PDA

View Full Version : Zucchini and tomatoes

krag35
08-11-2006, 11:34 PM
My sister cooked this the other night, and it was GOOD, and I don't like zucchini.

2 zucchini about the size of an ear of corn diced
1 15oz. can of Italian style diced tomatoes
garlic to taste
dash of sale

pot all in a pot and cook until tender.

krag35

StarMetal
08-11-2006, 11:43 PM
Krag,

Get her to slice up some zucinni and batter them, then fry them, bet you would like those.

Joe

waksupi
08-12-2006, 12:07 AM
Zuchinni = just say no!

bruce drake
08-12-2006, 10:17 AM
Love them or hate them. Everyone has an opinion.

I prefer them sliced and eaten raw with salt like a cucumber. Can't stand them cooked.

Bruce

357maximum
08-12-2006, 11:05 AM
Battered and butter fried zuccinni happens about twice monthly in this house, only thing better is green tomatoes, or morel mushrooms.

StarMetal
08-12-2006, 11:12 AM
357max,

Well if you like those, maybe this will blow your taste buds. Sure shocked my wife until my dad got her to try them. Italians, as you know love zucinni. Italians batter and fry alot of stuff. Well they have a habit of battering and frying zucinni BLOSSOMS!!!! Yep, you heard me right, those kinda orange flowers. You don't have to worry about killing off your zucinni production because we all know how those babies multiply, sometimes you have stand guard and shoot them with a gun to keep them from overtaking the neighborhood, well your garden. Yeah, pluck some of those blossoms , batter and fry them. My wife said "yuck" when dad told her. He coached her into trying one, the rest was history.

Joe

waksupi
08-12-2006, 03:39 PM
We are debating a very sensible proposition in this county, that only one person will be permitted to grow zuchinni, in a given season. This is to help cut back, on the amount of zuchinni that shows up in unlocked vehicles. At the same time, we have resounding support, for the proposition that there can also be only one banjo player, and one accordian player, in the county at one time.

44woody
08-12-2006, 04:32 PM
well if you realy want something good season the zuchinni and put them in a smoker till they are just a little crunchy while you are at it put some mushrooms in therer to with a nice beef roast smoke them till they are done serve with a fresh salid and a large glass of ice tea it's a meal fit for a king 44Woody

onceabull
08-12-2006, 04:57 PM
over 20 years ago the zucchini plague was dealt with in this valley by prohibiting distribution at churches,schools,and any other public gathering place.In essence one must proclaim that it was,indeed,grown on their property and under their care before it can be offered. Few are willing to come forth.. I'm reminded of the long summer of xx,when ,to impress a new bride,I grew Okra here, 6 wks after harvest began, a caravan of troopers from the Noxious Weed Control Bureau pulled up one morning.,,:twisted: Onceabull

9.3X62AL
08-12-2006, 05:37 PM
Our Zucchini is coming on strong, but the tomatoes are lagging behind. The good thing about growing zucchini is how well it keeps nosey neighbors off the back fence. Corn attracts same, in droves. No corn this year, so no neighbors begging over the back fence. I'm hoping the zucchini continues producing while the tomatoes ripen, to serve as a beggar repellant. One neighbor has an FFL, he stays well stocked and he likes zucchini. The rest of them can, well, never mind.

wills
08-12-2006, 07:07 PM
Al, you must have a later growing season up north. Our garden is done, and re-plowed for fall. If we don’t get some rain though we may not bother.

birdhunters
08-13-2006, 09:09 PM
Ok folks here is another recipe for all you zuccini,,,okra lovers. One medium zuccin, about 2" in diameter by 8" to 10" long. Slice zuccin length wise and remove the seeds and pith leaving only the meat . Fill the zuccine with deer sausage(or if you must use pork or hamburger) okra, canned tomatoes and a little rice. You can even use instant rice if you use some of the juice off the tomatoes. Add garlic and onion to taste. Put stuffed zuccini into over at 350 degrees for 30 min. or until done. ummmm goood. You can even sprinkle some cheese on top which makes it a little better imho.

357maximum
08-14-2006, 12:49 AM
You want an odd "one" that tastes great?

Batter dipped and deep fries dendelion blooms, yeah that pesky little yeller flower growing wherever it was not invited in your lawn. Tastes almost like morels mixed with eggplant.. mmm mmm good, but I save most of my dandelions for the neighbor, he makes a corn/dandelion "wine" that will make your knees and teeth numb.

Michael

StarMetal
08-14-2006, 07:17 AM
I've had dandelion wine, it's a killer for sure. So is tomato wine.

Joe

mparks
08-14-2006, 08:28 AM
I learned my lesson on zucchini last summer. Gave away what I could and my aunt and wife stuffed the freezer with zucchini bread. Set up the last dozen or so and blasted them with a .41 mag. If you center punch them just right the top flys 10-15' high.:-D

This years garden contained 0 zucchini plants.

scrapcan
08-14-2006, 02:53 PM
You can also add just a pinch of cayenne (sp?) pepper when frying the greeen stuff and the red stuff. Just a little though, too much will leave your nose running. A few red onions or green onions mix in well also.

357maximum
08-14-2006, 10:38 PM
So is tomato wine.

I have got to try some of that. I see what John can come up with, when it comes to basement brews he is king. Cherry cordial,wines of almost any berry and fruit,veg, turf combo you can think of but never heard him mention mator wine, might prove to be a new one for him. He makes a berry cordial using a liquid normally involving a copper tubing contraption in his "smokehouse" that makes it darn difficult to walk after a few glasses, but yet it tastes like juice, no alcohol taste whatsoever, just fruit juice with a crouching tiger hidden dragon kick.

StarMetal
08-14-2006, 10:59 PM
357maximum,

Of all the berry wines, I like elderberry the best. You know elderberries are kind of hard to find anymore. I've had rice wine too. Real asskicker. My brother's father in law, both deceased now, made really good potent grape wine. He made white or clear, whatever you want to call it. It would lay you out. One of those little paper dixie cups that will fit in the palm of your hand, would make even the hardess of drinkers woozy. I use to tease him and say you could run your car on that stuff. Another super wine maker gone.

Joe

stocker
08-18-2006, 10:26 AM
Wash and slice zuccini into 1/2 " thick slices. Place in a large zip loc and marinate with a bit of olive oil, sun dried tomato and red pepper salad dressing, herbs of your choice including lots of garlic can be added. Salad dressing can be varied and Italian works well. Cook on your grill when doing burgers, steaks etc. . Made a believer of me.

C1PNR
08-18-2006, 07:07 PM
Wash and slice zuccini into 1/2 " thick slices. Place in a large zip loc and marinate with a bit of olive oil, sun dried tomato and red pepper salad dressing, herbs of your choice including lots of garlic can be added. Salad dressing can be varied and Italian works well. Cook on your grill when doing burgers, steaks etc. . Made a believer of me.
This sounds like a "Cook's Treat" type recipe, kind of like my "Sweet Potato Dollars" of peeled sweet potato sliced 1/4" cross wise (big sweet potato) or longways (smaller sweet potato). Barbecued right alongside the steaks, burgers, etc. As the sweet potato dollars are done, the cook shares some and eats some.[smilie=1:

stocker
08-18-2006, 08:07 PM
Dang, that sounds good too. Maybe we could all get our own TV show on the food channel. Dutch oven full of lead on one side of the grill and food on the other side. Wouldn't that raise some concerns?

Bad luck Bill
08-20-2006, 09:12 PM
We stuff them (the blossoms) with riccota also, very good eating.

omgb
08-23-2006, 11:38 PM
My version:

5 or 6 Zucchs sliced about .25" thick
3 cups of cherry tomatos fresh from my garden
1/2 cup diced onion
2 cloves garlic, chopped
5 or 6 leaves of Basil fresh from my garden
2 tablespoons of oregano leaves fresh from my garden
2 table spoons of olive oil
1 cup sliced mushrooms
salt and pepper to taste
1 red Bell Pepper diced

Brown onions and pepper and mushrooms in olive oil
Add zucchs and tomatoes cook for 3-5 minutes on high heat
add spices and reduce heat to medium. Cook for 15 minutes or until zucchs reach desired tenderness. Serve over toasted french bread or rezuto.

Bad luck Bill
08-24-2006, 01:03 AM
That sounds damn good too!

357maximum
08-24-2006, 11:17 PM
357maximum,

Of all the berry wines, I like elderberry the best. You know elderberries are kind of hard to find anymore. I've had rice wine too. Real asskicker. My brother's father in law, both deceased now, made really good potent grape wine. He made white or clear, whatever you want to call it. It would lay you out. One of those little paper dixie cups that will fit in the palm of your hand, would make even the hardess of drinkers woozy. I use to tease him and say you could run your car on that stuff. Another super wine maker gone.

Joe

I do not know where you are at, but elderberries are everywhere around here, if you truly desire some I could express you some. I pick about 20 gallons every year, for jams, and to help john with his wine making. Elderberry is darn fine wine you just have to be careful, it will make paste like excrement that you litterally have to shake off if it is overconsumed. (no real good way to say that now is there) I have several bottles of elderberry wine in the utility room, I would send you some, but I am sure that would violate a ton of DO NOT DO'S.

Michael