PDA

View Full Version : Range scrap!

Freightman
06-18-2010, 04:32 PM
I picked up about 2000# of indoor range scrap (cast only) at the range covered the trash cans with lids and was going to sift it later, well the night we got 5" + rain the lid blew off one can. The result was a solid mess in the bottom of the can dirt hardened and I thought it is a loss. well with much groaning and sweating I got it to the alley finally and got it dumped on a slab I have back there. Turned the hose up with a high pressure nozzle and got it washed out. and came up with 300# of clean scrap. When it cools off a little from 100 I will smelt it, the other barrel has four times that in it but didn't get wet.
I am going to have to set me up a natural gas smelter as propane is just to high, a friend gave me a burner from a 40gal. water tank so I need to get busy. :redneck:

lwknight
06-18-2010, 05:05 PM
How can propane be too high. It took me almost $5.00 worth to smelt 680 pounds of WWs and 480 pounds of linotype.
Thats less than one half cent per pound.
How can anyone be that chinchy.

Freightman
06-18-2010, 06:10 PM
Easy I am. I am lazy I have to go get the Propane the NG is right there with an outlet on the Patio.

jaguarxk120
06-18-2010, 06:33 PM
Hey It's not range scrap, your recycling a metal in a western state known to be toxic. They won't let you hunt with anything that has leadin it!

ph4570
06-18-2010, 07:11 PM
Hey It's not range scrap, your recycling a metal in a western state known to be toxic. They won't let you hunt with anything that has leadin it!

A bit off topic, but....

Around 1964 my brother bought a 1951 (as I recall) Jag XK120 fixed head coupe. That sucker was in great shape and a sweet ride. It cost $550. A bit later my other brother bought a 1952 MG TD roadster. That cost $450. A bit later still I bought a 1961 Austin Healy bugeye Sprite. I traded a go cart and $200 for it.

They were all sold or traded off long ago when those cars were of little interest. If I had that Jag today I could retire on its sales value -- if one only knew!!!!!![smilie=b:

Freightman
06-19-2010, 11:31 AM
A bit off topic, but....

Around 1964 my brother bought a 1951 (as I recall) Jag XK120 fixed head coupe. That sucker was in great shape and a sweet ride. It cost $550. A bit later my other brother bought a 1952 MG TD roadster. That cost $450. A bit later still I bought a 1961 Austin Healy bugeye Sprite. I traded a go cart and $200 for it.

They were all sold or traded off long ago when those cars were of little interest. If I had that Jag today I could retire on its sales value -- if one only knew!!!!!![smilie=b:
It is strange I was offered a 1939 Cord in 61 for $200 OF course I didn't have $200 and thought that is the ugglist thing I have ever seen, well in 09 I saw one almost like the one I was offered just slicked up go for $100,000 makes me want to cry.

Echo
06-19-2010, 11:33 PM
A bit off topic, but....

I bought a 1958 XK-150 for $435 (story there...), and wish I had it now. Getting up on I-20 @ Shreveport, climb the ramp in 1st, hit second, come out of second @ 80, hit third, come out of third @ 110, and pull in 4th like a champ. SWMBO sold it (w/my blessing) when I was in SEA. Wonder what it would bring these days...

Nose Dive
06-23-2010, 08:18 PM
jaquarxk120....oh man...say it ain't so...no huntin in the west with lead boolits...??? What has ARNOLD become? No can use range scrap? bummer...

Springfield
06-23-2010, 08:30 PM
So far it is no hunting in certain areas where the California Vulture.. I mean Condor is known to range. Not the whole state, yet, but right now they are trying to pass a bill for no lead projectiles in certain government owned wilderness areas.

Crash_Corrigan
06-23-2010, 10:36 PM
My Grandpa, Uncle Joe, was a charachter to say the least. During the 20's he took up an interesting business. BOOTLEGGING BOOZE.

He did it until that prohibition law was repealed in the 30's. He made so much money that he always drove the biggest and nicest cars for that period.

However, he became attached to his cars and could not bear to let them go. After a year or so he would buy another one and put the old one in a barn up on blocks after he drained all the gas out and such. He had over 20 barns on the property and other buildings totalled 38 buildings in 1950.

He had over 30 old cars of various vintages stashed away all over the place. I remember as a kid clambering all over and inside these classics. He had Cords, Duesenbergs, LaSalles, Cadillacs and all of the other major fancy cars of those years.

In the 50's he fancied his yellow bird. A 1950 Oldsmobile coupe with a big motor. It was his trademark and everybody in the county knew his car. After the bootlegging was done he went into bookmaking. He still serviced the same locations all over the country and he was known as Uncle Joe until his demise in the 70's.

Sadly over the years all of the cars are gone. In some cases the barns collapsed from old age and neglect and in others various forms of fires took down the barns and their contents.

I wonder if a local car thief removed the cars and then burned down the barns?

Anyhow if those cars had not been stolen, burned or destroyed they would have some severe residual value in today's inflated old car market.

Some of the old LaSalles and Cadilliacs were enormous and made like tanks. Quite a few of the sedans had fabric covered roofs, rumble seats and big wells in the fenders for spare tires. He had one Duesenberg that would carry 6 spare tires strapped into the fender wells at one one time.

If I only would have known what they would be worth I could have preserved a few of them!