if that is what you want. In my case for hunting and target shooting it is perfect as it will truly stop anything on this planet with the right bullet powder combination. All in all I've very happy with the choice and wouldn't hesitate to buy another. I also own a Rossi 92 in 45 Colt but no where near as good of fit and finish as the Rio Grande was but for the money these aren't hand built guns.

Oh and was forced to remove the rear iron sight for the scope which I've since put a flat plug into which is not shown in the picture.