PDA

View Full Version : Plated Bullets?

BD
08-14-2006, 06:02 PM
The only range close by down here is an indoor place with all kinds of air filtration and AC. Unfortunately they won't let me shoot cast lead, (claim it's to keep down the lead levels, and leads to longer filter life). Anyone have any experience with the plated variety? Berrys from Grafs seems to be about as cheap as I can get them, I'm shooting .38/.357 and .45acps, maybe a few .44s.
BD

klausg
08-14-2006, 07:47 PM
BD-I've shot plated 148 gr WC through a .38. Not really impressed, it did no worse or better than commercial cast WC; just cost more, less smoke.

-Klaus

Shepherd2
08-15-2006, 12:22 AM
The Berry plated bullets are alright. I've used a bunch of them in 9mm for IDPA matches mainly to keep the smoke down. A long shot in IDPA is 25 yards and they are plenty accurate enough for that. My son uses them in .38 spl and .45 acp loads for IDPA competition.

They'll be a lot cheaper than jacket bullets and will keep the folks at the indooor range happy.

McLintock
08-15-2006, 01:48 PM
I used to get them in 45 ACP from Western Nevada Bullets, and used them in both my 1911's and a full auto 1928 Thompson. Did fine in both, still have some but don't shoot the .45's much any more.
McLintock

StarMetal
08-15-2006, 02:15 PM
McClintock,

There was post by Charger about a semi auto Thomspon carbine with the longer 16 inch barrel. He wanted to know about them. He got mostly negative posts from a few member, who I'm sure don't or never owned one. I own one and I like it. I gave him all positive comments. The naysayers said it's hard to maintain, breaks, there's problem with the firing pins. Now being yours is a full auto your firing pin system is entirely different then my semi auto, but tell us what you think and what problems you've had with the full auto. Please don't say it eats alot of ammo :drinks::Fire:

Joe

44man
08-16-2006, 10:11 AM
Sounds like tree huggers at work in those indoor ranges. There is no lead danger and the stuff that plugs the filters is smoky lubes like Alox. A lube that does not burn will cure the filter problem. The first thing blamed is lead!