PDA

View Full Version : 38 cal wadcutter mold

ryan richards
06-13-2010, 01:59 PM
Hi Guys,

I am planning to buy a 6 cavity mold in 38 cal. wadcutter from Lee.

Lee has two: 1) TL358-148-WC and 2) 358-148-WC .

Why Two? Is one design better than the other? How do they cast?

Sincerely,

06-13-2010, 02:03 PM
I can't speak to how they cast as i don't have either one. But the TL stands for Tumble LUbe
http://shop.bigmikescastbullets.com/images/1252123342645-627789903.jpeg
Characterized by smaller more frequent grooves. to use the TL you don't need a Lubrisizer you instead use a press mounted die to size (if that is at all needed) and apply lube in some sort of plastic tub. (boolits + lube + shake the tub = done)

The TL is easier i think to use and cheaper to get started in casting. I personally am going to aquire the TL 6 banger since it seems easier and for target shooting i'm not all that worried about leading since you don't usually hot rod a WC.

Hope that helps.

mdi
06-13-2010, 02:05 PM
Did you look at the boolits? Different styles. One is TL and the other is standard lube grooves.

Buckshot
06-14-2010, 03:11 AM
..........If you're going to be using the WC boolit in a target type situation like 2.7 grs of Bullseye (or whatever flavor you favor) for the common 700 ish FPS type loads, I really don't believe one design has much to offer over another design. The Lee TL designs are intended to give you a good useable boolit requiring the least amount of fuss, bother, and time going from casting to shooting.

For bullseye shooting a softer lube seems to work best, and not too much of it. Too much lube can spoil accuracy and turn your pistol into a filthy mess. I really believe that for top notch results boolit quality takes precedence over any particular design. I have both of those Lee designs and in my K38 the TL design does well, and I have several hundred rounds loaded. On the other hand I kind of prefer the non-TL 148gr Lee merely because it has a crimp groove, and all things being equal in MY revolver it seems to me to be just a bit more accurate.

..............Buckshot

Charlie Two Tracks
06-14-2010, 06:44 AM
I have the 2 cavity WC mould. Wished I would have gotten the six cavity. More production and better mould design. I works though.

StrawHat
06-14-2010, 07:09 AM
My preference is for the traditional design. I used the Lee molds for several years while shooting PPC competition. I cast many thousands of boolits until time became an issue and I succumbed to buying my boolits. The design with lube grooves is a very accurate boolit from my guns.

Shiloh
06-16-2010, 07:09 PM
I have a six banger LEE 148gr TLWC. I love it. A mountain of boolits in a session. A couple of hours at the lead pot and I shoot all year. THe convenience of the TL boolits can't be beat.

SHiloh