PDA

View Full Version : Redding No. 1 scale dampener?

WallyM3
06-16-2010, 01:29 PM
I have an undampened Redding No. 1 scale that takes an eternity to come to rest. I have heard that Redding had an oil dampening system on one of their scales and am thinking that I could modify this one (two, actually).

Does someone have a pic of the oil dampener that I could copy from?

Pressman
06-16-2010, 01:45 PM
The No1 used to have a dampener. It is a cast in the frame reservoir with a small paddle fitted to the bottom of the beam. Herter's scales used the same system, and were likely made by Redding.
Oil dampening sounds good but is messy over time as the oil tends to creep out of the reservoir and get all over everything.
At one time there was an after market add-on oil dampening system, but they are as rare as hens teeth today.
Ken

WallyM3
06-16-2010, 01:56 PM
Thanks, Pressman. I was afraid that might be the case with the oil.

I have a machine shop (sorta') and could make the modification. I was picturing something suspended under the fulcrum. The casting is solid for a good inch there. Maybe just suspending weight there might help.

06-16-2010, 02:03 PM
WallyM3,
I have an old Texan that is oil-dampened (probably the same as Redding, Herter's, etal), and haven't had any BP experiences. I keep the reservoir about half full, and the beam comes to rest as quickly as the digital scale takes to make its determination.

WallyM3
06-16-2010, 02:11 PM
That's what I'd like to achieve. The beam swings forever.

Pressman
06-16-2010, 03:59 PM
Here are pictures of the Redding oil dampener attachment. The paddle fits in a small bottle of oil. The rod clamps to either side of the beam at the knife pivots.

Also, a picture of the movement dampner that Herter's patented and used on most of their scales. It REALLY works. I am suprised that no one has copied it. Holding the lever down limits scale movement and quickly stops the beam from bouncing. I only use Herter's scales for this very reason.

Ken

WallyM3
06-16-2010, 04:13 PM
Now I see!

That oil contraption would be a disaster on my loading bench, just itching for a chance to happen.

However, that physical damper (I envision the "V" in the lever captures the pointer and that flag thingy is the counterweight) looks like a winner.

Many thanks for your trouble in posting those pictures. Worth more an a thousand words.

Le Loup Solitaire
06-17-2010, 01:03 AM
The oil dampening feature works, but as already stated is a messy affair especially when trying to empty it. An effective method that I have used to slow the constantly swinging beam is to take a sharpened pointy pencil and place the point at the level line when the beam pointer is swinging above the line; the beam pointer when it comes down hits the pencil point and deflects upward. This cuts down on the swinging and speeds up the pointer to settle down faster. LLS

Bret4207
06-17-2010, 07:52 AM
I have the same scale. My method isn't fancy- I just place my finger above the beam and let it bounce off a couple 3 times. Then it'll settle down pretty quick. I have a magnetically dampened scale too, I don't see a huge difference

shooting on a shoestring
06-17-2010, 10:04 AM
I use the Redding and love it free swinging. Its much faster to read the top and bottom of the swing and take the average, than to wait for a damped balance to settle.

The scientific balances I've used in school and work are all free swinging...and for good reasons.

GP100man
06-17-2010, 11:55 AM
It`s an old webster set but works good!!

I`ve since this pic found a glass container (small airbrush bottle) for the oil.

I use a odorless syn. power steerin fluid, it does`nt seem to creep & viscosity is constant in temp. changes!

http://i746.photobucket.com/albums/xx110/GP100man/WebsterScales.jpg

WallyM3
06-17-2010, 11:58 AM
Perhaps it's just because I'm used to magnetic dampening that the undampened scales seem more like perpetual motion machines.

I've never had a magdamp scale give me a bad reading when standard checked (except a 304 when the fulcrum got worn out of spec). I tend to trust their results.

But I do see the merit of free-swinging beam. I'll give it an honest try.

EDIT: I like the Webster approach better than the Redding/Herter style. But either way, I'd be sure to knock it over.

StarMetal
06-17-2010, 12:42 PM
I have an old Redding I bought in the early 70's. I never found the oil to be messy and I wonder why someone would empty it? I believe it's a very very accurate scale. I have the magnetic RCBS one and I use to my Redding to check my RCBS....I trust the Redding more. I even have the box my Redding came in too. You can use heavier oil to slow the swing down a tad.

curiousgeorge
06-17-2010, 01:47 PM
I have the old Redding scale ( had 2 but gave one to a friend for his "extra" scale) and use it with either nothing in the reservoir or with water. I don't use this scale very much, but when I do and want it to settle quicker, I put water in it and use a paper towel to empty it when done. I never leave it in there long enough to worry about rusting.

Not reccommending for everyone, but works for short term and no messy clean ups or oily spills.

Steve

Echo
06-17-2010, 01:50 PM
If skeeters (or June Bugs) get into the oil, it probably should be changed. And if so disposed, I suggest Synthetic oil, as it doesn't creep. Petroleum oils will creep, up the side and over the frame and so on. That's why modern clock oil is synthetic. My Dad was a watchmaker, and had to use purified sperm oil, or other non-pet oil, in lubricating watches & clocks - wanted the oil to stay where he put it.

Or you could go on eBay and buy an RCBS 5-10 magnetically damped scale for about $40 delivered...