PDA

View Full Version : Help with 45 Colt load..

msp2640
06-16-2010, 09:34 AM
Went shooting a Uberti 45 Colt with ammo I loaded about 10 years ago yesterday. The load consisted of a 225 LFN cast, that I believe was designed for 45 ACP (no crimp groove), WW cases, CCI LP primer and I think it was 7.5 gr of Unique. The load was fairly light, accuracy was so-so, but the issue I was having was the amount of unburned powder. I think this was the one and only time I've used Unique, is this typical of the powder? or could it be that it bullet/ powder/case combo needs a heavier crimp for complete ignition - If I remember correctly I used a 45 ACP taper crimp seater on the loads, since there was no crimping groove. I originally loaded 100 rds of this load combo and shot about 40 or so 10 years ago, I don't recall having the powder issues back then - maybe the powder got a bit stale over the course of time? I'm asking only to learn, as this was the last of the 45 loads I had with this bullet and have since obtained "correct" boolits for the cartridge - Thanks for the help Bill L

missionary5155
06-16-2010, 12:00 PM
Greetings
1st I would check on the throats of the cylinders.
2nd Well Unique has a tendency of burning sooty when there is a low pressure burn in a BIG case like a 45 COLT without a heavy boolit involved. Up that boolit to 255 and the oot will be reduced. I shoot ALOT of Unique and I just live with it..

jh45gun
06-16-2010, 07:22 PM
Most Uberti's do not have cylinder issues that I have seen or read on the net so I would suspect it is the load and yes Unique does burn dirtier then some other powders but I live with it too because it is such a good powder for many applications from Shotgun, to pistol and rifle with cast loads. I would go with 8 or 8.5 grains of Unique and the heavier 250 t0 255 grain bullet as suggested. I shoot 8 grains of Unique with a Lee 252 grain SWC and it shoots great out of my Uberti Cattleman.

littlejack
06-16-2010, 09:40 PM
Hey Bill:
I bought a Uberti "Evil Roy" two or three months ago. On deciding which powder to load, I had read a story from Mike Venturino about the spacious case volume of the 45 Colt cartridge. I got to thinkin. That usually gets me into trouble, but it seems to have worked this time.
I wanted a powder that would burn clean, fill the case as much as possible with the charge used, metered well, fast enough to burn in the barrel, not out in front of it, slow enough to not have a real sharp pressure spike with the 250-255 grain bullet. Not necessaryily in that order.
I have a powder that burns very clean, no unburned powder flakes in the bore to speak of. It is lofty enough to take up a lot of case capacity. It meters pretty darn good, I use the RCBS Little Dandy. Seems to burn up in the bore. As far as the pressure spike, I can't say for sure. If you look at it compared to the Unique, it is some slower in its burn rate.
I use 9.2 grains for 925 fps with the old Lyman 454190 bullet. This load does not even seal the cases in the cylinder, so there cannot be much chamber pressure. I will probably stick with this powder and bullet, I see no reason to change. I can hit a ping pong ball at 40'. It's Alliant Herco. Whats not to like.
Jack

Oyeboten
06-16-2010, 10:35 PM
I have finally put a Toe in the Water on trying Smokeless Powders.

Loaded up some .45 Colt with 10 Grains of 'Unique', and, the old 'SAECO' # 435, 230 Grain Wad Cutters.

Did 1055 ish FPS out of the old 'Uberti' Bisley 7-1/2 inch Barrel, and, 865 ish FPS out of a New Service 2-1/4 inch Barrel Snubby.

Seemed to burn clean far as I could tell.

Edit: I am advised that even though this was an old less than 'max' Publsihed 'Lyman' Handbook Load found in the older Lyman Handbooks, it is considered "over-max" by to-days Standards.

So, be advised...

Cowboy T
06-16-2010, 10:53 PM
I use Titegroup for my light .45 Colt loads with 200gr LRNFP boolits. The powder is compact, but it is position-insensitive in the case, so it goes off pretty consistently w/ little to no unburned powder.

msp2640
06-18-2010, 02:02 PM
I appreciate your help - I was trying to figure out if it was the way the powder shoots, as I've had similar results with 2400 in 44 mag loads. I'm going to load the 250 gr LSWC's I picked up and use a decent roll crimp and see if it changes anything. Maybe try a few different charges of Unique. Not trying to build elephant loads, just a decent paper punching load. Thanks again Bill L

cajun shooter
06-18-2010, 03:01 PM
The old Unique would leave small flakes of yellow and gray residue in my 41 and 44 mags but was also the most accurate load I had. Take any large handgun case and put 8 grs of Unique in it to see how well the gun will preform. It's a old standard that still works today. Later David

Oyeboten
06-19-2010, 02:28 AM
Check the diameters of your Cylinder Bores, and, Barrel bore, with respect to the Bullets.

If Bullet is too small, and or too hard and too small, it will not permit as effecient combustion of the Powder...and, it will also fail to be accurate.

If it was meant to be a .45 ACP Bullet ( being then possibly .451 or .452), it might be too small for the .45 Colt Bores ( some of mine are .457)...but, different Revolvers will vary.