PDA

View Full Version : Lyman Truline Jr.

johnlaw484
06-18-2010, 07:48 PM
Yeah, go ahead and laugh but I happen to like the little jewel.

I brought a Lyman Truline Jr from BCall this week, drilled and tapped the top plate for 7/8 by 14 thread dies, redrilled the set screw to hold the X shell holder and just loading away with my .38 spl/.357 cast boolits.

I was gonna buy one of those aftermarket top plates for $50+ from that ebay guy but decieded to drill and tap the one I had, saving $50 to buy lead.

It works great for a three die pistol set.

Before ya'll get your panties in a wad, I know it's too small for rifle that's the reason I still have my old Lyman Spartan for the rifle stuff.

My Lee LoadMaster is set up for .45acp which is what I mostly shoot. The Truline will stay setup with the .38 dies so if I need to run a couple hundred rounds, I don't have to set up the Lee.

In case you were wondering.

HeavyMetal
06-18-2010, 09:02 PM
Plan to re thread a few original turrets myself as soon as I get my mill square.

I bought the 6 hole version of the tru line plate from the gun broker guy ( same guy as e bay I think) and think it is awsome!

It allows me to really "tune" the die set for either a custom load or a special bullet. I have also used it to load 30-30 with ease so never say never for rifle stuff

06-18-2010, 09:15 PM
I want one of those, I think they are cute! If i'd had the money i would have been all over Bcall's press. Also post pictures of your process if you drill out another turret I"m sure i'm not the only one who would be interested in it.

johnlaw484
06-19-2010, 02:29 AM
I want one of those, I think they are cute! If i'd had the money i would have been all over Bcall's press. Also post pictures of your process if you drill out another turret I"m sure i'm not the only one who would be interested in it.

Really nothing to it. The cast is soft enough it drills (3/4 bit) with ease in a drill press and a 3/4 X 14 pipe tap. You have to play with the tap to get the size right for the die to fit but because I had nothing more than a drill press, I made do with what I had.

I am sure a lathe or mill would do a neater job but this worked for me. And didn't cost me anything (I borrowed the drill bit and tap).

I thought about pictures while I was doing it but I didn't want anyone to see if I screwed it up.:mrgreen:

Green Frog
06-19-2010, 07:56 AM
Really nothing to it. The cast is soft enough it drills (3/4 bit) with ease in a drill press and a 3/4 X 14 pipe tap. You have to play with the tap to get the size right for the die to fit but because I had nothing more than a drill press, I made do with what I had.

I am sure a lathe or mill would do a neater job but this worked for me. And didn't cost me anything (I borrowed the drill bit and tap).

I thought about pictures while I was doing it but I didn't want anyone to see if I screwed it up.:mrgreen:

I would use a 7/8" X 14 tap to do this... so I could use standard, modern dies. :holysheep

That said, the "beauty" of the little bitty TruLine Jr (of which I have several) is that it is compact and can handle appropriate, light work quite well. I'm not completely sure I would even want my top plate to hold larger dies and tempt me to take on more than the press is meant for. My basic rule is that if I could do it with some effort on a pair of 310 handles, it is still appropriate for the TL Jr; more than that gets a full sized press with more rigidity and brute strength. :rolleyes:

BTW, I missed the press sale mentioned in this thread... what is the price range for this press on the "mass market?" The most I have ever paid for one was about $25 with a set of dies and shell holder, and have seen quite a few for much less. I haven't bought one lately, however... so YMMV. :coffeecom

Froggie

Pressman
06-19-2010, 08:24 AM
Froggie, using ebay as teh blue book of press value, there are two or three listed every week, they are running andound $45.00 depending if there are any dies included and ifthere is a box.
Ken

Ozark Howler
06-19-2010, 10:13 AM
Great piece of reloading history......every reloader should own at least one

HeavyMetal
06-19-2010, 11:51 AM
$45 to $50 seems to be the current going rate on the auction sites. Depending, of course, what else is offered with the press.

With plain steel dies the Tru Line has a lot of limitations. Move up to a 7/8x14 carbide die and things get a whole lot smoother, at least with the compound linkage version.

60 years ago I could see dealing with the 310 type dies. today converting one to 7/8x14 and adapting it to take the "standard" shell holders opens a whole new world for these little press's!

Still I would not try to full length size anything bigger than a 44 mag case and that I touch with a little Imperial sizing die wax. I have done 30-30 cases this way and have been comfortable with the fact that I am not straining the little press.

However I break my 30-30 sizeing into two steps, at least for range found or used purchased 30-30 case's. First I run them through a base sizing die ( a full length sizer die with the top cut off) this size's the case from the base of the neck to the rim. Most sizing here is done about a 1/4 inch above the rim so this step is also not hard on the press and a little Imperial sizing die wax holds down the strain here as well.

Then they get run through a Lee neck sizing die to bring the case neck's into speck for reloading. If I shoot cast they are the run through a Lee universal expanding die if not they are just inside neck chamfered and loaded.

In all honesty the Tru Lines I have are not used for "production" ammo but for load development. The size makes it easy to transport and set up and with a turret head I am not driving my elbow nuts screwing dies in and out all day!

Set up in this manner I can experiment with both seating lengths, boolit type, crimp you name it with a twist of the turret and an adjustment of the particular die that needs adjusting.

For someone looking for a "range" press the Tru Line can be made into one handy little press!

johnlaw484
06-19-2010, 02:41 PM
I would use a 7/8" X 14 tap to do this... so I could use standard, modern dies. :holysheep

That said, the "beauty" of the little bitty TruLine Jr (of which I have several) is that it is compact and can handle appropriate, light work quite well. I'm not completely sure I would even want my top plate to hold larger dies and tempt me to take on more than the press is meant for. My basic rule is that if I could do it with some effort on a pair of 310 handles, it is still appropriate for the TL Jr; more than that gets a full sized press with more rigidity and brute strength. :rolleyes:

BTW, I missed the press sale mentioned in this thread... what is the price range for this press on the "mass market?" The most I have ever paid for one was about $25 with a set of dies and shell holder, and have seen quite a few for much less. I haven't bought one lately, however... so YMMV. :coffeecom

Froggie
I didn't have a 7/8 X 14 tap, but I did have a 3/4 X 14 NPT . If you work with the 3/4 NPT tap it will work. My top plates will take standard dies. It's like .30 difference.