PDA

View Full Version : Lube O Matic Question

Viper225
06-20-2010, 10:42 AM
Just wondering what the difference is between an RCBS Lube-O-Matic and the newer Lube-O-Matic II ? What was improved? I really thought I had the newer one till I looked closely at the picture in the midway catalog. I just bought my Lube-O-Matic a while back. UuuHaa probably 1975 or so. That was not really that long ago was it.

What is up with the Sizing Die and Top Punch coming in a bag now days. I have always stored mine in the plastic box they came in, labeled on the end 357, 45, and 44. Just started casting for a 480 Ruger and bought a new set. No Box to store them in.
I guess I could get a Lure/Fly Box at Wal-Mart and put all of them in one box.

Hardcast416taylor
06-20-2010, 01:27 PM
Got myself a Plano plastic fly/tackle box. Each size die has its own space now and the top punches stay with the die. RCBS is just cutting corners on packaging as everybody else is.Robert

Viper225
06-22-2010, 09:11 AM
I figured that was the deal on the bags.

Still wondering what the improvements were between the Lube O Matic, and Lube O Matic II.

My old Lube O Matic seems to work OK. I have never used a Star or Saeco to see how the good stuff works better. Most of the guys I know who cast are in the same boat I am, they are using the equipment they bought 30 to 40 years ago. I have a yound guy casting, and he does Tumble Lube bullets. Not sure he even has a lubricator/sizer.

cheese1566
06-22-2010, 09:41 AM
I don't have new LAM 2, but have the older LAM.

If I see the parts diagram correctly, the new ones hold the pressure screw in the base differently and no ratchet handle. If I see it right, then no holes in the bottom of the luber for potential leaks...

My older unit has has almost the same identical assembly as the Lymans. They use a pressure from up through the bottom of the casting and a hex top to place a ratchet handle. (Same construction as the Lyman, but different threads and specs.)

LAM 2:

Not sure of the overall casting is different.

Viper225
06-22-2010, 11:45 PM
The diagram does not look like an improvement to me. I like the ratchet handle just fine. The rod looks real unhandy to me.
The picture I looked at looks like the Bullet Ejection Linkage is different also.

RobS
06-23-2010, 04:50 PM
Basically the old Luba-a-Matic runs the reservoir screw up from the bottom of the press body and the Lube-a-Matic II doesn't. Instead of having a hole in the bottom of the casting for the screw the second version uses a cap that is threaded for the body of the press and the reservoir screw is mounted in it. The idea is to have a solid body cast so there is not the issue of the lube leaking out from the bottom of the press.

And another thing they did, which was already mentioned, was change from a ratchet style pressure adjustment to a T-handle design. However I simply drilled and tapped a bolt to fit the top of the reservoir screw and now use a socket and small ratchet to adjust the pressure.