PDA

View Full Version : Learned a lot at the gun show today

Thumbcocker
06-12-2010, 07:18 PM
Just wanted to share some of the valuable things I learned at the gunshow today.

1.) The entire military production capacity of Germany and Japan during World War II was devoted to making "rare varients" of their standard infantry arms.

2.) The Greman armys chronic shortage of sidearms is apparently explainable by most of their production winding up in the midwest.

3.) Every Smith and Wesson revolver made between 1969 and 2005 is a rare collectible. (i.e. $1100 for a 24-3 with box and papers)

4.) Most of the Smith and Wesson .44 special production is in the hands of collectors of "rare" models.

5.) What are gas checks anyway?

6.) Tactical precision boxer shorts are the next big thing.

7.) Those of us who shoot and make boolits are getting old.

frankenfab
06-12-2010, 07:20 PM
[smilie=l:[smilie=l:[smilie=l:

Longrange
06-12-2010, 07:59 PM
I must be an ancient collector then.

[smilie=s:

jaguarxk120
06-12-2010, 08:09 PM
If it's black, plastic/cordura/balistic nylon/rubberized/folding stock then it's tackyitail

fryboy
06-12-2010, 08:14 PM
i learned that they can bacon ( and it's actually edible and not to bad - for bacon anyways messy as heck but ....)and call it tactical bacon .....ok ok so i didnt just recently learn it but i did learn it at a gunshow lolz

akajun
06-12-2010, 08:21 PM
I learned that every gun I own is only worth about $100. But the good news is my Rockola Carbine is worth about $200.

jaguarxk120
06-12-2010, 08:26 PM
The $100 is that trade in value, or is it resale tag?

Many of the dealers will offer only pennys on the dollar to buy/trade in, but when it comes to reselling that rare limited edition they want big bucks for it.

LewR
06-12-2010, 08:30 PM
Back when, "Depends" is what your girlfriend said to you... Now its what I think I just wet from laughing at your gun show discoveries.

buckbeans
06-12-2010, 09:07 PM
Did well today in Tucson
Positive Things
No charge for parking

entry Fee only six buck and good for two days

If they can't figure out what it was for, they gave it to you for free. Including a three pound lump of beeswax, a complete set of lee trimming holders for 15 calibers, a lee 311 and 314 bullet sizing die,

15 buckbucks for a bushnell spotting scope

remington large pistol and large rifle primers down to 22 dollars a 1000..
two nickel smiths 44 special hand ejectors at 650 each starting price.. I know.... I already have the boys lined up to kick me in the in the butt for not grabbing them.

pristine dan wesson barrel and shroud for a 45 colt for a hundred.... could have gone lower but have been looking for one for a long time and had to go...

Le Loup Solitaire
06-12-2010, 09:19 PM
Is that its becoming a waste of time to go to one. Increased admission and its going up. Gone are the deals, the finds, and the practice of dealing square. To be found aplenty are runaway prices for anything serious, prices on new firearms that are equal to, or more than what can be found in a store, crafts, jewelry and exotic birdhouses, silly clothing with which to play swat or ninja and offers of $20. for the crown jewels of England or an even trade for a Chinese copy of a Red Ryder BB gun. If you are still a believer then by all means continue to enjoy. LLS

buckbeans
06-12-2010, 09:25 PM
this is the first gun show I have been to in six month and the crowds and prices were impossible...
I did put those crown jewels back thinking they were a little high

Lead Fred
06-12-2010, 09:44 PM
6.) Tactical precision boxer shorts are the next big thing.

The only time underwear should be precision is her has been relieved of them.

nicholst55
06-12-2010, 10:40 PM
The $100 is that trade in value, or is it resale tag?

Many of the dealers will offer only pennys on the dollar to buy/trade in, but when it comes to reselling that rare limited edition they want big bucks for it.

Reminds me of the sign I saw hanging in an antiques store:

We Buy Old Junk and Sell Valuable Antiques. :groner:

RayinNH
06-13-2010, 11:45 AM
Sounds like a lot of the shows around here. Boolit molds when they can be found are beat or cast a round ball.Used reloading equipment at near retail prices. Every third table filled with chinese knives or "tactical flashlights". That stuff filled in with an occasional table of "rare guns" and other overpriced goods. Seven bucks to boot to get in...Ray

mtgrs737
06-13-2010, 12:06 PM
We are pretty lucky here in Kansas, mose guns are "reasonable" for those who buy their ammo it is the only place to get it. Retail stores except for the limited offerings at China Mart are made of pure gold or so they must think.

higgins
06-13-2010, 12:50 PM
I recently learned at a show that the two beater No.4 Lee Enfields a guy had on his table were formerly sniper rifles. It seems that what I had always assumed was a gas relief port on the left side of the receiver ring was really where the scope screwed on. And these two were only about $50 more than a nice No.4 should cost (that would also have the scope mount screw hole)!

3006guns
06-13-2010, 01:14 PM
The last show I went to, the guy had a Japanese bayonet sitting on the table with a price that literally made me choke (well over $100). I asked him about it and was told that it was a rare 'sniper' variation...

Really? I informed him that I had a 5 gallon bucket full in my closet........would he care to buy them? Cold stare..........

Same guy had a late type 99, literally thrashed..........$450.00 for a gun you could have gotten for $50 not too many years ago.

If there's one thing I've learned after attending many gun shows over the years, it's that the current crowd of dealers is actually quite ignorant and very greedy. It cracks me up when I hear them whining towards the end of the show that "nobody's got any money". No, but they've got common sense.

dk17hmr
06-13-2010, 01:26 PM
There is a gun show in town this weekend, I went yesterday and picked up some much needed powder for $20 a pound.....I ussally buy from the same guy everytime the show is in town, I guess he remembers me because he asked how such and such powder worked out for me in my AR.

I traded a NEF 450 Marlin for a Savage 204 Ruger a couple months ago, I still see tha 450 at the gunshow with a price tag of $400.....more than the Savage's price tag when we made the trade.

Springfield
06-13-2010, 01:45 PM
Well, on the average cast boolit guys are getting older, but also a LOT wiser. That's why we cast instead of wasting our time buying tactical underwear!

Suo Gan
06-13-2010, 01:53 PM
Based on the local gun show that runs every other month here, gun folks must also collect antique flower frogs, miscellaneous shabby shiq furniture, towels, and Kirby Vacuum Cleaners...Did find 100 new Norma 7.62x54R cases for $15 though. Kind of like life I guess.

toddrod
06-13-2010, 02:05 PM
The gun shows here in Lousiana just plan suck. Hi Points galore and every table has the same Glocks, XDs and M&Ps all at the same price. I only go now if I absolutely can not find anything else to do.

Lee
06-13-2010, 02:26 PM
Tactical underwear...probably already has the brown and green tints worked into the fabric. Saves ya the time of doing it yourself:razz:

Crash_Corrigan
06-13-2010, 03:06 PM
I went there last year......$13 admission fee plus $3 parking. The parking is a joke. Ya pay and get nothing other than a place to park. There is absolutely not a mite of security on the lot. The rules posted on the outside of the building prohibit the carrying of a concealed weapon period. So the dummies who go to the show walk up to the door....read the sign...walk back to the car/truck/SUV or whatever and stash the handgun in the car. The BG's sitting across the street on a rooftop with a spotting scope watch the dummies walk back to their car etc and target those cars for future deployments.

Rest assured when you get back to your vehicle your handgun will be gone!

Then when you get inside prepare to be trampled by the great unwashed Couch Commandos/Rambos/Wannabees etc. Overpriced junk for the most part unless you want AR 15 parts. There are acres of tables of stuff in the genre.

Bargains.......custom ear plugs...good deal and I have a pair...they really work and are only about $50. Steel reactive target makers on site...a bit pricy but actually are pretty good.......Custom leather worked from Boulder City....Cotanza is his name and make a quality product......

The rest is pretty much the normal crapola made in China, Taiwan, Indonesia and other 3rd world countries in the normal presentations.......primers may be more available now but who wants to pay $35 per K or more for them?

A total waste of time for most people unless you are a people watcher....lotsa beer bellies and nasty tat's. Very few cuties in tight camo shorts.....every 3rd guy there served in Vietnam in SOG but they can't tell you about it.

A table full of Garands and 03's...but they are all rare variants on a sniper theme and are priced accordingly........no inexpensive 8 x 57 bolt guns at all.....everything is rare and collectible and expensive........a few decent revolvers and priced way above blue book value......one guy did have a Garand strapped to his back which he was trying to sell.....I pulled it apart and found the weld seam inside the receiver and I passed on it......he wanted $700....as I recall they did not usually weld the inside of the receiver unless it was demilled?

Everything is tactiycool and camo'd.............

Storydude
06-13-2010, 03:13 PM
I love seeing the rifle I just sold to a dealer for 200 bucks have a 550 price tag on it not 20 min. later.

I also love seeing the SAME guy that fondled the fun for 30 min before walking away at my 250 price carrying it out 3 hours later. these are the guys I ask "Hay, is the SN of that gun XXXXXXXX?" "Yea, whatsittoya?"

"Oh nothing...Just you handled that same gun I was carrying not 3 hours before...and you didn't want it at 250..What did you pay if you don't mind me asking.."

"Incoherent mumbling and ashen look...."

LMAO.

dk17hmr
06-13-2010, 03:46 PM
One thing I learned yesterday....if you want to sell raffle tickets for anything get a couple good looking college girls put them in low cut shirts and short skirts and get them a table, with a sign saying "raffle tickets for such and such $10"......they will run out of tickets in no time...the girls just have to put up with all the creepy old guys flirting with them.

Texasflyboy
06-13-2010, 03:49 PM
My .02...

I think (and again its just my personal opinion) that gunshows are a dying breed. They pre-date the rise of Internet selling, which is clearly more advantageous to the buyer than the seller.

Gunshows started as a way to get together buyers and sellers of a unique item. No different than the premise of other shows (flea markets, home shows, furniture shows. etc...etc...). People were eager to deal during the show because the clock was ticking. If you didn't make a deal during the show, it could be months before you had another opportunity.

Not so anymore. Any deal you pass up at a gunshow can be found minutes later on the Internet by a dedicated search.

The last firearm I purchased at a gunshow was in 1997. The last firearm I purchased was about 4 days ago from a Gun Broker auction. I decided I wanted another pistol of the same style and design that I already owned. I searched Gun Broker, Auction Arms and Guns America and found exactly what I was looking for in about 30 minutes.

Because of the current job I have (coming to an end soon I hope) I have had the opportunity to attend gunshows in Texas, North Carolina, Utah, Nevada, Ohio, Florida, Georgia, Louisiana, and a few other states since 2004. All were pretty much the same. Not one deal where I thought I could do better on the Internet. And I am not talking about $5 or 50$ cheaper, I mean a few hundred cheaper, better condition, and more exactly what I want rather than having to compromise

So, as other folks have said, the Internet is the 24/7 gunshow. The other "gunshow" is a place to buy jerky, jewerlry, and Adolf Hitler's personally owned Mauser Rifle in .247 Smoot Improved caliber.

I honestly don't know why I still go to gunshows other than habit.

If I were a dealer (and I am not) I would rather have a killer website with incredible photography (few do) rather than spend time and money on setting up at a gunshow.

Thumbcocker
06-13-2010, 04:28 PM
the girls just have to put up with all the creepy old guys flirting with them.

I haven't learned just when I became a creepy old guy. I did learn a while ago that I have the gift of invisibility. All I have to do is smile at a pretty woman and poof! I disappear.

old turtle
06-13-2010, 04:40 PM
I learned from attending gun shows was that the Germans lost the war because they had all their assets tied up making daggers.

Three-Fifty-Seven
06-13-2010, 04:44 PM
I went there last year......$13 admission fee plus $3 parking. The parking is a joke. Ya pay and get nothing other than a place to park. There is absolutely not a mite of security on the lot. The rules posted on the outside of the building prohibit the carrying of a concealed weapon period. So the dummies who go to the show walk up to the door....read the sign...walk back to the car/truck/SUV or whatever and stash the handgun in the car. The BG's sitting across the street on a rooftop with a spotting scope watch the dummies walk back to their car etc and target those cars for future deployments.

Rest assured when you get back to your vehicle your handgun will be gone!

That is one reason I don't go . . . I have a policy, if my gun is not welcome . . . I'll go spend my money elsewhere! (And that means being forced to unload my gun, and tying it shut!)

I can get my stuff online, easier, and less hassle, I eat good food at home, none of that hot dog on a flattened bun stuff!

I do go to a few gun shops, they need to eat, but don't expect me to make the next few rent payments for them!

Lee
06-13-2010, 05:54 PM
Yup. "350 tables" doesn't mean squat when 335 of 'em have carnival glass, Chinee sweat bands, and Ninja lighters spread across the table. Pure junk. As someone mentioned above, I guess I still keep going out of habit. Not because I've found a real bargain there......................Lee

xr650
06-13-2010, 06:46 PM
I picked up a 5 lb. jug of Trail Boss for $88.00 today. No 350 primers though.

One thing I learned yesterday....if you want to sell raffle tickets for anything get a couple good looking college girls put them in low cut shirts and short skirts and get them a table, with a sign saying "raffle tickets for such and such $10"......they will run out of tickets in no time...the girls just have to put up with all the creepy old guys flirting with them.

One creepy old guy listened to their schpeil for 2 seconds. said "No Thanks" and walked on, while the one was still talking. Maybe a lack of social graces?:-)

Potsy
06-13-2010, 07:03 PM
Last one I went to here was pretty good. They try to keep all the chinese duffell bags/backpacks/survival knives contained to one aisle.
Some guns priced pretty reasonable, some utterly insane.
I've found a couple dealers around who don't act like my trades are junk. Kinda hit a point where if I don't think I'll have it for life, or close to it, I'm probably not buying it.
I did see a $600 sporterized '98 Krag in KY at a shop a while back and told him I'd sell him mine for that all day and mine was in much better shape. No takers. That must've been T.R.'s personal sniper rifle at San Juan hill.

06-13-2010, 07:08 PM
Worst
I recently went to a gun show got told that the service six i was carrying around wasn't reliable (i needed grips wasn't selling) the guy told me it wasn't worth anything but that he would take it off my hands since he knew how to deal wtih rugers. I politely said no thanks
Best
On a lonely table in the back an old guy was selling single cavity molds for 10$ a pop, he was delighted to meet another caster and cut me a deal on all of them. They were in calibers that i don't shoot but my buddies do so i passed on the good deal. He was the best guy i've seen at a gun show ever.

AZ-Stew
06-13-2010, 07:52 PM
I have a collection or Remington M-788s. Not all calibers or variants, but I have some of the rarer ones, i.e. .30-30 and .44 magnum. I'm still missing two, the 7mm-08 and the .308. I want to get one in each caliber, so I keep looking for those two. I've bought most of them at gun shows. Haven't seen any decent ones in 5-10 years.

I saw one sitting on a table at a show several years ago in .223, but someone had bastardized the stock and cut the factory 24 inch barrel down to 20 or 18 inches. I mentioned to the exhibitor at the table that it was too bad someone had cut down the barrel. He told me it came from the factory that way. I told him it should have a 24 inch barrel. He pulled out his "blue book" and pointed to the page, saying, "See. The book says 788s had 18 - 24 inch barrels." I told him that yes, some M-788s came with 18 inch barrels, depending on caliber, but not the .223s. They were all made with 24 inch barrels. He wouldn't listen, so I walked off. Those damned experts are SO hard to deal with. I don't remember what he wanted for it, but it was more than one in good, factory original condition should sell for. His was customized junk. I wonder what he paid for it.

Regards,

Stew

tepeecreeper
06-14-2010, 11:16 PM
Do the tactial undergarments come in GRANNIE panty size. Grampa said Grandma cut him off,so he would have use different tactic's.

dualsport
06-15-2010, 01:05 AM
Those tactical chonies sound like the berries to me. I want something stain resistant, like that carpet you see on tv. Fire resistant would be good too.

azrednek
06-15-2010, 01:21 AM
My biggest gripe with gun show vendors is the line they often use when negotiating a price, "do you know what these are going for on Ebay or Gunbroker".

At a recent gunshow I learned that a K98 with a cut down or sportorized issue stock is actually a rare "Officer's Model". Heard a similar line of BS years ago only that one was a specially built with the shortened stock for the Gestapo. I don't mind somebody trying their best to sell their merchandise but I really hate having my intelligence insulted.

Southern Son
06-15-2010, 04:12 AM
Just wanted to share some of the valuable things I learned at the gunshow today.

1.) The entire military production capacity of Germany and Japan during World War II was devoted to making "rare varients" of their standard infantry arms.

2.) The Greman armys chronic shortage of sidearms is apparently explainable by most of their production winding up in the midwest.

I got the impression from the last gun show I went to (Redbank in Brisbane) that the reason the Germans and the Japanese were struggling to get guns and bullets to their troops is because they were busy making Officer's Daggers, Hitler Youth Knives and Swords. You may not know, but apparently there were about 1,000,000,000,000 officers in the SS. Apparently, they all hid their knives at the end of the war in Brisbane.

Geraldo
06-15-2010, 08:57 AM
You may not know, but apparently there were about 1,000,000,000,000 officers in the SS. Apparently, they all hid their knives at the end of the war in Brisbane.

True, and every other rifleman in the US Army was a sniper, which accounts for the high percentage of M1 and '03 sniper rifles.

BD
06-15-2010, 09:14 AM
The only really good gun show I've been to in the last ten years is the fall show at the fairgrounds in Syracuse, NY. Lots of really old stuff so it's a great show for looking, not so great for buying guns, but great for buying parts for older guns. No crapola dealers allowed.
BD

Farmall 1066
06-16-2010, 12:00 AM
What I have learned:

Everything I have is junk, and undesireable, everything for sale is in top shape, hard to find and worth a lot!

You can be held liable if a private sale gun blows up....so the best way to protect myself would be to sell that Nazi marked P-38 to a dealer for $200.

I am expected to overlook any fault or defect in any merchandise offered for sale.

Blue book is just a guide, if it indicates pricing in my favor. It is carved in stone if I'm buying.

BSA scopes are just as good as a Nightforce.

It is apparently good economic sense to haul the same stuff to the same shows every year, and hold out for the same unrealistic prices, than to sell it for a decent price.

Been this way for years, and I still keep going....I like the time spent with friends, and the good times we have. More of a social occasion for us.

Andy

rockrat
06-16-2010, 08:33 AM
Yup, but every now and then, a jewel falls in your lap, thats why I still go

06-16-2010, 08:40 AM
I got to find the sad single cavity mold sitting in the "junk" pile on people's tables.

mike in co
06-16-2010, 09:35 AM
i'm just back from the crossroads show at cashman center.

the no loaded gun(concealed or otherwise ) is an insurance issue with the building owner/promoter.....learn to deal with it.....they are not antiugn......there is also a no loose ammo rule..it must all be packaged.

close to 800 tables.

mostly a bust for me......i did find a single dealer selling wolf small pistol and large pistol primers at less than my distributor...so i bought.

sold 2 sks's to a dealer for my full asking price.

i missed an fr8 that i had spent about 5yrs searching for and a very nice 7mm mauser....both priced well.

you think paying for parking sucks( its 4 bucks now)...once i pay $100 for the table, i get to pay the city another $10 for the priviledge of selling in thier city, and still have to pay for parking!

fishnbob
06-16-2010, 12:10 PM
I too still attend the rip off gun shows just hoping for a find that never happens. I buy most of my reloading components there since it is usually about the same price as mail order, without the cost of shipping & hazmat. But by the time I drive there, 2 1/2 hrs both ways and pay for parking and food, I can only say, "well I got it in hand." I have tried to sell guns there and no one wants to look at them, won't even talk trade. But if I pick up one of theirs, I get the old "I can get more than that in northern Virginia next week." Bull S--T.
I too like the expertise of the sellers and I am amazed at their vast knowledge.

KCSO
06-16-2010, 12:23 PM
finally figured this tactical stuff out. I have a 40 S and W TACTICAL that I use on occasion, mostly when I want a light gun with less recoil than my 45. When my uncle arthur calls I need less recoil for long shooting sessions, gettin old I guess.

Any way I was getting ready to clean the gun yesterday. I had it empty and the slide locked back when it slipped off the desk and I grabbed it just as it hit my lap. Well I tripped the slide release just as it landed and the slide slammed home... and bit me on the left tactical.

I think I am going to see about a non tactical model.

EMC45
06-16-2010, 01:35 PM
Gunshows in mid GA are Cr@P!!! They are nothing but a bunch of junk dealers and they think their guns are worth way more than they actually are. And I too have heard the dealers gripe about a "bunch of broke locals" when they are cleaning up on Sunday evening. Price accordingly and maybe you will sell some guns! Oh yeah it is 2-3 bucks to park and 8 bucks to get in. Used to give Military or police discount, but not anymore. I have seen one elderly man at the shows locally and everytime I see him he goes into this big schpiel about how this is his last gunshow and to make him a deal on everything on his table (which is the same every show). Then I would see him at the next one. And the next one.....From an outsider's viewpoint "us" "gun people" look pretty shady and like hucksters. I have sworn off gunshows...

Three-Fifty-Seven
06-16-2010, 01:39 PM
the no loaded gun(concealed or otherwise ) is an insurance issue with the building owner/promoter.....learn to deal with it.....they are not antiugn......there is also a no loose ammo rule..it must all be packaged.

close to 800 tables.

mostly a bust for me......

This how I deal with it . . . I don't go . . .

These are "print your own business cards" from AZ- CDL:
http://i153.photobucket.com/albums/s220/ShawnTVT/Guns/RCBS270-150SP4.jpg

:bigsmyl2:

If my gun is not welcome . . . they can get their money from someone else . . .

[smilie=s:

82nd airborne
06-16-2010, 10:35 PM
i have found that gun shows are a terrific place to buy cheap belt buckls and chinese knives, garunteed to last the rest of your....day.

mike in co
06-16-2010, 11:09 PM
This how I deal with it . . . I don't go . . .

These are "print your own business cards" from AZ- CDL:
http://i153.photobucket.com/albums/s220/ShawnTVT/Guns/RCBS270-150SP4.jpg

:bigsmyl2:

If my gun is not welcome . . . they can get their money from someone else . . .

[smilie=s:

soo what part of read my lips did not get thru ???

the promoters at most shows are controlled by legal agreements..which include insurance....and loaded gun restrictions...if they owned the property like a gun store it might be different. its a short term rent....with lots of controls.

yes the lawyers have got thier teeth into it..but mainly due to stupid gun handling.

nice attitude...none of the indoor ranges allow loaded guns till on the firing line. the one gun shop i frequent does not allow loaded weapons in the door.

i bought a complete lower with 6 postion stock and firing group...for 90 bucks in the last 2 weeks at a gun show.
i have bought 2 sks's in primo condition for $150 each in the last 2 weeks.

i bought a new 7.62x39 ar bbl for $100

dont tell me there are no bargins out there...........

Three-Fifty-Seven
06-17-2010, 07:53 AM
Mike,

I understand the lawyer thing . . . along with the insurance stuff, I just refuse to be part of it. For instance there is a gun shop in Tucson, (2nd Amendment on Pima) that has a good selection of everything I need, but there is a school right across the road, and with the silly 1000' rule in place . . . I have found a different place to shop. I was in Tombstone, with some friends last summer, we went into a restaurant that I had called ahead to see about their gun policy, and when we got there, it had changed! I walked out, lots of other places to eat!

I have a good old gravel pit to shoot in, I'm usually the only one there! I've never been to an indoor range . . . lots of fresh air around here!

I'm glad you feel comfortable to be dis-armed to be able to buy things at a "deal" I do not, you and I have had this conversation before . . . however, if everybody continues to just give up their rights to carry guns, because we can "get a deal" it will only get worse I believe.

I also understand that I live in a state that is more gun friendly than some others . . .

I never said there weren't deals to be found . . . I just quoted you as saying it "was a bust"

[smilie=s:

1Shirt
06-17-2010, 08:18 AM
Am always amazed at gun shows at how little I know about guns and ammo with my 71 years of shooting and reloading, and how much that 23 year old dealer and his wife know about all aspects of shooting, reloading, collecting, burning rates of powder, etc.etc.etc. Am also amazed at how much his guns are worth, and how little my guns are worth. And CAST, why in the world would any body shoot old fashion stuff. Ah yes, when you do find a reputable dealer at a gun show, it is sort of like seeing a daisy growing out of the center of a fresh cow pie!
1Shirt!:coffeecom

3006guns
06-17-2010, 08:55 AM
Just a thought after reading all the posts............has anyone (or group) actually voiced these complaints/gripes to the gunshow people? The only reason I ask is because of the comment about having your intelligence insulted. The dealers at these shows have to realize that probably 90% of attendees probably have more info and knowledge than they will ever have.

I've been on the "other side" of the table years ago, and there was an inherint respect for the customer's knowledge. If they weren't so knowledgable, you informed them but in a nice conversational manner and NOT to justify your price. Don't like the price? Make me an offer. If we can't agree, no big deal.......nice talking to you anyway!

If the last show I went to is an example of the current "accepted" behaviour with tactical this and that............I'm done.

Shooter6br
06-17-2010, 09:13 AM
Also when you sell a gun it is junk. 5 min later when the dealer puts it out to sell it magically turns to gold.

Ed Barrett
06-17-2010, 07:14 PM
I think all have found that gun we have been looking for at a fair price or less at a show, and we are looking for that "gold nugget" in a pile of feces again. We just have to go through that big pile of feces to find the very rare nugget. What fun would it be if every show I went to they had 1899 Savages in as new shape with Marble and Lyman tang sights for $200 each? Ifound one that way a couple of years ago and I'm still looking for the next one. I found a 340 in 30-30 worth the money at a show in Lebanon after looking for one for 2 years. I complain as much as the next guy about gunshows but I always go back looking for that nugget?

fryboy
06-18-2010, 08:42 AM
I think all have found that gun we have been looking for at a fair price or less at a show, and we are looking for that "gold nugget" in a pile of feces again. We just have to go through that big pile of feces to find the very rare nugget. What fun would it be if every show I went to they had 1899 Savages in as new shape with Marble and Lyman tang sights for $200 each? Ifound one that way a couple of years ago and I'm still looking for the next one. I found a 340 in 30-30 worth the money at a show in Lebanon after looking for one for 2 years. I complain as much as the next guy about gunshows but I always go back looking for that nugget?

nah as we get older we just love to sort thru feces ...... sometimes it's worthy and sometimes...well it's all feces,

years ago i used to collect dbl barrel 12's,seen a parts gun ...listed for $5 more than i had on me ..i of course tried the old make offer routine ...no go ...not a problem [shrugz] i went and borrowed the 5 bucks and went back ,he suddenly didnt want to sell ...wth ? over the course of years i see him all the time , he found out about my hobby from some other dealers and used to try to sales pitch me as i walked by ( and i always made a point to not even look at his table) i flat out told him that if it was free and his he'll never ever get my biz -EVER ! period end of , he wasnt happy about that so i told him why .... as the old sayin goes never ummrelieve urself where u eat ......i do believe in supporting local and little guys even if it cost a lil more ( no not alot more just a lil )i even know a few dealers whom i'll buy something from when i'm not in need when they are having a bad show but for those others......( especially like $75+@1000 primers on gun broker take ur greed and get gone )

JIMinPHX
06-18-2010, 10:13 AM
I learned that every gun I own is only worth about $100. But the good news is my Rockola Carbine is worth about $200.

I'd love to get a Rockola carbine to hang over a Rockola jukebox. It just seems like such an American thing to do.

buck1
06-19-2010, 04:53 PM
The trick is to go early on the first day( Find the few bargans there)
and late on the last day(make lowball offers on over priced stuff and be amazed).

The best stuff at a gunshow are cleaning brushes, MIL cleaning patches, and just being arround gun stuff and a pro gun crowd. The worst thing to buy at a gun show are guns.

Marvin S
06-19-2010, 05:33 PM
I can see all sides but I did go to a show today in Burlingame KS, it was thier first show. The town has a population of about 2 hundred and half are dogs. But I did find a Belgium Hi-power in silver nickel chrome for 400 bucks cash and carry. The same gun is on gun broker for buy it now @ 1300.00.

lead Foot
06-19-2010, 05:57 PM
The trick is to go early on the first day( Find the few bargans there)
and late on the last day(make lowball offers on over priced stuff and be amazed).

So true ~ I went to a gun show a100 miles away. I allways say it's my last:groner: Anyway the parking was free and $5 to get in I found a RCBS 30-180fn $20 never been used and a Saeco four cav with handles for $20 used. you get lucky some time's.
Lead foot;

felix
06-19-2010, 06:11 PM
Let's see....car worth 50 cents per mile (IRS). So, add 50 bucks to the actual money spent. ... felix

Three-Fifty-Seven
06-19-2010, 09:46 PM
Let's see....car worth 50 cents per mile (IRS). So, add 50 bucks to the actual money spent. ... felix

Yeah, but . . . the IRS ain't down there! (I hope!) but yeah, cars don't run for free, and the hour to get there and back too :mrgreen: . . . time is worth something anyways . . . [smilie=1:

felix
06-19-2010, 09:54 PM
Any more, the IRS is just about everywhere there is something there THEY own. They are closing in just about everywhere where you thought your accounts are safe from their eyes. ... felix

mtgrs737
06-19-2010, 10:04 PM
I can see all sides but I did go to a show today in Burlingame KS, it was thier first show. The town has a population of about 2 hundred and half are dogs. But I did find a Belgium Hi-power in silver nickel chrome for 400 bucks cash and carry. The same gun is on gun broker for buy it now @ 1300.00.

Now that is why we go! Good to hear a fellow Kansan had some fun and good fortune at a gun show. It's like Forest Gump said, "you never know what your gona get".

snowtigger
06-20-2010, 10:52 PM
I think I've bought four guns at gun shows, some 308 Norma Ammo, lots of brass, and various ammo. Plus fudge, this lady makes the best fudge I have ever tasted.
MY BEST BUY>>> Of the four guns, two were good buys, one,I paid full tilt because I wanted it, and I figure I stole the other one.
When I was a young buck I had a Remington Model 660 in .350 Rem mag. Life goes on and I had kids, and somewhere along the way, I had to sell it.
Well the kids are all grown and gone now, and I have a LITTLE more money to spend. So, about eight years ago I started scouring used gun racks and gun shows, looking for a 350. I would have taken either a Model 600 or a 660.
A local dealer had a 660, but he thought it was gold. At least I thought it was too much.
Every gun show I attended had a 660 in 6.5 Rem mag, and I almost brought it home several times, but I was holding out for a 350.
I was at a little gun show at our National Guard Armory, just looking, when I spied what looked like that same 6.5. I looked again, and there it was!! A 660 in 350 Rem mag. I picked it up and looked at the price tag. Only $650.00 !! It had only taken Four years.
That shop was asking $950.00 and it was not in as good shape. Well, it was agun show so I had to dicker. I offered , he countered. I started to put it back, anc walk around the block and come back.

That was when I noticed 3 other guys looking at it and waiting for me to walk away. I quickly changed my mind and asked what his bottom dollar was and he said $575.00 I nearly broke my arm getting my wallet out.
I used it last fall to kill a monster moose. It has a massive rack. It is only 54", but it is MASSIVE. I gave it to my hunting partner.His wife is crazy for all things moose and she is having the head mounted for their living room. He was there so I guess it was the thing to do.
I would have just cut the horns off and nailed it to my garage. I got his 44" rackand it IS nailed to my garage.
The foreleg, when seperated, measured seven feet two inches from the hoof to the top of the shoulder blade.
I know I am getting off topic, but I am getting old...LOL

06-28-2010, 03:03 PM
I learned two days ago that the .357 mag was the dumbest caliber out there and that this guy wouldn't even talk about loading for it since the .44 mag and the .32 H&R mag were better then the .357 mag. he also told me i was dumb for disagreeing i just smiled nodded and moved on.

Three-Fifty-Seven
06-28-2010, 04:25 PM
I learned two days ago that the .357 mag was the dumbest caliber out there and that this guy wouldn't even talk about loading for it since the .44 mag and the .32 H&R mag were better then the .357 mag. he also told me i was dumb for disagreeing i just smiled nodded and moved on.

Yeah . . . what were you thinking . . . everybody knows that!:kidding: [smilie=b: ;)

WallyM3
06-28-2010, 10:10 PM
You're both wrong (what'd he say?).

I learned that the best cartridge ever conceived is (was) the Herter .401 PowerMag. The guy looked homeless, but that's not unusual at gun shows.