PDA

View Full Version : Adding GC to Boolit without sizing in LEE sizer

hk33ka1
06-20-2010, 09:36 PM
Has anyone tried running a Boolit through a slightly larger Lee sizer die to add a gas check?

Example I would be wanting to use as cast boolits with a GC without buying other sizing or checking tools. Say a .312 mold throws .313 and I want to add a check without ordering a custom die, say using the standard .314 die. Will it crimp the 30 cal check in place like a tighter say .312 die would, even though it is not sizing the lead?

Heavy lead
06-20-2010, 09:46 PM
Well, sometimes yes, it just depends on the diameter and thickness of the check as well as the diameter of the gas check band, recess, whathaveyou. I don't think there is anyway of knowing without doing it, but if it fits fairly tight now and the check has a bigger diameter than the sizing die by much at all, I would say yes.

454PB
06-20-2010, 09:56 PM
Use a micrometer to measure both the recess area on the base of the boolit and the O.D. of the gas check. Example: The recessed area on the boolit is .260", the gas check has an O.D. of .316", and it fits snuggly on the boolit base. Running this combination through a .314" sizing die will give you .002" of "bite" onto the boolit base. Since we all used non-crimping gas checks for many years, you should be fine. I'd probably feel better if the seated boolit held the gas check within the case neck, just for safety sake.

I can tell you from personal experience that I use .30 caliber Hornady checks on several cast designs and size to .311, and they are just fine.

hk33ka1
06-21-2010, 12:04 AM
Thanks, I'll give it a try when I get the .314 sizer and see how it goes.

StarMetal
06-21-2010, 02:50 PM
Both the inside and outside diameters of the gas check are important. The outside has to be larger then the sizer die you are using in order for it to get crimped on the bullet. The inside diameter is important because if it's larger then the gas check shank on the bullet the sizer die may not size the gas check enough to crimp onto that shanks. The ideal setup is the gas check fits the bullet shank snug and the gascheck is large enough that the sizer die sized it and crimps it on.

Now there is a method to crimp a gas check, made from an aluminum disc cut from a pop or beer can, onto a plain base bullet that wasn't meant to have a gas check. It's a modification you make to a Lyman or RCBS sizer die.

hk33ka1
08-06-2010, 11:18 PM
My Lee 303 (.312) 185gr Mold and .314 sizer die arrived today. Cast some WW Boolits at .313 183gr and pan lubed then added Hornady .30 GCs and ran throught the Lee .314 Sizer and they crimped on perfect leaving the boolit unsized. Now to load some up and shoot them in .303.

Also considering a 7.62x54 to go with the mold. For fun I ran a half dozen through my .309 Lee sizer and they seem good to go as well.

coloraydo
08-07-2010, 12:16 AM
Now there is a method to crimp a gas check, made from an aluminum disc cut from a pop or beer can, onto a plain base bullet that wasn't meant to have a gas check. It's a modification you make to a Lyman or RCBS sizer die.[/QUOTE]

StarMetal,
Can you elaborate more on this?
Thanks

hk33ka1
08-07-2010, 01:12 AM
It appears that member is now banned? I don't know of his method myself.

Artful
08-07-2010, 01:28 AM
There used to be a disc I had that was cut to specification in an NRA article you put the disc on your lube sizer (RCBS in my case) and then put the gas check in the disc with the bullet on it an levered it down the depression in the disc was cut on a taper so as you pushed it down you crimped the gas check on it. - I don't know if I still have it as haven't be casting much in last 17 years and so I haven't had a need for it and I've moved a couple of times - I'll have to see if I can find something on the internet or in my library.

Ah, the NRA Cast boolit book

http://a.imageshack.us/img413/3313/p1010273.th.jpg (http://img413.imageshack.us/i/p1010273.jpg/)

click picture to enlarge - Uploaded with ImageShack.us (http://imageshack.us)

skimmerhead
08-07-2010, 03:46 AM
i put gc on plain base boolits useing a rcbs boolit puller, you take the shank of the boolit put it in the correct collet as far in as you want the gc to fit, then tighten a little on the boolit puller and you now have a boolit with a gc shank. it takes a little practice but once you have the feel for it you can put a gc shank on allmost any boolit. i've used it on a few diff. calibers. snap your gc on and run it thru your sizer die.

skimmerhead