PDA

View Full Version : not cast and probably not even a military rifle

Lloyd Smale
06-15-2010, 06:10 AM
but i was out shooting my 16 inch dpms ar10 yesterday and shot one of the best group ive ever shot with a rifle of any kind. 5 shots into 7/16s of an inch at a 100 yards. Load was a 150 seirra flat base spitzer using 414 and a ww primer. Unbelievable how well the ar platform will shoot. Most of my bolt guns wont come close even with match bullets let alone hunting bullets loaded progressively on a hornady lock and load. Had the trigger done but its still 4lbs with some creap and I was resting the gun on some sand bags in the front only. It would probably be scary with a good rest and a 2lb trigger. It was done with a leupold 2x7 scope too not a big target scope.

StarMetal
06-15-2010, 09:10 AM
but i was out shooting my 16 inch dpms ar10 yesterday and shot one of the best group ive ever shot with a rifle of any kind. 5 shots into 7/16s of an inch at a 100 yards. Load was a 150 seirra flat base spitzer using 414 and a ww primer. Unbelievable how well the ar platform will shoot. Most of my bolt guns wont come close even with match bullets let alone hunting bullets loaded progressively on a hornady lock and load. Had the trigger done but its still 4lbs with some creap and I was resting the gun on some sand bags in the front only. It would probably be scary with a good rest and a 2lb trigger. It was done with a leupold 2x7 scope too not a big target scope.

That's good shooting Lloyd, and I won't take that away from you, but it's not surprising to me how well the AR platform can shoot. You should see the boys that do that at yardage!!

Make sure you right that load down in your book...it's a keeper.

Lloyd Smale
06-15-2010, 02:54 PM
I allways watched in envy at guys that shot the m1as in comp. They shoot those tiny little groups at a 200 yards with OPEN SIGHTS. Hell i cant hardly see that bullseye there shooting at anymore.

StarMetal
06-15-2010, 03:01 PM
I envy the guys that do the shooting that I haven't done or don't do and that is accurate double action shooting a revolver and aerial shots.

Echo
06-15-2010, 11:01 PM
Good shooting, Lloyd. The AR10 is in .308, right?

And I have heard that the AR10 is difficult to tune for good accuracy. Comment, anyone?

mike in co
06-15-2010, 11:37 PM
an ar10 is an armalite 308 rifle........period.

all other 308 ar's are just that...308's

my stock ar10(t)...............24" match trigger free float tube...good hp scope.....sub .5 all day long with berger 175's.

my ar10 br rifle is....well its great.......small group to date is a 0.116...at 100............

the ar platform with quality parts a solid rest a quality scope....tack drivers.

mike in co

MtGun44
06-16-2010, 12:22 AM
Bret needs to hear that, too. As much as I know that he is a real expert on this stuff,
I was surprised to find out that he wasn't aware of how amazingly accurate the various
AR's can be.

Good job, it is nice getting a rifle that shoots that well, and it is somehow even neater
when the rifle is a 'slam-bang' rifle.

Bill

mike in co
06-16-2010, 04:05 PM
i'm supriseed you dont see more for varmit control....

one lower, 3,4,5,6 uppers...shoot till hot, switch uppers...do it again.

upper, bbl and bolt scope, all in one structure, no bedding issues.....

mike in co