PDA

View Full Version : Chaparell's M1876 .45-60 WCF

Grapeshot
06-15-2010, 04:22 PM
Any one out there mount a venier tang sight and globe front on one of these?

I tried a Marbles tang sight on mine and it was to short and all my rounds hit 18 inches LOW at the highest setting. I then installed a Pedersoli Venier Tang sight made for their Sharps and Rollers and had great success.

One of my more experienced suggested that the Marples long range Tang Sight might be a better choice.

Any suggestions?

iron mule
06-19-2010, 09:45 AM
hey grapeshot /// i have one and put the marbles tang sight on it and the lyman globe front sight //i used the medium height post and it does ok but haven't tried to sight in much beyond 150 yds i do have the long post to change to if i need it for longer ranges// another thing that will effect the distance that the post will work at is the height of the front sight// they sure an improvement on the sights that come on these guns/// if i may ask what bullets have you found that work good in yours
mule

missionary5155
06-19-2010, 10:19 AM
Good morning
First check your barrel twist. If it is in the 1-36 area you will need to stick to the shorter boolits for long distance accuracy.
My 1876 has a slow twist and the 250-270 grainers shoot nicely. I only use 2F and it would be plenty powerful enough to hunt any critter still roaming about. A 300 grainer is OK out to 100 yards but they are not stable out to 150. My rifle also needs .462 boolits to fill the throat which gives the best accuracy.
So check that twist and remember the 45-60 was not meant to be a long range target rifle but a up close THUMPER with numerous soft lead boolits. Now the 45-75 was another story!