PDA

View Full Version : .44 Mag bullets

Intel6
06-14-2010, 01:12 PM
Swaged up some .44 bullets and since I was going to test out my .40 bullets in 10mm I decided to load up some of the 252 grain JHPs in .44 Mag.

In the pic you can see the 180 gr. TC lead bullet I am using and then the loaded rounds. The bullets I am using are a coated lead TC bullet from CA called Bear Creek Bullets. Normally I wouldn't use these types of bullets but they had been previously loaded with a heavy crimp and then pulled so they had been sized down and really couldn't be loaded again. They changed hands a few times until they were given to me because I was a known caster and could melt them down. I had a feeling I might have a better use for them so I put them on a shelf. When my one step die arrived I realized I had 500 ready to go cores for my .44 bullets. :-)

I loaded these up with some Win 296 and was pushing them out at 1,300 fps out of my 7.5 Redhawk. I was able to get consistent hits at the 200 M steel plate at my range so I was happy with the results. I will need to make some more and then do some accuracy testing using my Ransom Rest.

BT Sniper
06-14-2010, 07:39 PM
Your on your way now! I tested my 44s up to that FPS as well with same powder. It was a while ago but I was plesed with the results. Your going to need a cannalure tool soon :) Mine is just sitting around. I could send it your way to try out see what you think. If you like it then we could talk $ in a PM.

Good shooting!

BT

Intel6
06-15-2010, 12:26 PM
Since I have pushed heavier cast bullets as fast I will probably push them faster but you are correct, I am in dire need of a cannlure tool (PM SENT). I had the last bullets in the cylinder pulling out on me so to finish up the box I started shooting 3 at a time. Also since I am shooting them in a Redhawk I can put a cannlure lower on the bullet and seat them out more for more room.

My next thing with the .44 swage die is to make some heavy 300+ bullets out of longer 10mm brass.

Neal in AZ

Your on your way now! I tested my 44s up to that FPS as well with same powder. It was a while ago but I was plesed with the results. Your going to need a cannalure tool soon :) Mine is just sitting around. I could send it your way to try out see what you think. If you like it then we could talk $ in a PM.

Good shooting!

BT

BT Sniper
06-15-2010, 07:56 PM
The 40 S&W will make a good 300 grain bullet too. a bit of lead exsposed at tip. With a smaller HP or even flat point it would be less of course. No sense wasting the 10mm brass unless you need too. You don't know how many times us swagers has been told that one though :) but then again your looking at 300+ . Keep us posted.

BT

I'll get you a PM soon. Figure the tool is yours.

BOOM BOOM
07-27-2010, 07:49 PM
HI,
NOW THIS IS INTERESTING!
What would I need to get started doing this??????????
Would want to make a bullet wt. around 280Gr.
cast 250 gr. Kieth gc . would they work?????????

JonB_in_Glencoe
07-27-2010, 09:25 PM
BOOM BOOM,
this thread is a good place to start reading.
still down and relax, it'll take you a while :)
Jon
http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?t=72253

a.squibload
07-29-2010, 02:22 AM
... they were given to me because I was a known caster...

I'm only a "suspected" caster at the moment! Almost there.

Free cores, nice score! Good looking rounds there.
I was thinking lighter 40s and heavier 44s, let us know how it goes.

Edit: You guys keep me in mind if that cannelure tool needs a home.