PDA

View Full Version : hollywood dies

curiousgeorge
06-14-2010, 03:25 PM
Traded for 4 sets of Hollywood dies over the weekend. Got a .30-06, .30-.30, .45-70, and a .22 Varminter. Have not tried out yet and may not even use, but wanted just to put in my old Hollywood 12 hole turret press with a couple of Hollywood powder measures that I have had for some time.

I am fairly familiar with Hollywood reloading presses and powder measures, but have never had any of the dies. I assume that they were top of the line back when they were made but really don't know.

Anybody out there still using Hollywood dies?

thanks,

Steve

Pressman
06-15-2010, 08:53 AM
Steve, I do not have much info on them other than a couple of sets and they are not in the original boxes. I have no other litrature or instructions. What I have observed is there are at least two different types, those made by Hollywood in the early 50's and those made later, possible by C-H. I am "assuming" that the early ones are better, but....
The later ones bear a close resemblence to C-H dies.

Ken

GeneT
06-15-2010, 09:49 AM
Steve, I do not have much info on them other than a couple of sets and they are not in the original boxes. I have no other litrature or instructions. What I have observed is there are at least two different types, those made by Hollywood in the early 50's and those made later, possible by C-H. I am "assuming" that the early ones are better, but....
The later ones bear a close resemblence to C-H dies.

Ken

There have been two business to use the name "Hollywood". The old "Hollywood Gun Shop" and the present day "Hollywood Engineering". The present day makes at least presses that look like the older presses. Service from the present day outfit is terrible to the point that I will not do business with them anymore. Quality of product from the original was great, the new place was good in my experience, but I've heard complaints from others about quality of the new stuff.

GsT

dragonrider
06-15-2010, 12:35 PM
I have a couple sets of Hollywood dies, 9.3X57 and think the other is 30-30, might have some in 30-06 too. They are good dies. Well made.

Char-Gar
06-15-2010, 01:42 PM
They are good dies, but no better than other quality dies of the period (Pacific, C-H, RCBS etc.)

curiousgeorge
06-15-2010, 04:13 PM
Thanks for the input. I am sure that these are the older Hollywood Gunshop dies. The dies, the big turret press, and both the smaller and larger model powder measures were purchased by the same man either in the late 50's or early 60's. I have been fortunate to wind up with almost all of his reloading equipment over the years. Lots of interesting items. Some I use, most I don't due to having all my own stuff since the late 70's, but I think they look sharp all put together sitting at one end of my 3rd reloading bench (somehow I keep running out of room).

Did not know that C-H made Hollywood dies at one time. Interesting to trace the ownership and partnerships of reloading supplies companies over the last 60 years.

PRESSMAN

Ken, saw your post on the topic of a 4-hole C-H h-style press. I also have an older pistol champ complete. Always a little awkward to use, but finally found it's purpose in my set up. When I bought the 50th anniversary Ruger .357, discovered that the 170 gr Keith was too long for my cylinder in a standard length case. Trimmed 50 cases, dropped the powder charge approx 1/2 grain (made a bushing to go in their powder measure) and set it up just to load that bullet for that gun. Easier than readjusting seating and crimping dies every time and finally put the old press to use. (and no, I didn't change to a shorter bullet since in my younger days I tried to wear out a 4 cavity mold and made thousands & thousands of them which I am STILL shooting)

Steve

Pressman
06-15-2010, 05:56 PM
Steve, sounds great. I like the 170 gr Keith in my 357/44 B&D. I can seat it deep enough without scrimping on powder charge and the heavy bullets seem to shoot the best.

Speer used to, but no more, make a .358' rifle bullet that I really liked. It was the best of all bullets for accuracy. Just lamenting now..

I understand what yopu did, I have my bench set up so I can mount five tools across the front on "bread boards". That provides a lot of flexibility, and the oppurtunity to use a lot of old presses.
Ken

thebigmac
06-15-2010, 06:43 PM
George--- check your PM's. Bigmac

NoDakJak
06-18-2010, 12:03 AM
I have been using a Hollywood press for fourty years and just managed to buy my first set of Hollywood dies. This particular die set certainly does not seem to match the quality of the press. Perhaps they were contracted for out of shop. I am looking for more Hollywood dies and also Micro Preciscion dies. Neil

Gelandangan
06-18-2010, 06:15 AM
I still use a set of 45-70 made by Hollywood.
They are good!

TonyT
06-22-2010, 10:35 AM
The old Holywood dies were and still are excellent products. I have two sets - 222 Rem and 30-06.