PDA

View Full Version : Marlin 1894

Snapping Twig
06-16-2010, 03:10 PM
Couldn't wait any longer for my 1895 SBL or GBL which has been on order since November of last year. Just can't get one here in California apparently.

So, there in the used section was a pre cross bolt safety 1894 in 44 mag. Microgroove, has a rail for a scope and swivels for a sling. Also has that tube on the left side of the hammer and the gold trigger if it makes any difference for vintage.

I made the deal for $375 OTD.

I'll get the S/N today and try to look up the born on date.

Stock is a little rough, but a sanding and some linseed oil will take care of that. It's a short barrel, but w/o measuring it, I'd guess @ 18 ~ 20", so overall length is nice and short for a good handling brush gun.

I plan on mounting a scope, my old eyes don't like iron sights anymore. I have on old Redfield Widefield in 4x, so for the time being I'll give that a run, but one day I might go with a low power scout.

I already cast and load for the .44 and have two loads to use - 250g SWC over 7g W231 and the more stout 265g GCSWC over 22g W296.

So, w/o a s/n for vintage, how did I do? Did I hurt myself or is the microgroove no safety version OK?

Any tips or tricks to know?

excess650
06-16-2010, 03:33 PM
It sounds like you did fine. 1894s are getting harder to find and more $$. Subtract the first 2 digit number of your seial number from 2000 and you'll know when it was made. Crossbolt safetys were on Marlins by the mid 80s or so. There were at least 3 variations back then. I think all were 20". The most common is the round barrel with full magazine. Small numbers of octagon/FM and round/HM were also made.

Three-Fifty-Seven
06-16-2010, 07:37 PM
I paid $600 two months ago . . . for mine, nice condition, pre-safety, no checkering, no sling mounts, holds 10 rounds (nine in the mag) 20" micro groove barrel, Williams peep sight.

Shoots good!:bigsmyl2:

Range Gypsy
06-16-2010, 09:21 PM
I think you've done well for yourself.

I bought one used a couple of years ago. Mine has the crossbolt making it a little newer than yours, but after putting an oil finish on the stock it has become one of my faveorites . It shoots jacketed like a dream but I have used a lot of cast in Cowboy Action with very little trouble in the way of leading. And with a little experimenting it will shoot lead reasonablly acurately.

If you don't get the accuracy you are looking for , gas checks may help, although I have not found I need them in either of my micro groove Marlins.

Enjoy it! :bigsmyl2:

Firebricker
06-16-2010, 10:06 PM
I think you did real well plus pre crossbolt safety make's it even more desireable IMO.
FB

izzyjoe
06-16-2010, 10:12 PM
you did very good on that 44, gun show i went to 2 weeks ago had 2 of them. one was $400 nother $525. i got mine 6 months ago for $420. .357 marlin's are scarce,not one not none. anyway size them boolits big maybe .433, that works for me. have fun with you'r new toy. i love mine.:lovebooli

Groo
06-16-2010, 10:19 PM
Groo here
Many 94's do not like SWC bullets RNFN seems the best then TC..
they do not like long rounds also ,, try to stay as close to standard as possible
about 1.600 in 1.64 maybe. Last the micro barrel likes fat cast bullets .430 , .431 area some say as large as you can chamber.
But as always let the gun decide

ELFEGO BACA
06-17-2010, 01:41 AM
A $375 Marlin 1894 is a 'steal'.

JesterGrin_1
06-17-2010, 03:44 AM
I feel the Lee 310Gr RNFP GC will work well and size them .432

But it depends on what you are going to use it for? There is a Group Buy going on now for the 429640 That should also work well.

Three-Fifty-Seven
06-17-2010, 01:56 PM
I feel the Lee 310Gr RNFP GC will work well and size them .432

But it depends on what you are going to use it for? There is a Group Buy going on now for the 429640 That should also work well.

Yep, that's why I'm getting it! Still room for more people to join in!

[smilie=s:

WyrTwister
06-19-2010, 09:07 AM
I think you've done well for yourself.

I bought one used a couple of years ago. Mine has the crossbolt making it a little newer than yours, but after putting an oil finish on the stock it has become one of my faveorites . It shoots jacketed like a dream but I have used a lot of cast in Cowboy Action with very little trouble in the way of leading. And with a little experimenting it will shoot lead reasonablly acurately.

If you don't get the accuracy you are looking for , gas checks may help, although I have not found I need them in either of my micro groove Marlins.

Enjoy it! :bigsmyl2:

If you are having accuracy problems with a Marlin and lead bullets , a larger bullet often improves the situation .

Marlins seem to like big bullets .

God bless
Wyr

Snapping Twig
06-19-2010, 10:20 AM
Thanks for the info!

The S/N is 221XXX, so that puts it @ 1978 if I did the math right.

I also see that there is a possibility of the barrel running fat, so I'll shoot what I've got and see what happens and if it isn't right, I'll get a larger insert for the sizer.

Have to admit I'm getting excited to start on this project. California law makes me wait 10 days, so I'll have the rifle by the end of the week and give it a shakedown.

Also, I saw a Leupold IER scope that's catching my eye, might look into it a bit further. :)

izzyjoe
06-20-2010, 11:09 AM
well if it has a fat bore, and i'm sure it does. it's not a bad thing so don't get frustrated. you just need to slug it and size .001-.002 over groove size. and i'm sure you'll be pleased with it. and the lee 310gr. is a nice boolit for you levergun.

Snapping Twig
06-27-2010, 10:59 PM
Got it Friday and took it to the range the next day with our pistol class.

I massaged it Friday night, taking the buggered screws to the bench for filing and polish then a reblue. Hit the metal with brass wool, oxpho'd it, then I hit the stock with brass wool and alcohol and a linseed oil finish. Took the action apart, cleaned and lubed. Still need to grind down the top of the hammer spur a bit more so the bolt can pass over it better. No big whoop, should be easy now that I've got it 1/2 way done.

After everyone qualified I took the liberty of dialing in the scope. Holy Zots! This rifle likes my bullets! I ripped the center out of the target, no key holing, grouped like a bolt gun.

Why this is so I can not say. I expected it to reject my .429 cast offerings with distain.

The 429421 over 7g W231 is a hoot! No recoil to speak of, but a 250g motar ball steaming out of the barrel @ 1100fps. Felt like an old BP load w/o the smoke, shot straight to boot.

The 429244 was sweet. 22g of W296 gets 'em rolling and I'd be surprised if they weren't @ 1700 fps at the muzzle. Again, no real recoil. It has SOME, but not enough to be called anything but pleasant to shoot. Any pig or deer within 100 yards might not agree however.

Here's a couple pics. I plan on a call to Marlin soon. We'll see if they offer a front stock end cap with a swivel mount. The magazine mount isn't optimum. That and they also have a nice leather sling as I understand, got to have one of those.

Overall summary: *** was I waiting for?! These rifles are supreme enjoyment! Truth be told, I'm glad the 1895 GBL was unavailable, the 1894 is fantastic and I already have all the dies and moulds/loads.

http://i9.photobucket.com/albums/a51/SnappingTwig1/P6260005.jpg

http://i9.photobucket.com/albums/a51/SnappingTwig1/P6260004.jpg

http://i9.photobucket.com/albums/a51/SnappingTwig1/P6260010.jpg

Frank46
06-28-2010, 12:40 AM
Got my first 1894 from a gent at our gun club, 357 magnum and does great with 38 special also I paid the grand sum of $160 for it. Some rust at the wood line and never looked as though it had been cleaned. Cleaned her up and steel wool and kroil took care of the rust. Second one was a 44magnum at a local gunshow. Some rust on the receiver but she cleaned up real well. Paid $240 for that one. Last marlin I looked at in 35 rem the gun show dealer wanted $400 for it. Guess with the thing with marlin moving has caused the prices to go up even on used rifles. Frank