PDA

View Full Version : question regarding Ideal 358-439 HP

redgum
06-18-2010, 01:10 AM
I have recently acquired an IDEAL 358 439 HP mold.
I have read that the nose can be too long for some of the older S&W m28 cylinders unless crimped on the forward edge of the front driving band, but Im wondering if anyone has had issues using them in a Rossi levergun when using the original crimp groove?

The reason I ask is I loaded some (unknown make) 'Cowboy Style' RNFP's and when using 357 magnum brass, crimped in the groove they are too long for the Marlin & Rossi leverguns. They are slightly too long & hang up in the mag, unable to 'lift' into the feed position. I had to disassemble the mag to get them out.

I'm suspecting the same problem might arise with the 358-439 and was hoping to hear from others who use them to see what their experience is.

http://i141.photobucket.com/albums/r49/redgum94/382.jpg

http://i141.photobucket.com/albums/r49/redgum94/381.jpg

http://i141.photobucket.com/albums/r49/redgum94/383.jpg

MtGun44
06-18-2010, 01:50 AM
My guess is that the wide square nose will be a killer. I can't get a Browning 92
in .44 mag to feed Keith 429421s, similar nose shape.

Good luck, hope it works for you. And as to the .357 N frame - not "some", all will not
take a normal 358429/439. The cylinders are very short. Kframe and L frame guns (smaller
frames with longer cylinders ??????) take them just fine. A few Lyman molds that are marked
358429 are far enough off of the original design that the nose is short enough to fit, but this
is design drift, not something to count on.

Bret4207
06-18-2010, 07:21 AM
Just seat them deeper and cut your charge. I try not to "squish" the boolit when doing that because doing so will reduce the diameter we need for good shooting. So no heavy crimps or Lee FCD are used when doing that.

As for feeding itself in a lever gun sometimes, as Bill noted, the design of the action just requires a certain shape to feed well. Try it and see is about all I can offer.

redgum
06-18-2010, 04:01 PM
Thanks for the replies fellers.
This particular Rossi will feed every style of bullet I've tried except for full wadcutters. It also makes no difference wether they're loaded in a 38 spl or 357 mag case. It's not the bullet shape that I'm talking about, as I have not a shadow of a doubt the rifle will feed it into the chamber. The overall length of the 357 cartridge (when crimped in the crimp groove) is the issue.
The nose of the boolit doesn't clear the back of the magazine and the lifter is unable to 'lift' the cartridge & present it for chambering. (Obviously there is no problem in the shorter 38 special cases)
I would go right ahead and seat it deeper & crimp on the forward edge of the front driving band if I were loading for an 'N' frame S&W, but I have concerns when using that method in a tube magazine.

Bret4207
06-18-2010, 08:39 PM
Rolling a cannuler (sp) in the case might be your answer.

Glen
06-18-2010, 08:50 PM
I can't run the 358439 through my Marlin levergun in .357 Mag cases. Not a problem, I just load them into .38 Special cases at +P levels and they work great!

beagle
06-18-2010, 10:35 PM
Like Glen, I load a lot in .38 Special cases. If you want to load Mag cases, cut back on max charges a bit and roll crimp on the forward edge of the front driving band. This works really good in my Marlin with no problem./beagle