PDA

View Full Version : tales of .50-70s and rolling blocks

Otony
06-13-2010, 11:24 AM
Years ago I ordered myself a Shiloh Business Rifle in .50-70 (and yes, I know that is not a rolling block).

It was a terrific rifle, and shot quite well even with my crude handloads. Home cast boolits poured into a Lee mould from lead melted in a pot over a propane stove...outside. Dixie cases packed full of black powder and slighty compressed with a wad punched from cereal boxes. The boolits were hand lubed with TC Bore Butter. Like I said, crude but it was actually my first foray into casting boolits AND loading with BP, although I had been shooting muzzleloaders for years prior to that adventure.

We have all heard that old saw about "too much of a good thing", right? Well, that was my Business Rifle. Excellent as it was, it was too much rifle weight wise for a young fellow 5'7" tall who scaled in at about 150 pounds at the time. The less said about my current tonnage the better at this point, but suffice to say I have increased my mass by about 1/3. :oops:

Anyway, I got it into my feverish little brain that I should send the rifle back to Shiloh to be transformed into a Civilian Carbine. And before long, my heavy rifle became a short and light carbine. It shot just as well as before (thank goodness!) and was the star of my small collection.

We all know that when the "fever" strikes a fellow can go blind to his actual wants and needs, and so it happened with me. Somewhere along the line a friend waved a .357 Ruger Flattop in my face along with quite a bit of cash and the Sharps just disappeared. Literally disappeared, as when I recovered my senses a few days later and tried to buy it back from him, it had already been sold at a gun show to fund a "fever" of his own. We get so soon old and so late smart as my great-aunt Francis was fond of telling me, sigh. :roll:

Over the years I have kept my eyes open for another .50-70 carbine, but even though my parents were both from Sicily, I seem to have a Scotchman's purse. Unless I could find a bargain I didn't want to invest a large sum into a niche rifle.

Patience guys, the gist has arrived. A few days ago I located a Pedersoli rolling block carbine in .45-70 sporting an octagon to round barrel. Nothing unique, just your standard Italian rolling block but it has, as we all probably know, the rather heavy barrels which Pedersoli sees fit to install. The saving grace with this one is the transistion to round from octagon which knocks a fair amount of weight off.

Still not a .45-70 you say? Well, perhaps not now but it is due for a visit to Jesse Ocumpaugh in Cottage Grove, Or for a rebore to, you guessed it, .50-70 Gummint! The best part is that opening the bore to .50 should make it that much livelier to boot. Oh, and the second best part is that I will have less than 700 bucks tied up in the deal, a reasonable enough price in this day and age to bring a smile to any good Scot, and even a 2nd hand Sicilian!

Guess I need to order another set of Lyman dies and a few Lee moulds. Anyone know if Dixie still offers .50-70 brass? :razz:

LAH
06-13-2010, 02:13 PM
Dixie may very well have you dies. The 50/70 always interests me so when you get this project up & shooting please give a full report.............Creeker

Dry Creek Bullet Works
Dry Creek Firewood

Otony
06-13-2010, 04:05 PM
It appears that Starline brass is a better buy than what Dixie offers by a considerable margin. I am going to wait until I receive the RB back from Jess to start picking up brass though, don't want to get too far ahead of myself.

I seem to be on a bigger bore kick of late. Picked up a CZ Coach Gun, 12ga with 20" barrels to work up some roundball loads. Also picked up an H&R Ultra Light slug Gun in 20ga so I can shoot slug loads in our shotgun only areas. I guess the Pedersoli makes for three "biggies", all in the space of two months. Whew!

NickSS
06-13-2010, 04:38 PM
I know what you mean but I have no scotch in me so when I visited C Sharps three years ago, I spotted a Sharps 1874 Hunters carbine (26 inch light 50-70 barrel that I just had to leave with. So out came the plastic and my new rifle went home with me. Starline brass works well and I have used it a lot in the last three years. Lots of fun tossing those thumb sized bullets down range.

StrawHat
06-14-2010, 06:57 AM
... even with my crude handloads. Home cast boolits poured into a Lee mould from lead melted in a pot over a propane stove...outside. Dixie cases packed full of black powder and slighty compressed with a wad punched from cereal boxes. The boolits were hand lubed with TC Bore Butter...

Otony, Your method of reloading is very much like my own. I load for a 50-70 trapdoor and try to keep things simple.

... Pedersoli rolling block carbine in .45-70 sporting an octagon to round barrel...

I have a short barreled 45-70 Pedersoli RB, currently waiting to be rebarreleld to 50-70. It should be a good bit of fun when complete.

Starline brass is very good. I use the Lee 515-450F and the Lyman 515141 molds for the 50-70. I like them both. Good luck with your project and keep us informed.

Otony
06-14-2010, 10:51 AM
Jess will rebore your RB to .50-70 for $225, which is a right bargain these days. Since I picked up my Pedersoli for $350 shipped, I am going to come in at about $620 or so once you take shipping from me to Jess and back into consideration.

Unless you want a different length barrel or a different profile, I would seriously consider giving him a shot.

I found Lyman dies last night for around 43 bucks, so I guess my estimate of less than $700 still holds true. Much as I would have liked to pick up some of the Dixie brass for old time sake, the price and probably quality of the Starline stuff is a clear winner.

StrawHat
06-15-2010, 06:56 AM
...Unless you want a different length barrel or a different profile, I would seriously consider giving him a shot...

Thanks for the info, the current barrel is 18 1/8" long and about 1 1/4 across the flats, not my cup of tea! The replacement I have on hand will finish at 26 inches, round and much lighter.

For possible future work, do you have contact info for Jesse?

Thanks

Otony
06-15-2010, 09:48 AM
http://35caliber.com/2.html will get you there. A bit slim on information but he will answer a call with inqueries......

bob208
06-15-2010, 04:08 PM
i have a 72 sprinfield rolling block rifle in 50-70 have shot it a lot. won some matches with it. i also have a garet arms 50-70 sharps carbine. it also shoots good. slaps down a deer nice.

for brass i got 3 boxes of dixie with the sharps. then bought 5 more. still using it and that was 20 years ago.

i load with 1f and use the layman mold.

rockrat
06-16-2010, 08:42 AM
Jesse rebored a 45-70 Pedersoli Sharps clone to 50 AK. Shoots better than I can see. When I launch a 750gr slug downrange at our gongs, it gets peoples attention when it hits!!

Otony
06-16-2010, 11:17 AM
Jesse rebored a 45-70 Pedersoli Sharps clone to 50 AK. Shoots better than I can see. When I launch a 750gr slug downrange at our gongs, it gets peoples attention when it hits!!

Hey rockrat! I was talking to Jesse yesterday about this rebore job and he mentioned your gun in particular! We were discussing barrel steels and whatnot, and I inquired if he had rebored anything by Pedersoli. Said it turned out fine, and it obviously did from your report.

I don't need all the horsepower of a .50 Alaskan so the .50-70 will do me just fine. My intention is to use only Holy Black and cast boolits. But I sure bet your Sharps is a killer, maybe at both ends too!