PDA

View Full Version : Scout scope

tcrocker
06-13-2010, 09:26 PM
I'm toying with the ideal of putting a scout scope on my Marlin 1895 GS. I was wondering what is the differance between a scout scope and a pistol scope. I was thinking that a pistol scope might hold up better under recoil. Or would a red dot work good? Although with a red dot you got the battery thing to worry about. What have you guys done? [smilie=b:What would you do?

Piedmont
06-13-2010, 09:48 PM
Eye relief. The scout is intermediate eye relief, the pistol scope is long eye relief. I have used a 2x pistol scope for a scout, but a 4x I tried did not work because of the eye relief factor.

KYCaster
06-13-2010, 09:59 PM
The difference between a scout scope and a pistol scope???......about fifty bucks.

Seems to me when they call it a scout scope they charge you more for the "tacti-cool" name.

When you find the features you want (power, reticle, FOV, etc.) then eye relief is the only thing that makes it a "scout scope".

Red dots work very well because they have infinite eye relief and the single lens "reflex" style (Holosight, C-More, Dr. Sight) don't have as much stuff in the way to obstruct your view of the target.

Once you get used to it, it's very quick to get on target and doesn't give up anything in potential accuracy.

What's not to like??? :D

Jerry

MtGun44
06-13-2010, 10:20 PM
Eye relief on a real scout scope is set up for much shorter distance than a pistol scope.

I have done the 'pistol scope for a scout scope' trick a few times and if you are able to
take time to fiddle around with head postion, it can be OK. For real "scout scope performance",
go with a real scout scope. Very quick target acquisition with a real scout scope, OK but slower
and more difficult with a pistol scope, you are too close and it shows.

Bill

jh45gun
06-14-2010, 12:33 AM
That's odd I have a 2.5 X on my Swedish Mauser and a 4 X on my K 321 both pistol scopes with lighted reticules (got both used for a good price was not really looking for the lighted reticule it just happened that way though I do like them now that I have them) and I have not found any issues with either one both are clear and right there when I put my cheek on the stock.

Southern Son
06-14-2010, 03:28 AM
I wanted to put one on my 1894SS Marlin. When I rang the gunshop and ordered the scope, the salesman apparently did not know the difference between and extended eye releif and an intermediate eye releif. The scope they sent me is a Leupold FX2 and has been working great, however, it is not a real "scout scope", it is an extended eye relief scope. I wanted the scope mounted forward so that I could fit a peep sight and leave the peep sight on the rifle while I used the scope. Lucky, the FX2 has enough eye releif to do that (just).

helice
06-15-2010, 01:37 AM
I called up Weaver a number of years ago and they sent me tech specs on their scopes. The eye relief on their 2x just made it for my 444 Winchester Big Bore. The variables eye relief needed to be mounted too far forward. I bought the Weaver 2X and have no complaints about the scope or their customer service people. Give them a call. It was a good move for me. Helice

BABore
06-15-2010, 09:41 AM
On my Marlin 450M GG i started out with a Burris 2.75x scout scope in Warne low QD lever rings and a Ashley (now XS) scout mount. Perfect eye relief and fast. Terrible in the woods at low light with the 20mm objective combined with the eye's distance from the scope. I swapped it out with a Burris 2-7x32 pistol scope with BallistiPlex reticle. It just clears with the same low Warne rings. I mention this because a scout scope should be mounted as low as possible. The Burris pistol scope's eye relief is fine up through 4x. Above that and you have to inch your head a bit closer. Not a problem as I only use higher magnification for target work or something that is at long range where I have the time to fuss. Not all pistol scopes are equal in eye relief, so buyer beware. I've found the Burris BallistiPlex reticle to be the cats behind on the GG or any gun for that matter. Makes longer range hits easy.

GeneT
06-15-2010, 09:54 AM
I'd highly recommend the scout scope. I run the Leupy and it's the fastest rifle glass I've ever used.

GsT

Geraldo
06-15-2010, 11:48 AM
Actually I believe the difference between scout and pistol scopes is parallax, if that matters to you.

I had a Model 7 with a Burris 2.75x Scout scope, and a Savage Scout rifle with a 2x Leupold pistol scope. I didn't have any problems seeing or making hits with either one.

Artful
06-15-2010, 02:40 PM
I'm toying with the ideal of putting a scout scope on my Marlin 1895 GS. I was wondering what is the differance between a scout scope and a pistol scope. I was thinking that a pistol scope might hold up better under recoil. Or would a red dot work good? Although with a red dot you got the battery thing to worry about. What have you guys done? [smilie=b:What would you do?

You can use some lower powered pistol scopes as scout rifle scopes provided the eye relief matches your set up - recoil resistance with either should work with normal rifle rounds. Red Dot will work and you can get Trijicon which uses the natural light to power the red dot or it uses it Tritium capsule when dark - no batteries and no adjustment of brightness of dot/triangle/chevron.

I have tried scout concept on M38 Mosin Nagant, Mini-14, and Marlin Lever action - I have tried varous red dots on those platforms as well as AR's, HK's, FAL's.
I have used 1 1/2 to 5 variable, straight 2x, straight 2.5, straight 4x - lower magnification quick to find target - best choice variable 1 1/2x5 for me. It's nice when you don't have the scope over the action in that you get no scope bite from heavy recoilers.

The scout is quick with red dot - even quicker than with iron sights - with scope it's very fast almost the same as Iron sights - it's main advantage to me is with my older eye's I can't use iron sights as well as I used too. Trijicon is good under most condidtions - exception is when your in the shade shooting out into a bright area (from house to the tree line for example) you can use the provided polarizing filter to make the sight image dark so the dot/triangle/chevon shows up well but you then have to shoot with both eyes open. Pretty easy to keep extra set of batteries with you so don't let that be the main guide.

You can get the best of both by looking at magnified illuminated sights like the ACOG but not offered in scout eye relief unfortnately.

mike in co
06-15-2010, 11:29 PM
The difference between a scout scope and a pistol scope???......about fifty bucks.

Seems to me when they call it a scout scope they charge you more for the "tacti-cool" name.

When you find the features you want (power, reticle, FOV, etc.) then eye relief is the only thing that makes it a "scout scope".

Red dots work very well because they have infinite eye relief and the single lens "reflex" style (Holosight, C-More, Dr. Sight) don't have as much stuff in the way to obstruct your view of the target.

Once you get used to it, it's very quick to get on target and doesn't give up anything in potential accuracy.

What's not to like??? :D

Jerry

not......its all in the eye relief....pistol sucks in most applications....
most scout are only 2x.......
what sucks is the only company that makes a 2-7 scout is NcStar......

mike in co

jh45gun
06-15-2010, 11:51 PM
Like I said Mike:

That's odd I have a 2.5 X on my Swedish Mauser and a 4 X on my K 321 both pistol scopes with lighted reticules (got both used for a good price was not really looking for the lighted reticule it just happened that way though I do like them now that I have them) and I have not found any issues with either one both are clear and right there when I put my cheek on the stock.

I have never had a dedicated "scout" scope and my pistol scopes work fine even the 4 x one on my K31.

I would suspect that when Cooper came up with is Scout Idea he used pistol scopes at first since the "Scout" Concept was reborn from the old idea of the forward mounted German Sniper Scopes and the scope mounted forward on Winchester Lever guns.

Phillip
06-16-2010, 12:30 AM
Hi-Lux/Letherwood make a 2-7 Scout Scope that has 32mm objective lens.

http://www.hi-luxoptics.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=47&Itemid=56

A few people I have asked, says its pretty good for the price. I am mainly looking at one for a savage scout rifle, but is should work fine on a leaver gun.

Larry Gibson
06-16-2010, 04:25 PM
I've been using scout scoped rifles since the early '80s and have become quite fond of them. I use them on bolt actions, lever actions and semi autos. Cooper used the original Leupold intermediate eye relief scope not a pistol scope. The Leupold (M8 I believe) was out of production but Leupold and Burris both then introduced true scout intermediate eye relief scopes. As mentioned by several others here, the scout scope must be mounted low and in the correct position. Pistol scopes can work but most often they need to be too far out on the barrel most often. Most are used with poor mounts that replace a rear sight on a milsurp. Thus they are too high and to far forward. That can be "ok" but if you want to see the real benifits of a scout rifle then one with a proper scout scope that is properly mounted should be tried. The difference will be like night and day.

Larry Gibson