PDA

View Full Version : Really great .30-30 micro groove boolit or trouble?

Gray Fox
06-20-2010, 03:30 PM
OK, here's the story. A couple months ago I got a real deal on a Marlin 336C .30-30 that had less than a box of shells through it ($200.) I cleaned what little jacket fouling it had and decided I wanted to make it a cast boolit only gun. The 311041s cast of WW drop at .310, but I wanted .311. As I was putting my last Midway order together I noticed they had the 2 cav Lee C312-185-1R for less than $17, so I ordered one. The mold drops them at .312 and I size them to .311 with a Lee push through. Checked and twice tumble lubed with thinned LLA they run about 190 grains. Using a file trim die I cobbled up, with the boolit crimpt just over the narrow band in front of the crimp groove I can file a flat nose just slightly larger than the 311041. Seated in the crimp groove they look like a rifle version of a WFN LBT. I prefer the first one. The first one weighs close to 180 grains the second one 170.

Both function through the action fine as dummy rounds, but I am getting about .25 inch of slight land engraving that ends about .125 above the crimped case. Perhaps this might have the potential for great accuracy, BUT might it also lead to higher pressure? Any comments before I load up a box and head to the range?

Blammer
06-20-2010, 04:03 PM
I don't think it'll increase the pressure so much you will have to worry about it.