PDA

View Full Version : "primers..."

exile
06-14-2010, 04:12 PM
First let me say, I did not know where to put this thread, so I put it here.

I just received a shipment of 5,000 primers that I had been waiting on for a year. To begin with, the bottom of the box was wet. (The UPS guy was of course, gone, by the time I got to the door).

Upon opening up the package, only one box of 1,000 primers was even damp, and within that box, six sleeves of 100 were slightly damp on the bottom of the sleeve. I opened those up, and the dampness was on the bottom, not the top. As far as I can see, the plastic trays protected the primers themselves from getting wet.

I took the packages of 100 primers out of the damp sleeves and am letting them dry overnight. I have left the primers in the plastic trays for safeties sake. To be honest, I am not too worried about it, am I just being naive?

In addition, one of the boxes of large pistol primers (says "large pistol" on the outside) turned out to be "large pistol magnum" on the inside. Not a problem for me as I can use them, although not what I wanted.

I have already decided not to send this shipment back, as primers are hard to find and I feel that the company (who shall remain nameless) took a loss on the primers giving me a year old price in an effort to fill my backorder.

Am I taking a risk, as in blowing up a gun with primers that may have become damp, even though I don't think they actually got damp? Any thoughts would be appreciated.

exile:coffee:

hoosierlogger
06-14-2010, 04:29 PM
I dont think you are risking blowing up any guns, but you may end up with a few fail to fires, and or weak ignition on powder causing erratic patterns. I wouldn't worry about the magnums in the wrong box, but I would definitely contact the shipping company and complain to them about the conditions as to which they were delivered. Did they label the box as fragile or explosive? If so then I would try to see if they would make it right with a monetary refund if the package was insured this should be no problem. It may take some time, but might be worth it.

exile
06-14-2010, 04:48 PM
The package was definately labeled "hazmat". This is as it should be since the hazmat fee on this shipment was $ 25.00. As I am thinking about it, I feel like UPS should reimburse someone, but I am not sure how that would work. Perhaps my strongest feeling here is that UPS should be more careful with packages that are labeled "hazmat" in the future. Of course, we are probably fortunate that they are willing to deliver such packages anyway, they will probably stop in the future, citing "national security". I guess that they really don't care anyway, as it would have been obvious to anyone that the package was wet.

It seems like a simple fix for this problem would be for the company that supplied the primers to either shrinkwrap the inside package or the outside package to prevent such damage in the future, but maybe you are not supposed to do that with hazmat shipments, I don't know.

exile

Idaho_Elk_Huntr
06-14-2010, 06:21 PM
Im almost 99% sure that Hazardous material has to be signed for by an adult

exile
06-14-2010, 07:42 PM
I asked the company about that when they said my order was to be shipped since I might not be home, they said not on their end, apparently not as far as UPS is concerned either. This is the second order of primers from this company, and I don't remember signing for the last order either.

I have ordered several pistol barrels and I did have to sign for those, go figure.

exile

jcwit
06-14-2010, 08:54 PM
Let the primers dry out, you'll have no problem. At one time I dropped 3/4 hundred primers into the cats water dish. They were throughly soaked, I let them dry, and used them with no missfires or hang fires or anything. Remember when they are made the priming compound is wet.

GabbyM
06-14-2010, 09:45 PM
Im almost 99% sure that Hazardous material has to be signed for by an adult

True but I've waived that with a declared delivery point at my home. In my case it's a location under roof. Also in view of security camera.

Primers will be fine after drying out.

jsizemore
06-14-2010, 10:11 PM
When you think their dry, load one in an empty case and fire away.

spqrzilla
06-14-2010, 10:24 PM
Here's what I would do in this situation. I'd segregate the primers that were wet, and I would not use them for reloading cartridges that would be used for an important match, a big game hunting trip nor for self-defense purposes.

Otherwise, I'd not worry about it.

cajun shooter
06-14-2010, 10:44 PM
If you take the primers you are a little worried about and mix them up on the table. I will be willing to bet that if you have a chronograph that you will not find any difference in your loads.

exile
06-15-2010, 01:45 AM
Sounds like there is nothing to worry about, thanks guys.

exile

Nose Dive
06-19-2010, 12:12 AM
Well Damp is Damp... Wet is Wet... Dry is dry. Let'em dry out if you can... Arizona this time of year is nice. Here in Houston...well Hot and damp.. So,, if in humid area..inside AC area for sure.

What concerns me is the MIS LABELING of the primers. MMMMM...not good... seems kinda strange,,,but,,,if you can FOR SURE ID what you have and it is WHAT THEY say they sent you..dry'em up..shoot'em up...

deltaenterprizes
06-20-2010, 10:32 AM
Primers are wet until packaged and then they are allowed to dry. I have primers that were under water for weeks and have 99 out of 100 fire.