PDA

View Full Version : Range Lead Find!

Jal5
06-13-2010, 05:51 PM
I checked our local public range this week and was surprised that there wasn't more readily available lead after a heavy rain, but I did pick up some. Today I checked the berm at my club, and while I cannot dig up the berm there I did pick up two boxes halfway full of just the lead on the surface. Amazing, I am surprised nobody ever did that before me. But today was a slow day at our club, I was there about 3 hrs. and didn't see another person until I was leaving. Normally the berm isn't so available for inspection and picking :mrgreen:
Haven't weighed the boxes yet but my back sure can feel it from bending to pickup bullets.
Joe

lwknight
06-14-2010, 01:40 AM
That reminds me that the berm on my club range is ripe for harvest.
Big ol slugs just laying around everywhere.
I just gotta remember to work that into my doins.

gunsablazin
06-14-2010, 10:49 AM
I "surface mine" the club I belong to, never seen but one other guy doing so. I go early on sunday morning and quit before anyone else shows up, no point creating competition for free lead! I can usually pick up 20-30 lbs. in and hour and a half or so.:lovebooli

sargenv
06-14-2010, 12:26 PM
our backstops are sand... and after a good rain the "rocks" on the surface is spent bullets just ripe for the pickens.. and that's what I do every chance I get.. I've recovered several hundred pounds this way.. depending on who has been shooting lately the melt comes out to between 8 and 14 bhn.. I add a few ingots of the range lead to my WW's to stretch it out a bit. Works pretty good.

johnlaw484
06-15-2010, 02:03 AM
You guys talk too much! Disclosing lead sources is like telling your fishing hole. THERE ARE SOME THING YOU JUST DON'T DO!

Milltown353
06-15-2010, 01:32 PM
I feel bad for you guys, I've got a range bank that has atleast 10 years worth of lead for the harvesting. Haven't got the ambition to go dig it yet though.

DukeInFlorida
06-16-2010, 07:52 AM
My damn club has just approved $40,000 to have a hazmat company come in with space suits on, to remove the lead from the berms. They won't allow digging, or even surface picking the lead. I think too damn many lawyers in the group.

$40,000! To pay someone to remove the bullets from the berm!

(I've obviously already volunteered to do it for free, but they want it "done right"..........

As Yosemite Sam once said, "Stoopid Idjuts!"

zuke
06-16-2010, 10:20 AM
Sound's to me with that kinda thinking it wont be long till they stop people using lead for bullet's.....
If they think it's that bad, oh oh