View Full Version : Light-up My Press

Kevin Rohrer
06-20-2010, 02:25 PM
Even though my benches are lit pretty well, I need to be able to see inside cases being reloaded on my Dillon. Who makes a bright, flexible stalk light w/ a small head so I can keep it close to the press?

And if you have a picture of yours, please post it. Thanx.

Storydude
06-20-2010, 02:33 PM
Your local dollar store. Look by the register.

jcwit
06-20-2010, 02:39 PM
I use one of those small LED flashlights that Harbor Freight is giving away for free right now with a coupon. But then I reload in batches using a loading block, just the way I like to do it, I have a couple of turrent setups but reloading is something I enjoy so why hurry it.

C.F.Plinker
06-20-2010, 03:26 PM
Harbor Freight also has some LED lights with flex necks that you can tie to the press and aim the light to look down the throat of the case. This works pretty well for pistol cases and rifle cases where you are loading up to the shoulder.

One thing I'm going to try one of these days is to drill a 1/2 inch hole between stations 2 and 3 on my 550 using the ribs on the underside to position the hole. Then I can stick the light directly above the case mouth so I don't get a shadow.

GeneT
06-20-2010, 03:35 PM
Even though my benches are lit pretty well, I need to be able to see inside cases being reloaded on my Dillon. Who makes a bright, flexible stalk light w/ a small head so I can keep it close to the press?

And if you have a picture of yours, please post it. Thanx.

Not as cheap as a flashlight, but the powder checks Dillon sells are more accurate than a calibrated eyeball, and faster. If you have a lathe, or know someone who does you can make them even better by turning a custom plug to fit your caliber, rather than using the closest fit of the three plugs provided.

GsT

dudel
06-20-2010, 06:38 PM
Here's what I did.

http://picasaweb.google.com/donudel/ReloadingTricks#5471932253391732194

kbstenberg
06-20-2010, 07:05 PM
I can't visualise how you can see the powder level in the case while it is in the shell holder. Is your head a lot higher than the turrit so you can look just by the edge down into the case?
Kevin

MtGun44
06-20-2010, 10:55 PM
Yep. Loader on bench, me on chair, no problem. Easy in .45 ACP, short and fat case.

Would not be so good in a bottleneck rifle case, tho.

Kevin Rohrer
06-21-2010, 12:09 AM
Not as cheap as a flashlight, but the powder checks Dillon sells are more accurate than a calibrated eyeball, and faster. If you have a lathe, or know someone who does you can make them even better by turning a custom plug to fit your caliber, rather than using the closest fit of the three plugs provided.

GsT

I have a 550B, which doesn't have any extra stations. If I put the Powder Check die into the press, I will have to move the Bullet Seating die to where the Crimp die is, or am I missing something?

GeneT
06-21-2010, 10:54 AM
I have a 550B, which doesn't have any extra stations. If I put the Powder Check die into the press, I will have to move the Bullet Seating die to where the Crimp die is, or am I missing something?

On the 550 you have to go to a combination seat/crimp die to use the powder check. (Works fine - I use a seater/crimper on my 650 and 1050 so that I can use the powder check and a bullet feeder.)

GsT

Kevin Rohrer
06-21-2010, 03:06 PM
On the 550 you have to go to a combination seat/crimp die to use the powder check. (Works fine - I use a seater/crimper on my 650 and 1050 so that I can use the powder check and a bullet feeder.)

GsT

Does Dillon make such a die?

scrapcan
06-21-2010, 03:51 PM
You could always mount a small mirror that will aim down the case and let you see the level. Ponsness-Warren had one of these for the 800b series of shotshell loaders.

GeneT
06-21-2010, 09:46 PM
Does Dillon make such a die?

I don't know. The ones I use are RCBS (because I had them on hand). They're pretty common, so it would surprise me if they didn't.

GsT

cajun shooter
06-27-2010, 09:51 AM
If you go to Unique tech they have a very small flashlight that fits into the center hole of the 550 die plate. I have been using one for over two years and they work well.They have a piece of plastic that keeps them from going through. I bought two in case one broke. You could also rig up the small bore light with the swivel arm. I prefer to seat and crimp in two different steps.

Dale53
06-28-2010, 03:57 PM
I bought two of the Unique teks. They don't work very well (the light doesn't go down into the case.

I picked up the Harbor Freight flexible led and it works VERY well. Definitely a superior way to do it. It uses common batteries, and gets GREAT battery life, also.

Dale53

David2011
06-28-2010, 04:26 PM
The last owner of my press installed a small high intensity loght and rocker switch on the case feeder. It takes 110VAC from the casefeeder's power. Slick.

David

Doby45
08-20-2010, 11:26 AM
I know it isn't a "Dillon" but this is how I did my LoadMaster with lights over the bullet seating station. Lets me peek in prior to placing a boolit. I used 2 bright white LEDs from RadioShack and a resistor and a 9V battery and switch. I also haven't "prettied" it up yet. It will be finalized with heatshrink tubing and made to look proper. But it works awesome..

http://i22.photobucket.com/albums/b327/Doby45/Mobile/b8620037.jpg

http://i22.photobucket.com/albums/b327/Doby45/Mobile/c93a2ab5.jpg

noylj
08-20-2010, 09:39 PM
Doby45: I'm blind! Too bright, the glare, the glare!!

On the 1050, I use an RCBS Lock-Out die in station 6 and look at the powder level before I place a bullet at station 7.
It is so nice having 6 stations for various die set-ups.
For working up loads, I leave station 5 empty, where the powder measure generally goes, and pour the powder into the case at station 6 with a Lee PTE die. Again, eyeball powder at station 7.
Dillon says that station 6 is for visual powder inspection, but I can not visually check at that station so I do it at Station 7.
I remember back in 1972 wishing there was a 5 station progressive that was affordable. Finally Hornady came out with one. Others will disagree, but after using a single stage for about 10 years, I wanted at least 5 stations...

Doby45
08-20-2010, 10:35 PM
I love my cheapy Lee LoadMaster, but I am also mechanically inclined. Some folk just don't wanna diddle and piddle with stuff. I am the same way in SOME things, like lubing boolits. Went straight from pan lubing to a Star.

madsenshooter
08-20-2010, 10:45 PM
You guys got to be careful! I posted a note on the board at work, said I wanted a vacuum system with a clear plastic tube, barberpole stripped, with flashing lights and a tilt sign that came on when the bale room went down. (vacuum system takes waste from my paper cutter). Lot of people thought it was funny, but I got fired over it. So, just be careful with all this wishing for lights! I'm still fighting for unemployment!

zomby woof
08-21-2010, 09:23 AM
http://www.hunt101.com/data/500/medium/DSCN02932.JPG

jaguarxk120
08-21-2010, 10:14 AM
I was at the auto parts store, they have all kinds of 12 volt accent lights(LED). Some come with double face tape for mounting, most of the lights are very small and can be mounted any where on a press/loader for extra light

Kevin Rohrer
08-21-2010, 07:36 PM
Zomby: This appears to be what I want.

Make?
Model?
What type of batteries?
Is it LED?
Where can I buy it?

zomby woof
08-22-2010, 05:01 PM
Zomby: This appears to be what I want.

Make?
Model?
What type of batteries?
Is it LED?
Where can I buy it?

I bought it at a Harbor Freight store. I don't see it on their web site. I bought two at different stores. It is an LED and takes watch type batteries, you get two sets of batteries. I think it cost $3.99. There is no info on the light itself. It will be in the flashlight isle.

Dale53
08-22-2010, 06:47 PM
I suggest you load up on batteries (I use "Battery Bob.com"). I really like the properties of these LED lights but if you leave them on, as I am prone to do, you'll run through batteries. Buy them in bulk.

FWIW
Dale53