PDA

View Full Version : .38 Super

Blkpwdrbuff
06-15-2010, 04:05 PM
Hi guys,
I just picked up a RIA 1911 in.38 Super, brandy new!
Anyhows, do you have any favorite loads using the Lee 120 gr Truncated cone bullet?
I'm interested in any and all comments.
Thanks in advance,
Blkpwdrbuff:castmine:

Phillip
06-16-2010, 01:24 AM
Well i am going back 20 years, so bare with me...:groner:

The powder I used was similar to Unique or it may have been Unique. The charge was 4.8 gr, which gave a velocity of about 1000 fps with a 5" barrel.

You know, I am surprised that some one still makes a pistol in 38 super, I had mine for about 2 years before I traded it for a colt in 45 cal. It was a fun plinking round that had about as much kick as a 38 special wad cutter.

leftiye
06-16-2010, 07:28 PM
If'n you want to get nastier - use blue dot. Also try seeing if a 9X23 case will fit your chamber - much stronger. I use these in a 9mm largo for apocalyptic types of shooting (defense), and I'm really pleased. I tried 38 super cases first and they bulged quite a bit. The 9X23 has a much betterer extraction groove, and feeds betterer. (but only if it fits into your chamber - or maybe make it fit)

Blkpwdrbuff
06-17-2010, 05:58 PM
Leftiye, It gets better.
This pistol also came with a Bar-Sto barrel chambered for 38 TJ.(Todd Jarrett for those who don't know what that meant). It will also chamber 9X23 Winchester, 9mm Largo, and 9mm Steyr.
I came with one .38 Super RIA magazine and an original Colt 9X23 Winchester magazine.
How's that for versatility???
Blkpwdrbuff

jimmeyjack
06-17-2010, 06:31 PM
Well i am going back 20 years, so bare with me...:groner:

The powder I used was similar to Unique or it may have been Unique. The charge was 4.8 gr, which gave a velocity of about 1000 fps with a 5" barrel.

You know, I am surprised that some one still makes a pistol in 38 super, I had mine for about 2 years before I traded it for a colt in 45 cal. It was a fun plinking round that had about as much kick as a 38 special wad cutter.

If you load the super to its max potential it kicks more like a .357 and is very flat shooting. What an incredable and under rated caliber.

casterofboolits
06-18-2010, 09:57 PM
I used a 38 Super in IPSC For many years until health problems ( a stroke and uncle aurther) forced me to quit. The 38 Super is a much maligned round, but with a ramped barrel and good handloads it works really well.

Bluedot is my powder of choice and I used a cast 158 grn semi-wadcutter designed by Wilson for Saeco. With a compensator, the gun shot like a light 38 wadcutter round. Power factor was 192, so I cut the load back to 180. Now you can get away with 165! I was getting 357 mag performance.

Saeco also has 145 grn round nose and semi wadcutter molds That are excellent for the 38 Super. I have eight cavity molds in all three. The 145's work great in my EAA Supers. In facT I just cast a couple thousand of the 145 Semi wad cutters to replenish my supply of Super ammo. I size my Super boolits 357.

The Super is an excellent round so have fun with it. YMMV!

PS: Slug your barrel as with every other round, size is king.

Lloyd Smale
06-19-2010, 07:30 AM
Im surely not an expert on the 38super. Ive never owned one. But if i was going to start loading for one id probably get started with power pistol and universal clays for stout loads. They meter great and are clean burning. I usually dont worry about the clean burning aspect of powders but when shooting a semi auto handgun it does help to use a cleaner burning powder and when loading ammo at the top of the pressure curve for a round on a progressive press variations in charge weights using powders like blue dot and unique could get a guy into trouble.

MaxJon
07-05-2010, 08:10 AM
Hi guys,
I just picked up a RIA 1911 in.38 Super, brandy new!
Anyhows, do you have any favorite loads using the Lee 120 gr Truncated cone bullet?
I'm interested in any and all comments.
Thanks in advance,
Blkpwdrbuff:castmine:

Hi blkpwdrbuff,
Mate how many rounds have you shot thru the RIA so far?
What sort of accuracy have you had out of it, and at what ranges?
Pretty sure im gunna get one, they sound pretty sweet for the coin!!
Thanx BB03:p:p:p:p

Four Fingers of Death
07-05-2010, 08:31 AM
I never had much time for 38 Supers before they banned the over 38 cals for combat competition and my 45 Commander got confiscated :( serious bummer. So I went out and bought a new Govt model 38 Super and I love it. Mind you I'd buy a 45ACP in a heart beat if I was allowed to, but I'd be keeping the 38.

crabo
07-05-2010, 10:42 AM
Why won't they let you have 45 acp?

MaxJon
07-05-2010, 07:57 PM

Not a 100% sure if they are banned completely in this part of the world, but they sure made very hard to get one. I was lucky enough to shoot one before they were "restricted". Shortly after the devistating act against humanity at Port Authur, Tasmania back in the 1990's our then Liberal main man decided to punish the people who do the right thing. Unfortunately the 45 was one of the things he liked the sound of or didnt like the sound of? While the "Underworld" of society get to keep theirs to shoot eachother.
Just my 2bobs worth!
BB03:???::???::???::???:

Four Fingers of Death
07-05-2010, 08:30 PM
After the uproar of Port Arthur (mind you if we concealed carry licenses and I was there it would have been a two way range and he probably wouldn't have shot so many) the Govt' were keen to be seen to be doing something about it. I may be wrong, but one thing that came out straight away and was subsequently enshrined in legislation, was the wording that sounded like it came out of the Olympic pistol shooting's body's rule book, calibre not greater than .38. I have a sneaking feeling that they were protecting their interests at the expense of the rest of us. They and the clay target movement did reasonably well out of the event, emerging virtually unscathed with just more paperwork to content with.

We are allowed to have over 38s for Single Action and Silouette.

Now, I suppose you could get a 45ACP Auto for silouette, but I'd be surprised if it slipped through un-noticed. I must try it, I have a Ruger 45 Convertible and thousands of rounds and cases downstairs.

Southern Son
07-06-2010, 03:14 AM
The pistol laws changed after the University shooting. The irony of that is the fact that they banned magazines over 10 rounds and calibers over .38, but the offender involved in that shooting killed his professor with a .357 Mag.

Mic, you are right, many of the shooting groups sold out the IPSC groups, the only laws that changed were pistol laws relating to caliber and magazine capacities, and the changes only really effected IPSC. No more hi cap 38Super race guns, no more single stack .45s, if you want to make power factor in a single stack, then you have to ramp up the 38Super.

Four Fingers of Death
07-06-2010, 09:16 PM
Because we are limited to 38 Super and 9mm and 10 shots, there is no point buying anything apart from a single stacker here, unless the staggered mag models fit your hands better.

I now shoot Two Gov't models, a Colt in 38 Super and a Norinco in 9mm and also a Beretta 92FS.

Mick.

Blkpwdrbuff
08-07-2010, 01:44 AM
Guys, sorry for taking so long to keep you posted on my .38 Super.
I STILL :groner: haven't found time to go and shoot.
Work is really crazy. My partner at work retired, I'm trying to train up his replacement and we got about 4 or 5 big jobs dumped on us.
However, tonight I loaded up 50 shells to try out some 231, Bullseye, AA#5, Reddot, and Unique with the Lee 120gr TC bullet.
Maybe tomorrow if it isn't raining and the wind stops......LOL.
:castmine:

Blkpwdrbuff

Four Fingers of Death
08-07-2010, 05:15 AM
I like 231, it is a great powder.

MakeMineA10mm
08-07-2010, 05:06 PM

Because they're too dangerous!!

:-? Half-smiling/half-frowning, because although I made a good joke, loosing their gun rights isn't funny for our Aussie friends.

As far as the 38 Super, I've not had much pleasure with one yet - just a few rounds - and I've not reloaded for it yet, either, but I've been studying this problem, out of interest/hope.

For a lead bullet practice load with a 120gr boolit, I'd go with W231 at about 5.6grs for about 1200 fps. That's a full-power load, but not +P. (Full-power 38 Super Auto is about 32,500 psi max, and the +P is about 34,600 psi max.) That will also make the gun feel like a "full-power" 38 Super.

For a full-power load, perhaps with a j-word HP bullet, I'd look hard at Ramshot Silohuette powder. It's the same powder as the old Winchester Action Pistol (WAP), which is in the ideal burning range for max output in the 38 Super. A nice additional feature is that it's a ball powder, which makes it flow well and fill the case well. Best of all, it has a flash-retardent, so it won't cause problems with your eyes at night.