PDA

View Full Version : Optimal material and thickness.

highscore
06-18-2010, 10:22 AM
Very new to cast boolits, I will probably make my own gas check maker. I've read a lot of the threads on gas checks and in my mind, the jury is still out as to the best material and to a lesser extent, thickness. Starting out, I will be casting for my Springfield XD9 which so far, does not like lead boolits. Other pistol calibers and then rifle is planned.

Is one material for producing gas checks better than others? Aluminum seems to be the favorite, copper next. Thickness seems directly related on what one has on hand. I'm wondering if brass is a viable option that would produce results the same as aluminum and copper? Thickness would most likely be just about .010 and possibly up to .012. One needs to know what to stock up on! Thanks.

RU shooter
06-18-2010, 04:07 PM
Yep Brass works too. I've been using up some .008 brass stencils I had and laminating them with alum. can material which is .004-.005 I'm shooting 30 cal. boolits. I've also used copper and alum. all with very good success. Use what you can easily find and match the thickness to suit your needs.

Tim