PDA

View Full Version : Sights For H&R BC

wiersy111
06-16-2010, 12:00 AM
I'm interested in putting a different sight on my Buffalo Classic so I can reach out farther. This is the sight I am thinking of

http://www.trackofthewolf.com/categories/partDetail.aspx?catId=14&subId=167&styleId=770&partNum=RS-CREED-5-WE

I have seen some others here put them on, how do I go about installing one? What things do I need to take into consideration?

I want to be able to reach out, I want to teach myself long range shooting. I have never shot past 500 meters. I think it would be a hoot to chuck these big punkins out 800 to 1000 yards.

NickSS
06-16-2010, 03:04 AM
The sights you are looking at can with black powder loads reach out to around 800 yards maybe a bit more, You may have to put a lower globe sight on it to even get to 800 yards. If you are shooting faster smokeless loads you can reach 800 or maybe even 1000 with it depending upon how much pain you want to endure from recoil. I have used that sight on a rolling block years ago when I was just starting out with this sport and quickly found that it left a lot to be desired. This is due to the windage adjustment feature which consists of two oposed screws that you loosen one and tighten another. This moves your sight sideways but also downward as it follows the radius of the circle about the pivot point. This made long range windage corrections a hit and miss proposition. It could be done but not fast and not repeatable. Both are essential to long range shooting with any degree of consistent success. That is the reason most competitors spend $400 to $500 for a rear sight. The sight can be mounted using wood screws or you could do the job better by inletting a steel plate into the top of the stock and attach it with epoxy and wood screws and the plate should be drilled and taped for your tang sight. every effort should be made to ensure that the sight sits verticle both horizontally and for and aft as well.

Ljohn
06-16-2010, 03:37 PM
I'll be putting this on my Buffalo Classic next week so I'll let you know how it works and what kind of range it is capable of ( with a globe front site amd BP load) I doubt it will be as far as you are contemplating however.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v62/ljohnwa/Guns/sight.jpg

giz189
06-16-2010, 05:06 PM
I'll be putting this on my Buffalo Classic next week so I'll let you know how it works and what kind of range it is capable of ( with a globe front site amd BP load) I doubt it will be as far as you are contemplating however.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v62/ljohnwa/Guns/sight.jpg I have that sight on my BC and with a 500gr PP Boolit, it is in the very middle of the vertical adjustment.@100 yds. Using 65 grs GOEX FF. Have not had time to shoot and see what max range is. Used front sight that came with gun , am using the shortest widest post that came with the selection of inserts.

wiersy111
06-16-2010, 11:39 PM
This is good stuff! I want to use my BC to learn the large slug long range game. Some time in the future I would like to get a Sharps. So for now I need to keep the cost down.

NickSS
06-17-2010, 02:37 AM
A Williams reciever sight will get you out to 300 yards with BP and maybe 400 but no further unless you put a lower front sight on but then you will only pick up another 100 yards. Generally speaking and within reasonable variations you need 15 minutes of elevation per 100 yards additional range with a 45-70 and BP.

dangerranger
07-16-2010, 01:56 AM
there is another posibility for windage adjustment. someone makes a front globe thats windage adjustable. seems to me they also had a spirit level atached also. DR

eddited to add track of the wolf sells them. DR

cajun shooter
07-16-2010, 07:33 PM
The tang sight that you are looking at has no real windage that would be easy to use. The windage is by lossening a screw and moving the eye piece R OR L. If you look at Creedmoore Soule sights you will see what I am talking about. The problem comes in is just as NickSS told you and that is the price. A good front and rear cost the price of the gun by 2. I went through this very same thing. I had a BC and they are very accurate rifles but were never intended to shoot past 400 yds with the factory sights. You can imbed a piece of metal in the tang area of your stock to drill and tap so that you may mount a tang sight if you choose. I mounted a long range Marble's on mine but it was not good enough to be anything but a hunting sight. You could not dial in for 500 yds and then redial for 200 and expect it to hit. To purchase a Shiloh or C Sharps with the proper sights is in the thousands of dollars. The third gun in that line is Pedersoli. That is what I own now. It is a very accurate rifle but it still requires those same good sights to work

leadman
07-19-2010, 01:38 AM
If you have a Cabela's catalog look at the sights there. You will see the difference in the windage and elevation adjustments.
The sight you are looking at is the same one that came on my Pedersoli rolling Block. Ever adjustment you make is like resighting all over. Was taking me 3 to 5 shots to go from one yardage to the next on a good day. Useless for competition.