PDA

View Full Version : S&W Sigma 40 cal with bullet stuck in barrel

milsurp mike
06-14-2010, 05:22 PM
A guy I work with has a cast bullet stuck in the barrel of his S&W Sigma in 40 cal,What is the best way to get it out.Also the Pistol fired and ejected the brass but wouldnt chamber another round because of the new bullet not chambering because of the stuck bullet thank God.If the cartridge had enough power to eject the brass why would the bullet get stuck?He shoots with commercial cast bullets loaded with Bullseye and rarely cleans this pistol if ever.My theory is barrel probably started leading and got to the point where the bullet wouldnt pass.Any ideas on getting the bullet out and any ideas on why the bullet got stuck?Mike

Doby45
06-14-2010, 05:28 PM
Cheap and quick? Get a wooden dowel and place it in the muzzle and pound it out the back.

Proper? Get a properly fitted brass or aluminum punch and do the same thing.

anachronism
06-14-2010, 06:07 PM
You might also tell the guy that every case must have powder in it or this will happen again.

82nd airborne
06-14-2010, 06:30 PM
maybe avoid sigmas as well.

MtGun44
06-14-2010, 07:04 PM
Brass rod, hammer. Not dirty, no powder.

Guess how I know this. :-)

Echo
06-14-2010, 07:21 PM
Same way I know it, MG44...

Old Caster
06-14-2010, 07:54 PM
As said previously there was no powder in the case but I will also have to say that a primer only without powder did not cycle the gun. With enough power to cycle, a gun will also have enough power for the bullet to leave the barrel. Sometimes when a primer only fires it doesn't even make an audible sound. Usually all that happens when a second bullet is fired on top of the first that is stuck in the barrel it just ruins the barrel but there is no guarantee that it won't sometimes come apart in your hand which all boils down to---- be careful when shooting any loads and not just reloads.

milsurp mike
06-14-2010, 08:10 PM
Used a piece of brass rod and hammer and removed bullet.He swears the action cycled and it went bang as normal.I wasnt there to see or hear it so dont know.Bullet still had lube in the groove.Bore is half way clean.Thx for the Info Guy's.Mike

mooman76
06-14-2010, 08:11 PM
I personally would remove the barrel first, if you can. If not knock it out with a brass rod, either way. And it's best to use some kind of mallet rather than a hammer and risk damaging something, like the crown.

GabbyM
06-14-2010, 09:18 PM
dido on no powder. if it had powder the gun would have blown up before a bullet failed to leave the barrel.

Apply slicky stuff in bore then tap slug out with dowell of your choice. After removig barrel from slide of course. Motor oil is what I'd use.

mooman76
06-14-2010, 09:44 PM
A dowell is not a good idea. It could split and jam around the bullet and then it's stuck good.

randyrat
06-14-2010, 10:19 PM
Some body was using a progressive reloading press and flaky powder. The powder bridged, preventing enough powder to drop and caused a SQUIB load. Just enough pwder was in the case to work the action but not enough to push the bullet out the barrel.

Thats a dangerous situation, i always set up a mirror on the press or check each round to prevent that.

Kinda ruins your day at the range unless someone has a dowell and a hammer.

randyrat
06-14-2010, 10:22 PM
Mooman good point...If the bullet has a round to it the wooden dowell can split.

Al_sway
06-14-2010, 11:36 PM
Remove the barrel first.
You can use brass rod, or a steel rod. If you are using steel (.25" is good diameter), simply make sure the edges at the end are rounded slightly, and then use tape to build up the diameter in a couple of place to fit the barrel. You will then have a bullet removed that is perfectly centred in the barrel and the steel will not touch the barrel.
Don't forget to put a bit of oil down the barrel and let it soak for a while. Try to drive the bullet out the shortest distance possible.
Also, it is a a problem of little or no powder (a couple of flakes perhaps).

dogbert41
06-14-2010, 11:54 PM
I vote wooden dowl. Just make sure it isn't overly long and at least .30 cal

MtGun44
06-15-2010, 01:17 AM
The dowel folks haven't been here when the guys have a dowel fractured and wedged
into the barrel and no way to get it out, nothing to move it as the long angle fractured
pieces have wedged the whole mess until NOTHING will move it.

Next they are thinking about heating the barrel to burn the wood, or melt the boolit or
drill the whole mess out - trying to save the barrel.

Many folks have gotten away with dowels, but reading the extreme unhappiness from
a guy with a barrel in this condition will convince you that brass is a LOT safer. I actually
use a steel rod with some rings of tape and a .25ACP case wedged on the end as a
brass alignment shoe to slug barrels.

Bill

imashooter2
06-15-2010, 07:09 AM
Absolutely recommend against using wood. The potential downside far outweighs the cost savings. Use a brass, aluminum or steel rod (if steel, taped as already suggested). Drive the bullet out with short blows from the heaviest hammer you own. 2 pounds minimum. Fast blows from a light hammer can swell the bullet sticking it tighter.

Phat Man Mike
06-15-2010, 10:36 AM
wow I guess that I'm not the only one that has had a squib! :drinks: I made a wooden dowel with a old rifle case that just fit in my barrel to knock out them buggers! [smilie=1: and yes a good wack with the heaver hammer than just beating the lights out of it.... :roll: IMHO

HiVelocity
06-15-2010, 11:17 AM
I guess someone didn't visually check each case before seating a bullet..........hmm!

He's lucky he stopped when he did. You, and everyone, have to remember that "Safety" comes first in reloading. Speed kills (loading too fast and not paying close enough attention to detail).

Also, the Sigma wouldn't be my first choice in handguns. I was told many years ago that you should, "Buy now what you'll eventually end up buying later anyway!" And, that pretty much rings true.

Good Luck, be safe!

HiVelocity in SC:mrgreen:

sergeant69
06-15-2010, 11:36 AM

+10. tell him to trade it off on an M&P.

Dframe
06-15-2010, 11:43 AM
Didn't see anyone mention oil. Bullets come out easier if you put in a few drops of oil to help smooth it's trip out. I always go with a piece of brass rod available for not that much cost at hardware stores.

Bill*
06-15-2010, 12:55 PM
Didn't see anyone mention oil. Bullets come out easier if you put in a few drops of oil to help smooth it's trip out. I always go with a piece of brass rod available for not that much cost at hardware stores.

Yeah....Al sway did....post # 14

XWrench3
06-15-2010, 03:27 PM
i vote wood as well. i have knocked a couple of stuck boolits out that way. be sure to use lubricant on both sides of the boolit to help it move. i also slug my barrels with wood dowels, although that is something planned, and everything is clean and lubed.

rbstern
06-15-2010, 04:03 PM

Blame a perfectly good gun for a reloading error?

Doby45
06-15-2010, 04:42 PM
http://images.ibsrv.net/ibsrv/res/src:www.yotatech.com/get/images/smilies/horse.gif

milsurp mike
06-15-2010, 04:54 PM
Again thx for the info.He got the bullet out and brought it and the barrel to me today.Bullet has burn of what appears to be burnt powder.I am thinking very light load.It has stringy lead in the grooves of the bore the length of the bore.What is a easy way to cleaning the lead out of this barrel?Mike

Doby45
06-15-2010, 04:57 PM
copper chore boy

sergeant69
06-16-2010, 11:16 AM
copper chore boy

on a brush or patch?

Doby45
06-16-2010, 11:24 AM
You can push it through as a patch or attach it to a brush

azcruiser
06-16-2010, 05:47 PM
Not sure but i think that the bullet that was keeping another round from chambering. Was the second bullet that was stuck in the barrel it forced the first one out got stuck and ejected the empty case.No powder and just a primer would not work the slide.A case with a light load would have gone farther down the barrel . Look at the barrel and see it it has any ring/s

sergeant69
06-16-2010, 08:38 PM
You can push it through as a patch or attach it to a brush

this stiff available in hardware stores,wally world........?? never seen it b4.

gwilliams2
06-16-2010, 09:54 PM
Cheap and quick? Get a wooden dowel and place it in the muzzle and pound it out the back.

Proper? Get a properly fitted brass or aluminum punch and do the same thing.

+1 on this... I've seen this happen and the only cause that I'm aware of is low powder charge, a primer alone would not eject the case.

mooman76
06-16-2010, 10:03 PM
this stiff available in hardware stores,wally world........?? never seen it b4.

It's in the area for cleaning dishes, most store have them. Looks like real coarse steel wool or stripped off metal from a lathe if you've seen that before. Stay away from steel ones. Use brass or copper. You can cut off a small piece and wrap it around your cleaning brush and run through a few times like you do when you normally clean the barrel.

Doby45
06-17-2010, 12:04 AM
http://i22.photobucket.com/albums/b321/datasuspect/choreboy-1.jpg

Beagler
06-17-2010, 12:38 AM
had a sigma 40 and got rid of it after shoot the third box of ammo. I have used a manual hydro shop press to push out a stuck 9mm very slowly and with constant even pressure and used alot of oil. drilled a hole in a brass block just big enough for the bullet to pass through and counter bored the hole so the barrel would fit and stand on end itself. Gun still fires and groups with no ill effects

sergeant69
06-17-2010, 02:14 AM
had one too and after a coupla boxes sold it to a neighbor at a hell of a price. he brought it back and i had to refund his money. gave it to son and he sold it to a coworker that has never owned a gun b4 and has nothing to compare it to. we've got bets going to see how long that deal lasts.