PDA

View Full Version : how do you clean a pot?

gunsbrad
06-15-2010, 09:13 PM
I have had zinc contamination and would like to thoroughly clean my 20lb lee pot. What is the best way to go about it.

Brad Hurt

06-15-2010, 10:32 PM
Brad,
Haven't had that problem, but if it still has lead/zinc in it, I'd turn the heat all the way up and remove as much zinc as possible. Expect to lose lead in the process. Pour the remaining melt into ingots and save them for "special projects". After the pot cools, disassemble it, scrape off what crud you can, follow up with a wire brush, and dishsoap, sponge and hot water to finish with. Blow or heat dry, making sure all the water has been removed.

Others may have better ways.

Have fun.

Edubya
06-16-2010, 08:26 AM
I have had zinc contamination and would like to thoroughly clean my 20lb lee pot. What is the best way to go about it.

Brad Hurt

Brad, once you have emptied the pot, there is not enough zinc to matter. It will not contaminate your lead with that little bit of zinc. If you feel that you must clean the pot, be sure to do it outside and be sure to wear all of the protective gear, especially a good respiratory devise. Lead dust will get into your system from scraping or brushing. I would not advise blowing it out with compressed air! Fill it with water and boil it , if you insist on scraping it out.

EW

06-16-2010, 08:49 PM
EW,
Perhaps I was clear enough, with the mention of air. I meant it to be used AFTER the pot had been cleaned, thus there would be an absence of any dust. Air was mentioned so as to remove all the water, prior to casting...though, now that I think about it, the gradual increase in the pot's temperature will evaporate any amount that may still be lingering around.

Yes, don't used compressed to blow the dust.

Sorry for the confusion.