PDA

View Full Version : Need Help With a 9mm Luger Load

gvrj
06-19-2010, 05:18 PM
Hello all,
Been lurking for a while now. Reading and learning a lot. I really enjoy this site. I want to say hello and also dive into the water here!
Yall have convinced me to start casting and I have found that I really enjoy it. I have a question for all you guru's out there. I have cast some 9mm Luger boolits from a Lee 90402 mold. I have to seat the boolit to an over all length of 1.09" to get them to feed into my EAA Witness match. I am very cautious with this because the OAL seems to be very short. I have HS-6, Unique, Bullseye & 231 powders. My question is does anyone have a load for this boolit or a starting place to begin my endeavor? I would like to use the HS-6 as I have an 8lb jug of it. Thanks in advance for yall's help.
Here is a link to Lee's site showing the boolit if that helps.
http://www.leeprecision.com/cgi/catalog/browse.cgi?1276978869.788=/html/catalog/bullmol2.html

George

fredj338
06-19-2010, 06:23 PM
I use the Saeco #377, 9mm, 124grLTC. I seat to 1.060" for reliable feeding in any 9mm. Running 5gr of Unique in a BHP or G17 w/ LW bbl, vel runs just under 1200fps, work upto that. Using 4.7gr of W231, 1140fps. Both ara accurate, feed flawlessly.

HeavyMetal
06-19-2010, 06:28 PM
I am going to suggest light loads of Bullseye to start with.

This particular boolit design has to have a lot of the boolit "body" in the case to make it feed so pressure will go up dramatically because the space in the case has been greatly reduced.

Add to the fact it's a tumble lube design, which I detest, and I'm going to suggest you use the start loads for the 147 grain boolits shown in some manuals. Not because it weighs 147 grains but because the boolit seats into the case to about the same depth as a 147 grain boolit!

Try 3.3 grains Win 231 as a start load and increase as needed to function.

Beaware I think you'll have leading issues with this boolit.

gvrj
06-19-2010, 07:12 PM
Thanks HeavyMetal. I will try the 3.3 grains of the Win 231. Anyone with data for the HS-6?

chris in va
06-19-2010, 11:31 PM
You think that's short, try 1.01" for my CZ 75. Minimum load charge, you'll be fine.

Don't feel bad if it doesn't shoot very well though. I tried a 147gr in the CZ, stuff shot sideways. Bullet fit is king!

Doble Troble
06-20-2010, 12:14 AM
I'd tumble lube those (with LLA cut with mineral spirits), size them to 0.357 and tumble lube them again.

Then I'd load them over ~4.3 gr Unique. OAL would be where the begininng of the cone of the TC meets the case mouth.

If those didn't shoot well due to leading I'd get the conventional groove TC, lube with Lars' BAC and size to 357 load over 4.3 gr Unique and shoot bunches of them all the time...which is what I do. But I didn't start with the TL version first. They're soft shooting and just make USPSA minor out of a 5" 1911.

I bet they'll work fine for you. Sorry I can't help with HS-6 loads.

xringshutr
06-20-2010, 01:05 PM
I have had great luck with this bullet. It's very accurate in my 9MM's (and I have a bunch). Take Doble Troble's advise in regards to LLA/size to .357/re-LLA. This bullet was a extremely tight fit in my Sig P6's too. Chambering is fine, but they won't close the slide completely into battery. I seated them a little further (up to the end of the bullet bearing surface and that took care of the problem. I think I am running Power Pistol in my loads and they shoot very well with no leading whatsoever. Just take bottom end load book data and work up until it cycles the slide. I think you will like this bullet when you get it to run in your EAA.

gvrj
06-20-2010, 01:50 PM
Thanks for all yalls help!
I'll Try the unique & size them to 357.
Happy fathers Day.

George

A J
06-20-2010, 02:09 PM
I copied this load info from loaddata.com. I hope this will help you some:

9mm Luger (9x19) in a Beretta
Load Image
Warning! Notes: Federal cases and Federal 100 Small Pistol primers used for all loads. Velocities are instrumental at 10 feet from the muzzle, using Oehler Model 31 chronotach and Oehler Model 51 electronic screens with 10-foot spacing. Barrel lengths of test gun: Beretta, 5-inch barrel. (Handloader Issue 135)
Be Alert: Publisher cannot be responsible for errors in published load data.
Wt. Bullet Powder Manufacturer Powder Charge Velocity (FPS)
124 Hornady Swaged (Sized .355 inch) Hodgdon HS-6 6.0 947't
Remarks: OAL (inches): 1.13; case expansion: normal
(c) 2004 Loaddata.com

Didn't come out the way I copied it, but it says: 6 grs of hs-6 will give you 947 fps

Happy Father's Day......A J