PDA

View Full Version : BP load for .32 S&W?

Buck
08-13-2006, 12:15 PM
Anyone got data for the BP .32 S&W (called the "short" now)? I'd be interested as I'm picking up a VG Model 1880, top break, Monday PM. Would like to shoot it BP.

floodgate
08-13-2006, 03:27 PM
Buck:

Chuck Suydam's "U. S. Cartridges and their Handguns" lists 9 grs. BP with the 85-gr. RN bullet for the .32 S&W (I've never seen it called the "short"); Frank Barnes' "Cartridges of the World" (10th Edition) says the same, and specifies Fg - but FFg or FFFg would make more sense in that small case.

floodgate

Buck
08-13-2006, 05:37 PM
Floodgate - Thanks for the info! I ran aross the "short" title when hunting for smokeless cartridges. One of the locals said " if there is a "long" there must be a "short", makes it even worse with the Magnum tossed in. Hopefully, this will be as much fun to shoot as I remember.

NickSS
08-13-2006, 07:21 PM
It really does not matter how much black powder you put in as long as the bullet seats on the powder. Also varing amounts of powder compression affects accuracy and every gun is different as to what it likes as well as every powder/primer combination. Start with just enough powder so that your bullet leaves no air space when loaded. Increase the amount of powder .1 gr in such a small cartridge at a time until you get optimum accuracy. Then you have the right load for your gun/powder/bullet combo. I have loaded black powder loads for the 38 S&W cartridge for my Iver Johnson top break revolver and they work well assuming black powder lube and a little experimenting. Mine likes 13.5 gr with a 150 gr LSWC bullet.

Four Fingers of Death
08-14-2006, 10:38 AM
Check this out:

http://www.leverguns.com/articles/paco/black_powder.htm

Interesting reading as always, Mick.

KCSO
08-18-2006, 02:09 PM
My 32 Sand W loading tool has a dipper that drops 6 grains of FFg Elephant. This makes a nice load for the old guns, but somewhat anemic. I wouldn't hot rod a top break as they will loosen up quick, but FFFG from 6 to 9 grains should be OK.

confederatemule
04-21-2011, 10:49 AM
My 32 Sand W loading tool has a dipper that drops 6 grains of FFg Elephant. This makes a nice load for the old guns, but somewhat anemic. I wouldn't hot rod a top break as they will loosen up quick, but FFFG from 6 to 9 grains should be OK.

Where can a, .32 S&W loading tool, be bought?

Springfield
04-21-2011, 11:56 AM
Just get a set of 32 S&W dies from LEE and load like anything else. Use a bullet with BP lube or you might have difficulty cleaning it later. These bullets work well in my little S&W breaktop.

lebrew
06-25-2017, 05:36 PM
I load 1.4 grains of Unique under a 90 Grain Pure lead SWC Lee for a pipsqueek load . I shoot a 1898 topbreak H&R no ill effects at all , less recoil and not as loud as a .22 LR and still accurate to 15 yards
Lebrew

james6600
06-27-2017, 08:03 PM
My H&R top break shoots round balls real good. I tried some 71gr round nose that I believe were swedged and dry lubed, accuracy died before the 5rd cylinder was empty. With black powder I load till i have some compression. Trail Boss works ok but dont compress it. Seems like I loaded HP38 to 1-1.5gr but don't quote me on that. I like these little things loaded real light it makes them fun just don't let the bullet bounce back and hit you.

curator
06-27-2017, 09:47 PM
I can get about 6 grains of Goex FFFFg black powder in the .32 S&W Starline brass then seat the Lyman 70 grain boolit with slight compression of the powder. These shoot fine in my S&W and F&W top break revolvers. Actually the black powder loads SOUND really bad compared to the smokeless equivalent even if they barely break 700fps.