PDA

View Full Version : Boolit casting and shooting 1964 and now

Linstrum
06-18-2010, 11:21 AM
To coin a phrase: My, how things have changed!
About 13 years ago when I started participating on Internet shooting forums, things were a lot different than they are at this site. Until this site was formed I hung out at alloutdoors.com, and a few others I don't remember because they aren't worth remembering. Flaming was pretty common and what could best be described as gangs formed and if you weren't a member of a gang you were fair game for flaming regardless if what you said was the best thing since rifling was invented and the gangs flamed each other. Nobody can learn anything where turf wars are the norm, and learning, passing on new information and ideas, and getting rid of myths/wrong information was why I participated. The core group who started this site knew exactly what was wrong and from shear frustration of not being able to just talk about new ideas and pass on new information in a normal friendly manner, they took control of what has turned out to be the future of bullet casting and shooting. As the result of a simple concept but a lot of hard work and effort, boolit casters/shooters have a decent forum where participants don't have to be afraid to say something that is different from the old accepted - but often wrong – cast bullet reloading practices. Because of that, the old wrong information about bullet casting and cast bullet performance is FINALLY getting dumped and replaced with some pretty good new, interesting, and CORRECT information.

When I started casting in 1964, most bullet casters used pure lead, Lyman #2 alloy, and linotype, and all the reloading data and practices were developed for these materials as the norm.

This was the norm with the casters and reloaders I hung out with back in 1964:

Used wheel weights were trash.

Lubes were limited to beeswax and a few commercial types.

Pistol loads had to be below 1600 feet per second.

Rifle loads had to be below 2000 feet per second, preferably below 1600 feet per second.

Slow powders could not work because of severe leading problems, so only small amounts of fast pistol and shot shell powders were used. IMR 4895 with a cast wheel weight bullet in the .30-06 was unthinkable and a full case of smokeless rifle powder with a cast bullet in a high power rifle load was insanity (my best accuracy in my Mosin-Nagants is with a 180-grain wheel weight boolit and a compressed load of 4-grains IMR 4895 over the flash hole and topped off with WC860 or WC872 up to the mouth).

Inexpensive military surplus canon powders were useless in hand-held arms (see above - - - with cast boolits my little Swede Mausers are at their best with IMR 5010 that is used in the .50 BMG, I use the Saeco 140 grain with no more than 46 grains IMR 5010).

Pistol bullets could only be cast with Lyman #2 alloy, high power rifle bullets were only linotype, and black powder had to use pure lead bullets (I have pretty good luck with wheel weights in most everything except cap and ball revolvers that need soft balls to press in the cylinder and the 6.5 Swede Mauser that need hard phos-copper doped wheel weight boolits to take the fast rifling twist).

Black powder was only for replica muzzle loading rifles and cap and ball pistols. Even though the first cartridge guns used black powder it was better to use miniscule loads of smokeless powder in old black powder cartridge guns and if an old cartridge gun couldn't handle small smokeless loads it should not be fired, period (I saw a few Damascus barrel shotguns welded shut and hung over the fireplace or donated to museums. Not all old black powder guns are safe to shoot even with black powder - especially Damascus, but just because a gun from the black powder era cannot withstand very small smokeless loads is no reason to never shoot it again with black powder – just make sure it is safe).

Auto loader rifles can't shoot cast, especially the Garand and M1 Carbine (I shoot cast in auto loader rifles, especially the Garand and M1 Carbine).

What myths, wrong, bad, or out of date information did you used to have? I had a lot, and probably still have a few, but not like I did 46 years ago. :bigsmyl2:

rl809

Bass Ackward
06-18-2010, 12:31 PM
Wow. I can't remember too much conversation. Wasn't many of us back then. Most everything was from a Lyman manual. Jacketed bullets were cheap and this killed us. Those that did weren't communicators. They .... kinda .... felt that cast was knowledge that should best be kept close to the vest.

One big difference was we shot the heck out of WW. Back in the 60s, it was 9% antimony then and we threw in the "correct" amount of solder to make lino.

Now I know what you are thinking. It wasn't lino. That's true. But the used up metal that guys around here got there hands on that they THOUGHT was lino, really wasn't either. So we were shooting the same thing just didn't have to pay for it. :grin:

Hardness was done with mics. You measured and knew if you were smaller or larger where you were. Testing was done by comparisons with a hammer and nail for the hard stuff where you gauged depth, finger nail for the softer stuff. BHN didn't matter only that you were harder / softer than the last batch.

Better and more lube choices today. Then was water pump grease or banana lube.

Custom molds with diameter options now are the real difference. Didn't call it beagling back then. we just drilled and tapped one mold face and used an allen screw low on the blocks between the cavities to set the diameter no matter what the mix.

Nope, not a lot of people with this interest (long term) until I found this board.

giz189
06-18-2010, 12:37 PM
The guys I knew in the 70's that cast said 'no boolits past 1000 fps or you'll lead the barrel'. Therefore, very few around here used cast boolits.

qajaq59
06-18-2010, 12:37 PM
In 64 was I shooting wheel weights in my 30-06, because it was all I had then. The lube was Lyman Alox because it fit in my Lyman 450 and I didn't shoot them nearly as good as I do now with the 30-30. I remember hitting a crow with one once though. That was the biggest puff of feathers I'd ever seen. LOL

45nut
06-18-2010, 01:55 PM
Back when I started the site I did realize that fighting between members seemed like sport to some and it did turn me off of many boards, many I still have zero interest in because that is an accepted practice and not just tolerated but the staff on those boards not only participate in the "games" but start the chewing of new flesh themselves.

It seemed then,and still does today that is exactly the opposite of how the shooting "gun culture" should be seen and is opposite of the experience and helpful mindset of the individuals that gave me my start in reloading and handloading for non-typical guns that I acquired over time.

The fellow that sold me my primers, powder and bullets knew starting safely was a far superior path than taking things to the limit and in that spirit sold me blue dot for my pistol loads over bullseye because a double charge of BD was more likely to spill over the case vs a dc of BE likely to blow up my guns.
Expecting instant expertise in any field is wrought with likely failure and distress, heck even doctors with decades of experience still refer to their field as "in practice" rather than "expert know it all".
The running of a forum is no different, I took no classes in the field of psychology or administration of a vast number of individuals that take part in this forum now and although I have much more experience now, I still realize I am no expert, just a fellow that wants a place that welcomes discussion in a field that I have interest and seek skills in.

Understanding that each member handle is backed by a human now is far easier and helps me realize that nobody should be expected to be perfect, mistakes and foibles are to be expected and soon forgotten, hopefully my own missteps can be forgiven as well.

It gives me great pleasure to see positives daily here, sharing knowledge and giving encouragement is a reward that cannot be overlooked and my hope is for this silver stream of education and brotherhood to be seen for the positive it can be for as long as we can sustain it.

I thank you for starting this thread!

qajaq59
06-18-2010, 02:17 PM
There's a lot of knowledge and it helps a lot of people. What more could anyone ask?

Guesser
06-18-2010, 03:09 PM
I was introduced to casting in 1956, for a Colt Bisley in 32-20. Any lead worked and we lubed with lard, beef tallow, bees wax and never sized, didn't even measure. It was a Winchester mold that looked like a 3118. 5.0 gr. of Unique and out they went. I was warned to not put too much lube as it would "kill" the powder and don't leave them sitting around for more than a few days or they wouldn't fire. We kept a box of factory loads for long term storage. 100 GR. JSP from Winchester or Remington was $5.30 at Ralph's Outfitters in Stevensville. Good ol' days?????

qajaq59
06-18-2010, 03:39 PM
Good ol' days????? ???? is right.

HangFireW8
06-18-2010, 11:40 PM
Auto loader rifles can't shoot cast, especially the Garand and M1 Carbine (I shoot cast in auto loader rifles, especially the Garand and M1 Carbine).

I have the old (good) 1960's vintage NRA reloading manual, I just read it through, it mentions several times that the M1 Carbine is the easiest auto-loader to load for by far.

-HF