PDA

View Full Version : Lyman or RCBS ....

riverwalker76
06-18-2010, 04:39 PM
I'm now looking at Lube and Sizing machines, and didn't know which one is the better of the two.

Lyman 4500 w/ heater or RCBS Lubematic outfit.

Also ... what will I need with the lubesizer itself? I will be casting 9mm initially until I get the hang of it. The diameter will be .357"

Thanks

cheese1566
06-18-2010, 06:29 PM
Both are almost the same. I like the construction of my older RCBS compared to the older Lymans that I had. Both have almost the same cast construction, but the RCBS have a little more robust handles and linkages and lifetime warranty.

But the RCBS does not have a heater or place to put one like the Lyman 4500.

mooman76
06-18-2010, 07:43 PM
They are pretty close to the same but I would get the RCBS if I did it over. I have a 450 and have no complaints really. The linkage could be a little stronger and I here RCBS is.

fryboy
06-18-2010, 07:48 PM
he's right !!!
some think me strange but i actually like ye old 45 ( cheese did a great write up complete with foto's on his !!! ummm that's not an adequate attaboy but it is earned !!! ) with the ease of heating the newer lyman gets my nod as well ,for a used one i'd go for a 45 or a LAM I
u'll need the .357 die, the correct top punch for ur boolit design and at least 2 tubes of lube (one sorta primes it ) plus 2 mounting bolts

Casting Timmy
06-18-2010, 07:50 PM
I bought the Lyman because of the cost difference, actually I bought the master casting kit for a few more dollars. Then sell off the casting pot and a couple of the other things to have a new sizer cheaper than buying it alone.

06-18-2010, 09:08 PM
Riverwalker76,
Can't compare the two, but am very satisified with my Lyman 4500. I have a clamp-on, goose-neck lamp positioned next to it, and it is a more than sufficient heater.

Fryboy nailed the accessories.

For lube: http://www.jakesproducts.com/index.html

bigboredad
06-19-2010, 12:02 AM
I picked the 4500 because it was available locally and it has a heater. I really don't think you could go wrong with either. All I can say is why did I wait to get one I love having one and it is a lot less messy than pan lubing and I can cast a boolit turn around and lube it and go shoot it no waiting for lube to heat up no mess

Bradley
06-22-2010, 01:08 AM
The RCBS unit will use all Lyman and RCBS sizing dies. The Lyman 4500 will not. It will only take those made in the last decade or so.

The pressure screw in the RCBS will wear out eventually. The O-rings just will not grip the walls anymore. Changing out the o-rings does not solve the problem. Nothing that I know of will fix this if your unit develops the problem.

The RCBS has an excellent warrenty. The Lyman does not.

Because of the O-ring problem on the RCBS unit, I would recommend the Lyman as the better of the two.

BSkerj
06-22-2010, 01:13 AM
I just ordered a RCBS. Midway has them on sale until the end of the month. My Lyman 45 gave up the ghost. I will probably rebuild it but I bought it used just to see if I liked the idea of lubrisizing. Fraternally

9.3X62AL
06-22-2010, 01:33 AM
The RCBS unit will use all Lyman and RCBS sizing dies. The Lyman 4500 will not. It will only take those made in the last decade or so.

The pressure screw in the RCBS will wear out eventually. The O-rings just will not grip the walls anymore. Changing out the o-rings does not solve the problem. Nothing that I know of will fix this if your unit develops the problem.

The RCBS has an excellent warrenty. The Lyman does not.

Because of the O-ring problem on the RCBS unit, I would recommend the Lyman as the better of the two.

The sizing die issue with the Lyman 4500--and the O-ring issue with the RCBS LAM II--are issues I hadn't heard before. Most of my sizer dies are Lyman, and a majority are 20+ years old. It sounds like the RCBS LAM II would be a better choice for me, once the present Lyman 450 gives out. I would prefer to NOT have to re-tool sizer dies for either a Lyman or Star system.

PacMan
06-27-2010, 07:22 PM
None of the above problems with a Saeco.

HeavyMetal
06-27-2010, 07:35 PM
+1 on the Saeco.

If your gonna buy new and your not gonna buy a Star buy the Saeco!

Lloyd Smale
06-29-2010, 06:21 AM
Id take the seaco or rcbs hands down over the lyman. Both are a bit better press and good luck when the lyman breaks with warantee work. Rcbs will fix it for free for life and id probably take the rcbs over the seaco because dies are more readily available.

stephen perry
07-05-2010, 06:41 AM
I have a Ohaus 45 and a Lyman 450. Of coarse use same dies and tp's in both. I have relegated the 45 for small rfle stuff up to .25 cal and the 450 for large rifle and pistol. All you guy's problems don't exist in my reloading room, just well sized and lubricated bullets.

Stephen Perry
Angeles BR

Bret4207
07-05-2010, 08:21 AM
I have a LAM, a 450 and 45. I prefer the 45 to the 450 and the old LAM to either. My LAM has the ratchet handle, not the chintzy toggle set up.

primersp
07-05-2010, 09:06 AM
since 30y i have a saeco no problem with it ,buy a lyman 4500 2 years ago but i prefer the saeco ,old black model made in california