PDA

View Full Version : suggestions for lyman 245496

brotherdarrell
06-20-2010, 08:31 PM
Hello all, hoping to get some suggestions as what to do with this 'problem' mold.

the picture tells most of the story. As cast they are .2490 - .2495, after being pushed through a Lee .243 sizer they are .244, but the gas check shank is mostly gone and the base of the bullet is uneven, not to mention that lube grooves are pretty much gone.

I do have a 25/06, how much larger can you paper patch a boolit and still get good accuracy?

brother darrell

Rockydog
06-20-2010, 10:08 PM
Brotherdarrell, I cast a 245497 and put them though the lee sizer butt end first. It makes a flat spot on the nose but otherwise seems to work better. The prairie dogs can't tell the difference. My plan is to get another push pin and form it to match the nose. You are lubing before sizing? I only ask as I don't see any lube on the boolits. RD

brotherdarrell
06-20-2010, 10:37 PM
rockydog, I gave them a good shot of case lube after sticking the first bullet in the die. At the time I did'nt realize how large the bullets actually were.

The crazy part is that I almost get a perfect plain base after sizing, there is just a ring of lead that extends around the base of the boolit. If I could get a push pin that was about .242 I would probobly have a really good plain base boolit.

I will give your idea a try. This mold throws very consistent boolits, and I have no intention of shooting past 100 yards with this boolit any way. Thanx

brother darrell

brotherdarrell
06-20-2010, 11:28 PM
rockydog, it could be that you are a genius. Is it possible that this is an improvement on the origonal design, at least for hunting purposes?

I can definitely see this as a coyote buster within 100 yards. That flat point may change everything. I guess I will have to order gas checks and start working on a load for the ole ruger m77 .243.

This is why I love this place

Brother darrell

justingrosche
06-21-2010, 02:27 AM
Just curious, a couple of questions, if you dont mind. Whats your alloy? and whats your interior dimensions on your mold and your sizer? These still look a little excessively sized compared to what I have seen with the 243 Loverin Boolits. I have some of RD's 245497 Boolits and the shank of them are 245 cast with straight WW. My 245496 are 243.5 cast with #2 duplicate.
Justin

brotherdarrell
06-21-2010, 03:02 PM
I would agree that they are excessively sized. The alloy is straight ww. I don't have a good way of measuring the interior dimensions, but as dropped they are .249+. The sizer is a Lee push through .243. After sizing the boolits are a very uniform .244 on all bands, with uniform lube grooves, shallow but uniform. As far as changing the alloy, all I have is pure pb, stick on ww and 95-5 solder.

brother darrell

BCall
06-21-2010, 11:09 PM
Will a 6mm gas check fit on the shank? I have one that casts at .247, but gator checks fit fine. I snap the checks on, lube them, then push through size them and they come out fine. Your's may still have problems though, but lubing first will help keep the lube grooves from getting so small.

brotherdarrell
06-22-2010, 09:44 PM
BCall, I don't know if a check will fit or not as I don't have any yet. The diameter across the seam on the shank measures .235" and about .075" in length. I know a guy locally that has some checks and am going to try to borrow a few to see if they will work or not.

brother darrell

justingrosche
06-22-2010, 10:08 PM
I find your results surprising considering your not even casting with clip on WW. Your casting them really fat for some reason, something is amiss, I just cant put my finger on it yet.
A couple more questions. Is there any flashing or whiskers? Is the mold not closing all the way? Out of round?

brotherdarrell
06-22-2010, 10:36 PM
Actually I am using clip on wheel weights(re post #6). I am not running hot enough to get any frosting, nor am I getting any whiskers or flashing. Diameter is .249 at right angle to seam and .2495 - .250 on the seam. So it is a little out of round, but not excessively so. I believe the mold just casts large boolits.

brother darrell