PDA

View Full Version : Buying Saeco lubrisizer questions

rdlange
06-19-2010, 01:51 PM
A friend wants to sell two older ones, a Saeco and a Redding lubrisizers, one black and one green. How much should I pay, what should I look for when checking them out, do I REALLY need one? Have been looking at the Lee dies, which seem alot simpler.

What else do I need to know?

Thanks.

Le Loup Solitaire
06-19-2010, 02:38 PM
I've had two of them for the better part of the last 4 decades. The older one has the black crinkle finish and the newer one is the green crinkle. They have served me well altho the sizing dies are spendy and the threaded top punches are a pain. A machinist friend made me an adapter for the TP's, but the adapter is available on the net for $20 so one can use RCBS or Lyman punches. The Saeco isn't cheap, but it is solidly made and works smoothly. It uses solid sticks of lube which I believe is an advantage. I melt my lube sticks out of a bulk quantity, into a one inch mold and don't have to be bothered with having a center hole in the stick center....also can cut them to whatever length I need. The tolerances of the moving parts are tight and I keep them well oiled/greased. The Saeco also comes with a swing in-out system for seating gas checks and that is a real convenience. Moderate pressure on the lube reservoir is all that is needed to grease a lot of bullets altho that depends on the number of lube grooves involved; using too much pressure does not cause dramatic squirts and oozes like in the Lyman and RCBS machines....you just start getting a fine ribbon of lube that starts slowly coming out around the sizing die retaining nut on the bottom. The double rod system used by Saeco for alignment is a good one and it stays true. I keep both of my units-each one mounted on a short section of board which in turn is attached to wherever I want them, with a couple of small C clamps and the job gets well done. As for what they are worth, I would say about $80-$90 would be a fair price for either, and depending on whether you get any dies/punches with them. As to wear.. check for slop in the guide rods. If the unit was not abuse and maintained the rods should be tight. Also check the lube pressure gasket inside the reservoir to see if it is ok...altho a replacement can be gotten from Saeco if necessary. As for the Lee sizing system, it is a good one,...certainly affordable if you don't have a lot of bullets to do and don't mind the fun of pan lubing. LLS

HeavyMetal
06-19-2010, 02:42 PM
I believe Redding bought Saeco years ago so they are the same sizer, I hope.

I think that the Saeco is second only to the lengendary Star as far as lube sizer are concerned. I think they are much better at holding and Maintaining alignment than the RCBS or Lyman style sizers.

If I was you I would do the Black SAECO unit. Dies are a bit more pricey than the Lyman ones but you are buying accuracy plain and simple!

As to price. It depends a lot on what comes with the sizer. So I'm gonna go out on a limb and stick my foot in my mouth about price on something I haven't seen!

The Saeco sizer is worth $75.00 to $100.00 with one die in it. You have no idea the condition of the die until you actually run a boolit through it and then "mike" it.

Same with used dies. So my price on used dies is about $10.00 unless I have the opertunity to check them with boolits and a "Mike" .

The Lee set up is a great tool for the beginner, as is the Liquid Alox. However if you do a 100 or more rounds a year once you move into a real lube sizer machine you will wonder whay you waited so long and spend 20 minutes kicking your self for not making the move sooner!

rdlange
06-20-2010, 10:02 AM
Thank you. I'll be looking to see if he has any dies and punches before I do anything.

Doc Highwall
06-20-2010, 10:10 AM
I have four of the SAECO sizers two black and two green. I paid $75 for the last one with three dies and about four top punches at a gun show.

NoDakJak
06-27-2010, 10:40 PM
Snap up both of them if you can afford the price because you sure aren't going to find better equipment. Neil

Crash_Corrigan
06-28-2010, 04:35 PM
Yes, by all means possible buy both of them. I have had one for over 10 years and it has yet to give me problem one. The ability to have one sizer loaded with BP lube and the other with a harder lube is really nice.

They are easy to use, built like a tank and should last longer than me. Yes the dies are a mite pricy compared to the competition. But they are so easy to use and accurate!

If you do pass on the 2nd luber. Let me have first dibs on it. I can use another one.

mikenbarb
06-29-2010, 12:41 PM
If you dont want them both I will take one off your hands for the right price.

walltube
06-29-2010, 01:06 PM
Buy them!

I have had two for 25+ years. I cannot add to the all positive comments in the previous posts. However, if you are a Southpaw you may not agree with its right hand only operating lever. The SAECO operating linkage is dang near indestructable (within design limits, of course) compared to Lyman or RCBS offerings.

My 2 sou,
Wt.

FAsmus
06-29-2010, 06:05 PM
Gentelmen;

I too have been using a SAECO sizer successfully for many years.

One note here that you may take to the bank and never worry about buying the "Correct Nose Punch" for every bullet design you may consider ~

Simply make a blank punch (or have a machinist friend make one - it takes only a few minutes) of the correct caliber .. say 30 caliber. Then, instead of making the punch contour to match the bullet nose you're going to use just run a combination counter-sink & center drill into it. This will provide perfect centering for all nose designs of all bullets of that diameter.

I use one nose punch for all my 30 calibers and another for 44/45 caliber. ~ The 50 caliber was a special tool but still retains the center-drilled form for the bullet nose.

In my view these three punches are much better/simpler than any number of specialized items.

Good afternoon,
Forrest