PDA

View Full Version : Ladder sight question - Win Model 94

jason
06-18-2010, 10:40 PM
Hey all,

I have a model 94 carbine 38-55 carbine built around 1920 with the flip up ladder sights. I want to play around with the ladder sights a bit to see what the gun is capable of at longer ranges for target shooting.

The problem is that the sight slides up and down a little too easy and won't stay put.

Any ideas on how to fix this problem and make it a little tighter without doing anything drastic?

Le Loup Solitaire
06-19-2010, 01:12 AM
I have the same gun that had the same prob with the ladder sight. It wasn't too bsd/loose. I tightened it up a bit by peening it slightly with a punch, but go easy. Its a great handling brush gun and will stop deer, bear or elk, but the long range settings on the sights are an exercise in optimism....especially for target. I like mine very much, but beyond 100 yards I get better groups with my Winchester Hi-Wall...probably because of the longer barrel. Also the carbine has no provision for windage and if the wind is up, you are facing a real challenge. But go for it, as you never know until you try. Life is sometimes full of surprises. I use the 255 grain bullet from an old WRA mold and the Lyman #375248 shot unsized/as cast. LLS

jason
06-20-2010, 11:03 AM
Thanks for the advice - I think I will try that. I have a Lyman #375296 mold that throws a .382 boolit that weighs about 272 grains. I am going to start loading for it this week. I want to use the ladder sights more out of curiosity than anything to see how far I can hit a target with it.