PDA

View Full Version : Remington 700....advise needed

dk17hmr
08-13-2006, 10:10 PM
My girlfriends uncle brought his 7mm Mag Remington 700 over tonight because it wasnt going bang every time, he asked if I would look at it. The problem was obvious the bolt isnt locking into place. He said it would fire ever other round or so, my thinkin is because the bolt wont close all the way the firing pin isnt going far enough to sent a bullet down the barrel. When you do get the bolt down to where it is suppose to be its a bear to get back open.

I had this problem with my 25-06 Remington 700 before I had it rebarreled. The problem there was the action screws. They were to tight causing to much pressure making it almost impossible to open. The solution was to not tighten the screw as much.

I tried that with Bills rifle, no dice. Aparently he never cleaned the factory greasy oil junk off it, so I did that for him cleaned up the action. Tried the bolt again no dice.

I gave him the number for my Smith, he is going to take it to him tomorrow to see what he can do.

My only thoughts were the lugs need to be lapped to get that sucker to close all the way.

Any thoughts?

StarMetal
08-13-2006, 10:12 PM
From reading this it's darn good advice to bring it to a good gunsmith.

[smilie=1:

Joe

waksupi
08-13-2006, 11:50 PM
Yep, something wrong, that can't be diagnosed long distance. I would ask him if he has disassembled the bolt lately. May not have gotten put back together properly. As for me, after working with a lot of Remington actions, I don't know if you could run fast enough, to give me one. If they would redesign thier extractor/ejector mess, they may have something usable. Putting in the Sako ejector, just means it is easier to change parts when they screw up. And, they will screw up.

dk17hmr
08-14-2006, 12:41 AM
I seriously doubt he has ever even had the bolt out of it. When he handed it to me today I popped the bolt out and there was still factory oil/grease in there, you know what I am talkin about right?

I cant figure out why Remington would let this thing get out of the Factory like this. He said he has shot 7 round through it and then the other half didnt go.

O well see what the Smith says tomorrow.

fourarmed
08-15-2006, 11:22 AM
If the front action screw is too long, it will interfere with the right locking lug.

26Charlie
08-18-2006, 11:07 PM
That is an occasional problem with rem bolt rifles - I took my .270 M721 (predecessor of the M700, and darn close in design) action out of the stock, and when I put it back had the bolt - front action screw interference problem. Didn't notice it until I was at the range, so didn't figure it out for a couple of weeks. Thought it was a cast bullet problem, because I didn't have the problem before.
Ground a sixteenth off the end of the screw - problem solved.