PDA

View Full Version : Big Ring Mauser Stock?

Hondo Lane
06-20-2010, 09:53 AM
I would like to know what the difference is between a big ring mauser and a small ring mauser. I'm talking 98's here. I have been told it was the size of the trigger guard. Any Mauser "Experts" out there.

excess650
06-20-2010, 01:14 PM
The large ring mausers have a larger front receiver ring and usually a larger barrel barrel shank and threads. Some of the Turk 98s have the large ring with smaller barrel shank. There are numerous variations of the 98s, and the distance between the front and rear guard screws can be different depending upon which variation it is.

flounderman
06-20-2010, 02:02 PM
there were some smallring 98 mausers. the left side of the receiver is straight all the way to the barrel shoulder. these have large ring threads and most can use a large ring trigger guard. if it cocks on opening, it is probably a 98. if it cocks on closing, it is a 93, to 96.

fryboy
06-20-2010, 02:24 PM
large rings the reciever is about 1 3/8 diameter small is 1 1/8 ( perhaps a bit bigger ) a quote from midway

Action Screw Center to Center Dimensions for Mausers:
95-96: 7-5/8" small ring
98: 7-13/16" large ring

the some intermediate large rings are different

Dutchman
06-21-2010, 01:15 AM
In addition to the "ring" size, the 98 Mauser large ring has a secondary inner shoulder that the barrel torques against as opposed to the front ring face for small ring Mausers. This secondary inner shoulder is like a bulkhead in that it greatly strengthens the action.

And with 98 Mausers the bolt has a 3rd lug that is for safety only as it doesn't bear on anything. And the bolt itself has two large oval gas escape ports and the bolt sleeve is flanged to act as a deflector for high pressure gas vented back through the bolt.

The "large ring" is only one part of why the 98 Mauser action was the best ever made and is superior to every Mauser made before 1898.

Dutch

pietro
06-22-2010, 07:41 PM
[I would like to know what the difference is between a big ring mauser and a small ring mauser. I'm talking 98's here. I have been told it was the size of the trigger guard. ]

A Large Ring M98/1898 Mauser's front receiver ring measures 1.410" in diameter, and stands proud of the action's left receiver wall.

A Small Ring M98/1898 Mauser's front receiver ring measures 1.300" in diameter, and is flush with the action's left receiver wall.

Both Large & Small Ring M98 Mausers may have "normal" trigger guards, or larger diameter/circle "Winter" trigger guards.

AFAIK, only Large Ring M98 Mausers were made in at least three different action lengths, standard (8mm), short (Kurtz), and medium (Mexican) - but I haven't gotten too deeply into them.

Many folks mistakenly refer to the 1.300" diameter receiver ring Model 93/94/95/96 Mauser's as "Small Ring" Mausers, too - but those receivers do not have the Model 98's multiple additional safety features.

Hondo Lane
06-22-2010, 07:56 PM
I am planing on buying a synthetic stock for this rifle and don't want to get the wrong one. It has been rebarreled and the stock is a sporterized military but it is not the original. It was cut down by my Dad when I was a kid 40+ years ago and now is way too short for me. I restocked it with a Turkish mauser stock but is so oil impregnated that it leaves your hands feeling grubby. I pulled the action from the stock and it is indeed 1.410" in diameter. So thanks for all the help guys. Now I can make the right purchase. I hope this thread helps other mauser guys too...HL...

[I would like to know what the difference is between a big ring mauser and a small ring mauser. I'm talking 98's here. I have been told it was the size of the trigger guard. ]

A Large Ring M98/1898 Mauser's front receiver ring measures 1.410" in diameter, and stands proud of the action's left receiver wall.

A Small Ring M98/1898 Mauser's front receiver ring measures 1.300" in diameter, and is flush with the action's left receiver wall.

Both Large & Small Ring M98 Mausers may have "normal" trigger guards, or larger diameter/circle "Winter" trigger guards.

AFAIK, only Large Ring M98 Mausers were made in at least three different action lengths, standard (8mm), short (Kurtz), and medium (Mexican) - but I haven't gotten too deeply into them.

Many folks mistakenly refer to the 1.300" diameter receiver ring Model 93/94/95/96 Mauser's as "Small Ring" Mausers, too - but those receivers do not have the Model 98's multiple additional safety features.

Gee_Wizz01
06-22-2010, 10:13 PM
Remember when ordering the stock you need both the ring size AND the distance between the front and rear trigger guard screws. If there is any markings on the receiver they can help identify the action, and make getting the correct stock a little easier. Several variants also have different magazine box lengths. In general a large ring 98 has a 1.410" diameter front ring and the distance between the action screws is 7.835" and the magazine box is 3.315" in length. The FN 24's and the Yugo's are generally large ring, INTERMEDIATE length actions measuring 7.620 between the action screws. The Turks have several variations of Small Ring and Large Ring 98's plus standard and intermediate lengths. All of the Turks I have seen, both small and large ring are threaded for "small ring barrels", but I am sure there are exceptions to the rule. I have several books on the Mauser 98's if you need more info let me know

G