PDA

View Full Version : Alternative rear sights for 58 cal musket

Frank46
06-12-2010, 03:20 AM
As you know I receently took delivery of a mint unfired armi-sport 58 caliber musket.
Since I don't have any plans to shoot in any competitions and those three little flip flop rear sight leaves just ain't gonna do it. So is there a williams guide rear sight that will fit the curvature of the bbl? or something else. Or something like the ladder sights on the Parker Hale rifles. Am open to any suggestions that you may have.
Thanks, Frank

nicholst55
06-12-2010, 03:49 AM
Take a look at Track of the Wolf's website; they have a wide variety of rifle sights. If you take your barrel out of the stock and measure it and then call them, they can probably help you out.

http://www.trackofthewolf.com/Categories/SubList.aspx?catId=14

Frank46
06-16-2010, 12:54 AM
Thanks for the Track of the Wolf link. Will check them out. The rear sight on my armi-sport zouave appears to have only one screw holding it in place. Will see if I can remove it and what is underneath it as far as wether it is round or flat. Frank

missionary5155
06-16-2010, 11:46 AM
Greetings Frank..
Many years ago I bought a .58 Navy Arms Zouve to pop deer with. Dandy caliber that will shoot clean through TWO good size does standing side by side. My twist was slow so I used .570 RB with 85 grains 2F.
After a couple days practice I realized the rear sight needed to drift a bit to the left to be ON at 100 yards. The origonal does not drift so I removed it and made one that would. Enclosed is a diagram of what the sight looks like and the HALF dove tail I put on my barrel to accomidate my windage sight.
The half dovetail I cut towards the muzzle side and left the rear of the sight slot square.
Material.. a piece of angle iron. I later made another with thicher angle iron. I added a set screw BUT never needed it as I cut the sight to be a tight fit.
Before removing the stock rear sight be sure you know the hieght to drill the center of the PEEP hole.
My group sizes were easily halved . I also put a dobber of white enamel on the front sight. I have refrigerated a good dozen does and bucks with the rig.
Mike in Peru [smilie=2:

Frank46
06-16-2010, 11:56 PM
Mike, looks like you did your homework. I checked on the Goex website for different muzzle velocities with various weight minnie's. Sorta like throwing rocks. The round ball loads were faster of course. Thanks for the info. Frank

rhbrink
06-17-2010, 06:57 AM
I am always doing something with sights like you wish to do with your musket. I have had good luck with the Williams WGRS series of sights, there is a good number of different type of barrels and receivers that they will fit. They won't make one for your rifle but if you have a flat area to put the sight on the Marlin model will work, if more radiused there are several made for different sized barrels and actions that might work. Might have to do a slight modification and drill and tap but they are not expensive and Brownells has a blade repalcement it you don't like the peep.
Good luck

06-17-2010, 12:04 PM
Oh yes, the conundrum of the old idiot proof battlefield sights on muskets. That short barleycorn front with the crude rear sights-- all registered to fixed, arbitrary distance registrations. Ughhh. I guess for "minute of close to enemy" they worked, but for any decent sight picture for target, hunting, load development or sighting-in purposes... not so good- as a matter of fact down right cruddy!

If you have a reproduction gun the only limit is imagination. If you have a valuable original that you don't wish to "bubbasize" but do want to shoot with any level of accuracy, then it's a whole different proposition. With that single rear screw holding the rear on, really not much of a problem adding a Williams or similar type elevation/windage adjustable rear barrel sight as long as the barrel contour (radius) is about the same. Still doesn't address that short barleycorn front though. :(

With those types of guns the height of the front sight coupled with the barrel taper--- it's nearly if not impossible to get the rear sight low enough to zero at shorter distances. The Rem Argentine 79 RB and the Rem Zouave I have with original sights shoot a full 10+" high at 50 yards. The only way to correct that with even the lowest rear sight settings on most any rear barrel sight is to add some height to the front sight. I've added slip-over blades to those front sights secured with JB. Works fine and doesn't butcher the original metal.

Frank46
06-20-2010, 02:51 AM
405, thanks for the tip regarding the williams rear sights. Soon's I get to remove the
old site will have a chance to measure the flat section and see if I can possibly "shoehorn" one in there. Haven't shot the zouave yet and before I do would like a better rear sight. No sense wasting powder and lead. Longest I will probably shoot at is 100yds. Thanks again. Frank

06-20-2010, 01:23 PM
Frank46,
Re: your Armi Sport musket. I'm talking a little out of school since I don't have one nor have I looked at one. My experience is with original muskets- 61s, 63s.

If it has an "original" type rear sight (Model 1861, etc.) then you may have two choices. The cross screw that holds the sight leaves can be removed and maybe an alternate type rear put in the space. Williams is not the only sight maker but they do have a large variety from which you may be able to fashion a usable, adjustable rear sight.

The other choice would be to remove the whole rear sight (base and leaves) and replace with an alternate, adjustable rear sight. Again Williams has a bunch of different ones. If you go that route, it's usually best to pick a rear sight that has a base made for either the exact barrel contour or for a slightly thinner barrel. By going with a base made for exact or slightly thinner barrel the contact between the sight base and the barrel surface will give better alignment and be more secure than the other way.... where the sight base is for a fatter barrel and will be a teeter totter fit along the top center line. Also, be aware that many of the muskets will shoot WAY HIGH at shorter distances, so much so at times as to be impractical- so plan accordingly with rear and front sight heights. Anyways, good luck!