PDA

View Full Version : M1-Carbine Civilian VS. Military

terryt
06-20-2010, 06:03 PM
Hi:

I am looking to buy a M1-Carbine to shoot. A friend of mine wants to sell me his Auto Ordnance M1-Carbine that he bought 3 years ago and has fried 300 rounds thought it.
He wants $ 500.00 for it. I went to the CMP website and saw that I can get a Military one for about $ 500.00 to $ 600.00.
While I am not interested it the collecting part of it and want to shoot it, is the Auto Ordnance the better way to go.

I know that the Military ones will go up in valve.

Thanks,

Terry

Harry O
06-20-2010, 08:21 PM
I would suggest getting the CMP carbine, *IF* they have any decent ones right now. They seem to be sold out most of the time lately (except for the ones in worst condition). Don't even bother with Rack Grade unless you are planning to spend more to have it rebuilt. Service Grade is the lowest I would go.

Read this: http://www.m1carbinesinc.com/carbine_kahr.html

The homepage is http://www.m1carbinesinc.com/

There is a lot of good information there about all the commercial carbines. From what I have read about this one, it is NOT completely interchangeable with military parts. It is a lot better than the last Universal ones, but in 20 years, you will probably not be able to get certain parts for it. You will always be able to get military parts.

I recently got a Service Grade M1 carbine from the CMP and it is certainly worth the money. It is not in as good a condition as a Service Grade M1 carbine that that came from them many years ago (and which was foolishly traded off), but it is accurate enough and everything works. The metal is in very good condition and the metal finish is about 95%. The wood is not as good being dark and with many handling marks. No splits, though. I have been thinking about refinishing it, but have not decided yet.

Combat Diver
06-21-2010, 03:02 AM
Check yesterday and all that is left at CMP online is rack grade. There maybe some Service Grade M1 Carbines if you vist either the North/South store.

NickSS
06-21-2010, 06:26 AM
I have an auto ordinance M1 carbine and like it. I did change the flip sight for an adjustable one as I like to shoot various loads and want to be able to adjust for windage. I have put a few hundred rounds through mine and it functions and shoots better than any GI carbine I ever owned (and I have owned and shot several dozen of them). The quality of manufacture in the one I have is excellent and is far ahead of any Plainfield, Iver Johnson or Universal carbine I ever owned of shot. As for parts interchangability I have been shooting rifles for nearly 45 years and have replaced only half a dozen parts on rifles in all that time because they broke or wore out. Personally I would buy an extra extractor and sear and call it good as the rest of the parts do not wear out at least in the average shooters life time.

3006guns
06-21-2010, 07:47 AM
First of all, thanks for bringing this to my attention......I didn't even realize a GOOD repro was being made! I've owned a couple of carbines over the years (long gone) and right now I just have a Universal. No problems so far, but it has a spotty reputation and was designed without the bolt hold open button, which I hate.

Nick, thanks for your mini review. I'll be looking at these very closely now.

StarMetal
06-21-2010, 09:04 AM
Couple things with the AO Carbine. I believe they still make them so if you have any problems it should be a factory fix. I would think to that the bore and groove would be dead on for a 30 caliber being recent made and modern...that is .300 bore and .308 groove. You may not find that in a WWII carbine.

I lucked out as an acquaintance of mine that I buy salvaged auto parts from had a National Postal Meter and he just hates carbines because they are too small for him. He's a giant fellow. Got it off him for $200 few years ago. It's in dang good shape and I love shooting it. Can't figure out why I didn't get one years and years ago.

corvette8n
06-21-2010, 11:02 AM
I've got a rack grade IBM M1 carbine from the CMP and it shoots great, I did 48 points better in the John Garand shoot than the previous year using an AR15.
Of course I'm a collector and a computer person by trade so thats why I opted for the IBM.

Btw I had a blue sky imported Inland that was pretty worn and shot 6 in groups at 100 yards, needless to say that was traded off when I got the IBM.

StarMetal
06-21-2010, 11:57 AM
I've got a rack grade IBM M1 carbine from the CMP and it shoots great, I did 48 points better in the John Garand shoot than the previous year using an AR15.
Of course I'm a collector and a computer person by trade so thats why I opted for the IBM.

Btw I had a blue sky imported Inland that was pretty worn and shot 6 in groups at 100 yards, needless to say that was traded off when I got the IBM.

Please describe that John Garand shoot. I don't know about you, but I can't see myself beating my AR 15 with a Carbine.

leadman
06-25-2010, 09:01 PM
I bought 2 rack grade carbines from the CMP. I have shot 1" 100 yard groups with one, 4X scope, handload with the Sierra 110gr HP.
The other will do about 4" with Aquila factory loads, a little better with cast.

Had a Universal with a beautiful piece of wood on it and it was a good shooter with no problems.

corvette8n
06-26-2010, 06:57 PM
Please describe that John Garand shoot. I don't know about you, but I can't see myself beating my AR 15 with a Carbine.

open sights 100 yards, fmj ammo, military calibers.
Slow fire standing, 10 shots in 10 minutes
Rapid fire sitting or kneeling, 10 shots in 70 seconds
Rapid fire prone, 10 shots in 60 seconds
Slow fire prone, 20 shots in 20 minutes

I think I did better cause I could see the sights better on the carbine then my AR15.
to be fair I had only shot the AR one time before the match, but did about 40 points better than my SKS the previous year.

rondog
06-26-2010, 10:44 PM
I'd think $500 for a 3-year old Auto Ordnance M1 carbine would be a great deal! New ones are pretty pricey, aren't they? I think I'd jump on that like a horny chimp.