PDA

View Full Version : Which primers in 223 cast?

Daryl
06-15-2010, 07:52 AM
I've been following the recent 223 cast thread. It is quite helpful since I'm about ready to start loading it myself. I'm using the 55 grain Lyman 225415. I have 2400, RX7, and H110 on hand to try loads with.

But, there appears to be a mix on which primers. The Lee manual simply states its loads with "Small Rifle Primers" but the Lyman Cast Bullet Book specifies "Small Rifle Magnum".

Which would be best to start with? (I have both available). My Chrony is broken so I won't be able to measure velocity.

I will be starting with a T/C Contender Carbine barrel.

Thanks

Daryl

StarMetal
06-15-2010, 09:07 AM
Counting out high velocity loads with cast, I would try them all and see which give you the best consistent accuracy. Talking about another cartridge, the 22 Hornet, I use small pistol primers exclusively because the small rifle primer is really too much primer for it. You will find sometimes that the rifle primer will push the powder and bullet into the bore before the powder ignites properly.

JeffinNZ
06-15-2010, 06:31 PM
CCI small rifle primers have always given me good results in my .223 with reduced, cast loads. They are quoted as being rather mild.