PDA

View Full Version : Revolver Day

Frank
06-18-2010, 12:57 AM
I've been fine tuning my .475. Gentlemen, let me tell you, load is everything. Let me explain. If I shoot an 1 1/2" group at 25 yrds, that means 3" at 50 yds. Take it offhand, add 1-2" at 50 yrds and you have 4-5" group if you are lucky. But give me a load that produces 1" or better at 50 yds, then now you can do something. So here's the load off the bench, Lee 400 booolit.
http://castboolits.gunloads.com/picture.php?albumid=123&pictureid=2375
Now I take the same load offhand at 50 yds. 6 shots off hand. I had a mistake on the top of the can and called it, so I loaded another one and that's 5 shots into the bottom of the Coke can. A can is 4.75" tall, so those bottom holes around about 2".
http://castboolits.gunloads.com/picture.php?albumid=123&pictureid=2376
Followed up by the .45 Colt Redhawk. The Ultradot Pan-V gave me some problems today. The front bolt broke. I knew somthing was wrong, when it's all off paper. Not to worry, I mounted my back-up Ultradot30, two shots to adjust the sights, then 1 shot at 50 to check the zero. Now I've 7 rounds left in the box so I shoot them all offhand at 50 yds, aiming at the can. The can is 4 1/2" long, so I guess the load is decent with the .45 Colt. This was a new load, I switched powder lots and 1/2 grn less of the charge did it for me. 300 Lee boolit.
http://castboolits.gunloads.com/picture.php?albumid=123&pictureid=2377

Bass Ackward
06-18-2010, 07:04 AM
Seems that you have the concept down.

With all that tape though, maybe I aught to buy some stock in 3M. :grin:

44man
06-18-2010, 08:21 AM
Seems that you have the concept down.

With all that tape though, maybe I aught to buy some stock in 3M. :grin:
Yep, Frank sure does use a lot of tape! [smilie=l:
My fault, I told him to use a can for a target!
I can't find a thing wrong with his shooting and the Redhawk is about the hardest gun to get to shoot small groups with. Just something about the grip angle. Frank has it under control.

Frank
06-18-2010, 01:06 PM
I know, I chuckled too when I saw the picture. But up to that point I wasn't paying attention. I'm trying to stay focused on what I'm doing. I was using those targets at the rifle range, Creedmore shooting, shooting off bad loads for practice, etc. I don't like putting on fresh paper and cans. For what? The naysayers? They're never satisfied. But with the time better spent on real effort, later I can use a fresh piece of paper or a can. But then they'll complain anyhow. They won't like the picture, they'll say the holes are different sizes. Or flat out say He took it at 10 yds and said it was at 100. :violin:

bigboredad
06-18-2010, 03:18 PM
[smilie=s:nice shooting Frank but ya know Do I need to remind you how to shrink those groups up a little:kidding:

Bass Ackward
06-18-2010, 03:35 PM
Creedmore shooting, shooting off bad loads for practice, etc. I don't like putting on fresh paper and cans.

Glad you cleared that up.

Thought Jim taught you his grouping technique of shooting several times and covering the holes you don't like. :grin:

What his other secret is that he doesn't give out is to zoom the camera in so all you see are those 5 or 6 shots. Either that or cover everything else with the gun or extra targets just like his avatar.

I think that is despicable BS. Just move the target closer and cover with plastic to stop the powder burns. Then remove the plastic before you take the picture.

44man
06-18-2010, 04:14 PM
Glad you cleared that up.

Thought Jim taught you his grouping technique of shooting several times and covering the holes you don't like. :grin:

What his other secret is that he doesn't give out is to zoom the camera in so all you see are those 5 or 6 shots. Either that or cover everything else with the gun or extra targets just like his avatar.

I think that is despicable BS. Just move the target closer and cover with plastic to stop the powder burns. Then remove the plastic before you take the picture.
Hey, my friend, stop making my sides hurt so much! [smilie=l: Holy smokes, you found our secrets!
Darn it, I never thought of plastic. :holysheep

Frank
06-18-2010, 06:01 PM
Bass said
What his other secret is that he doesn't give out is to zoom the camera in so all you see are those 5 or 6 shots.
[smilie=l:FYI, I do have the zoomed out pic. I didn't use it because it's impossible to see the two bottom holes. This is what I shoot at. Next time I'll tape those holes and shoot at it again. I don't care. It'll do that with a new target. Is this so hard to believe? I guess I must be doing good. Thanks! :mrgreen:
http://castboolits.gunloads.com/picture.php?albumid=123&pictureid=2378

AzShooter
06-18-2010, 08:20 PM
I have to shoot at a public range and they do not allow any kind of metal targest placed on the target holders.

Why the tin can?

Frank
06-18-2010, 10:49 PM
AZshooter said
Why the tin can?
Good question. It was recommended to me as being better with a red dot. Perhaps it's because it's 3-dimensional, easier to see at long range without magnification. I had it on there Creedmore shooting at 100 and just never took it off.

Lloyd Smale
06-19-2010, 07:26 AM
frank were going to have to take up a collection and buy you some targets ;) Im fortunate that my wife works in an office that has a printer! she keeps me in targets.

44man
06-19-2010, 09:52 AM
But Frank, when you smother the can in so much tape it gets harder to see! [smilie=l:

Frank
06-19-2010, 12:09 PM
There is so much to work on. For one thing, that dot is too close to my eye. Starting to see starlets. I'll probably put the scope back on. I'm going to shim the scope base on the Redhawk so the Pan-V sight isn't bottomed out. I think Crabo said he has the Pan-V sight.

Crabo, does your Pan-V have locking screws for windage and elevation? The manual says it does, but mine has just the windage.

Frank
06-19-2010, 02:33 PM
44man said
But Frank, when you smother the can in so much tape it gets harder to see! [smilie=l:
Think of the guy you see at the range with the tape roll bulging on one side, camera on the other. He's the professional shooter/pic taker. He'll take a few shots, go down range, take a pic. Move the target back to 15 feet if he has to. Put the plastic over the target to cover the powder burns, take more shots. Got to get the pics ready for the evening deadline. :mrgreen:

44man
06-19-2010, 02:45 PM
44man said
Think of the guy you see at the range with the tape roll bulging on one side, camera on the other. He's the professional shooter/pic taker. He'll take a few shots, go down range, take a pic. Move the target back to 15 feet if he has to. Put the plastic over the target to cover the powder burns, take more shots. Got to get the pics ready for the evening deadline. :mrgreen:
:bigsmyl2::bigsmyl2::bigsmyl2: I love this grin!

StarMetal
06-19-2010, 02:54 PM
I thought on that one Frank you shot an artichoke!!! :bigsmyl2:

Frank
06-19-2010, 03:03 PM
StarMetal said
I thought on that one Frank you shot an artichoke!!! :bigsmyl2:

:bigsmyl2::bigsmyl2:

Bass Ackward
06-19-2010, 03:43 PM
I think you guys aught to leave poor Frank be.

He can't help that his favorite movies are the Mummy and Spiderman.

Changeling
06-19-2010, 04:15 PM
Just maybe Frank is smarter than all put together here! When he is asked for an accuracy picture just pull off the pieces of tape till he gets to a group he likes, makes sense to me, LOL.

Thumbcocker
06-20-2010, 10:48 AM
Well I suppose that is a pretty good group on the can but you have to remember that the can was totally unable to run or move around so you have to deduct points for not giving the can a sporting chance. :bigsmyl2: