PDA

View Full Version : New to reloading. Dillon RL550

Iceman4
06-15-2010, 10:44 PM
Hello,

I have been reading thru this forum quite a bit over the past few months. I just got my new RL550B set up and am trying to start reloading. However, I can not get the primer feed cup to line up under the primer magazine in the tube correctly. It looks like it is centered but then I try pulling a primer out of the magazine it falls out because it is not centered enough. Any advice would be appreciated. Maybe somebody had this same problem when they first used a Dillon 550B.

Thanks

mike in co
06-15-2010, 11:23 PM
try dillons site, and then call them in the morning....its what the tech line is for.....

Edubya
06-16-2010, 07:25 AM
Hello,

I have been reading thru this forum quite a bit over the past few months. I just got my new RL550B set up and am trying to start reloading. However, I can not get the primer feed cup to line up under the primer magazine in the tube correctly. It looks like it is centered but then I try pulling a primer out of the magazine it falls out because it is not centered enough. Any advice would be appreciated. Maybe somebody had this same problem when they first used a Dillon 550B.

Thanks

Welcome to the forum.

Did you drop your primer tube into the primer-tube-holder-tube and turn it until it dropped into place? I don't have my instruction pamphlet here in front of me, but I do remember that the first time that I tried too assemble mine, I didn't align the primer tube and messed up the litlle plastic tip on the primer tube. I called Dillon and they sent me a new one-no charge!
I wish that you were near by, I would drive over and help you get that thing fired up and running, they are such a pleasure. I hope that you got the Dillon dies too, I tried RCBS for a couple of calibers and while I don't mean to put them down, when I went to Dillon dies, and seating separately from crimping, so many problems smoothed out and they are too easy to pull down for cleaning!

Do a Google searc fo a "Dillon 550B assembly", maybe you'll find more info.

EW

Edubya
06-16-2010, 07:50 AM
Okay, here it is:http://www.brianenos.com/dnld/dillon/rl_550b.pdf
What I was callin the "primer-tube-holder-tube" is the "primer housing shield". And the part that I messed up by not properly aligning is the"Flexible Orifice Large".
Hope this helps.
EW

Dan Cash
06-16-2010, 08:40 AM
1. Be sure you have the proper primer seating cup and post for the primers being used, i.e., don't try to feed large primers onto a small cup/post.

2. you may have to adjust the primer carrier travel stop, that is the horizontal screw locked by a jam nut at the base of the primer feed mechanism above the slider and below the little flat spring.

3. Ensure that your primer feed tube is properly installed. If it is rotated out of alignment with its detent in the bottom of the housing, the plastic "Flexible Orfice" will be damaged and primers won't feed.

Iceman4
06-17-2010, 06:44 AM
EW, since you mentioned the plastic tip on the primer tube I checked mine that was on it and it was all messed up so it wouldn't sit down as far as it should. There was another one of those tips that came with it so I put that on and it went in a lot better. I'll see if it works better later today, I think it will since I can see that plastic tip farther down near the seating cup now.

Oh and I do have the Dillon dies. And as of now I'm loading 9mm and am going to start 223 after I get it running smoothly.

Thank you guys for the help. I can tell there are a lot of good guys on here and I look forward to hanging around for awhile.